Bit Of A Yarn

Question? Why are Fixed Odds opening odds So short??

Brodie

Question I pose is why do the Bookies always open their  Fixed  Odds markets so damn short?

I always look at the harness odds on opening and without fail most of the horses with a chance of placing are opened at less than fair value!!

From my unbiased point of view, this is hardly going to drive turnover!!!

Great that the odds are brought out the night before the meeting, but if the odds are too short and they are going to lengthen the odds out the next day, why would most punters bother until the odds are lengthened?

Yes there is money wagered early if punters  want to get on in case others get on first!

However, it just doesnt make sense to leave it till far later to encourage wagering!!!

If you are running a book, they should be encouraging as much money on as soon as possible, and adjust the odds according to the wagering!

There are many horses in a few of the races tonight, that are just so far under fair value, and therefore not worth the risk of offloading!

What I have noticed is that horses that should be at say $3 for a place they will be at $2.0 for most of the time and then not long before race start time they lengthen to more like what they should be!

By this time the agency has closed or they are not at the PUB TAB to back it, and they certainly are not oncourse!!

The NZ TAB are grossly restricting turnover and this so called “Driving Turnover” that Phil Holden mentioned is just a load BS!!!!

Punters are being turned off punting and many former regular racegoers, are just not bothering with racing anymore, and no new punters are coming thru.

Unless the NZ TAB sort their shite out, racing in NZ is dead in the water!!!

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

“Driving Turnover”

Since Addington became the staple diet for punting I have barely bet.

The size of fields and odds offered are awful. The All Stars have made it almost a waste of time for me.

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

I always look at the harness odds on opening and without fail most of the horses with a chance of placing are opened at less than fair value!!

Whether you go with your gut about the odds on offer or do your own ratings you can only be disappointed by the odds set. Keep the hotpot short for sure, but lengthen the others a bit to tease. How often are there 5 or 6 horses under $5 these days.

25 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Since Addington became the staple diet for punting I have barely bet.

The size of fields and odds offered are awful. The All Stars have made it almost a waste of time for me.

Whether you go with your gut about the odds on offer or do your own ratings you can only be disappointed by the odds set. Keep the hotpot short for sure, but lengthen the others a bit to tease. How often are there 5 or 6 horses under $5 these days.

Happy, I am the same, can not be bothered with their pathetic odd setting!

Sods Law,I really liked but at $2.05 into less than $2.0 for a horse that had not placed on an allweather track in 15 starts, is blatant buying money!

The TAB Bookies are being absolute tossers with their odd setting, and are Not Driving Turnover!!

The tote turnover is so low now as punters just can not be bothered and will get worse as the unemployment rate climbs in the next month or so.

The racing with the AllStars involved is just a borefest with the team driving and also filling all the dividend bearing placings that they have several horses in!

When you have your best trotters and pacers racing with 5 or 6 horse fields, you know things are just not flash!

Do not think the harness racing industry is going to flourish going forward unfortunately, and we seem to be waiting for Mr Phil Holdens speech arent we?

7 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Addington is Auckland.

I await the resumption of racing at different tracks.

I actually thought that Addington racing twice weekly would be good, as kt ks a very fair track.

However Brodie hasnt been on the money on this one!

The Bookies are posting shorter odds  than they should and so I can not be bothered.

Yes we need different tracks for variety cos Purdons domination is tedious, they may as well just pay them out

Edited by Brodie

11 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Favourite punters and ones who like to see 'good' horse will be liking it, Brodie. 

We are the miniority. 

Happy, we may well be the minority, however the people that I have known for a long time that are enthusiasts, are just not bothering punting nor going oncourse.

Racing is struggling and can not see the lefty government bailing out racing again, as Peters will not be around with cap in hand,

The Greenies want rid of the pokies as well, so that will stuff Auckland.

Racing is on the ropes u fortunately and wouldve been on the canvas, had it not  been for the handout from the taxpayer!

Where is Phil Holden’s announcement?