Bit Of A Yarn

Racing Industry Act: The Dissolution of Race Clubs and The Disposal of Surplus Assets.

14 minutes ago, Mikie said:

I think the Clubs concerned really want to wait 2 years!

Mikie

Yeah...that makes sense if the dissolution of a Club was the only way to force the acquisition of a Club's assets.   However from my understanding of the Legislation if NZTR decides your venue is "Surplus" then they can force the issue through that path of the Legislation.

The issue which may be where the legal battle is fought is how is a venue determined to be "Surplus"?

From a natural justice point of view if we use Cambridge Jockey Club as an example.  If on the one hand you give Cambridge $10m and help with the other $6m required to create a NEW racing venue.

Then you TAKE the race dates away from other Clubs and give them to Cambridge so they can pay their way.  Then you say sorry to those you took the dates away from but you are now "Surplus" we want your assets.  Well obviously the race dates themselves were never surplus.  Or more importantly you create NEW race dates but only give them to Cambridge...

Do you get my point?  You create essentially 3 new venues and make a swag of existing venues "Surplus."

I'm guessing that NZTR rather than creating any new criteria are just going to refer back to the Messara Report and what it says are "Surplus."  However as Freda pointed out in a very good post when it suited them those that had been defined as "Surplus" suddenly became needed! 

NZTR and Racing NZ will argue Covid-19 caused that (boy how much in NZ is going to be blamed on Covid-19!) and so you can stuff because you were all fully consulted during the Messara report and the MAC.  The weakness in that argument is that as pointed out by Reefton is that the criteria used was not clear and if there was any it was not applied equally to all venues.  E.g. shit hole Kumara (Reefton quote) vs Hokitika vs Reefton vs Omoto.

• Like 1