Bit Of A Yarn

Getting guaranteed crowds on course.

Rusty

Cup Day, Jewels Day, Covid Day? 

Why couldn't racecourses and the land they are positioned on be used for Covid19 testing facilities? 

The traffic jams and extensive queues look horrific at some places. I heard in some places today commuters were ditching their cars at places and walking to work due to traffic jams. 

There is plenty of space at racecourses (even during race days with no crowds oncourse!). They are usually fairly well located geographically and you could have punters, sorry patients, lining up round the racecourse and/or in the car park/hard stand areas in their cars. 

Probably wouldn't want too many urban tractors on the trotting all-weather surfaces, but the gallops tracks could be a goer I reckon. Actually maybe not... hmmm nah, they might be ok, unless it is absolutely coming down from a great height and the penetrometer reading is no worse than a Soft 7. 

Whilst the punters, sorry patients, are waiting for their tests, they could be given information sheets on how to place bets, complimentary race books and pens, face painting and kiddy totes for the children, and cheap beer, pies and chips could be on offer. In the higher socio-economic areas the old man with the $9 icey coloured snow-cones could be brought in, maybe in late January with the warmer weather.

Lolly scrambles probably couldn't take place due to social distancing rules, but they could possibly be already banned as far as I know due to potential discrimination issues these days, due to festively plumper/less mobile kids being less agile and slower than the faster, skinnier kids. 

For a lot of people this could be their first time at a racecourse, so every possible step should be taken to ensure their experience is an enjoyable one. 

Right that's enough from me... I'm off to the Covid testing station. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rusty said:

Cup Day, Jewels Day, Covid Day? 

Why couldn't racecourses and the land they are positioned on be used for Covid19 testing facilities? 

The traffic jams and extensive queues look horrific at some places. I heard in some places today commuters were ditching their cars at places and walking to work due to traffic jams. 

There is plenty of space at racecourses (even during race days with no crowds oncourse!). They are usually fairly well located geographically and you could have punters, sorry patients, lining up round the racecourse and/or in the car park/hard stand areas in their cars. 

Probably wouldn't want too many urban tractors on the trotting all-weather surfaces, but the gallops tracks could be a goer I reckon. Actually maybe not... hmmm nah, they might be ok, unless it is absolutely coming down from a great height and the penetrometer reading is no worse than a Soft 7. 

Whilst the punters, sorry patients, are waiting for their tests, they could be given information sheets on how to place bets, complimentary race books and pens, face painting and kiddy totes for the children, and cheap beer, pies and chips could be on offer. In the higher socio-economic areas the old man with the $9 icey coloured snow-cones could be brought in, maybe in late January with the warmer weather.

Lolly scrambles probably couldn't take place due to social distancing rules, but they could possibly be already banned as far as I know due to potential discrimination issues these days, due to festively plumper/less mobile kids being less agile and slower than the faster, skinnier kids. 

For a lot of people this could be their first time at a racecourse, so every possible step should be taken to ensure their experience is an enjoyable one. 

Right that's enough from me... I'm off to the Covid testing station. 

This is a really good idea, and great use of vastly under-utilised resources!!

18 hours ago, Rusty said:

festively plumper 😂

Can you become a race caller Rusty? You would bring back the crowds, maybe not the festively plumper ones, but I am sure you would be a hit.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

festively plumper 😂

Can you become a race caller Rusty? You would bring back the crowds, maybe not the festively plumper ones, but I am sure you would be a hit.

I gave race calling a go back in '88-'89 but was absolutely rubbish at it. Just couldn't for the life of me remember the colours (except for the good horses, or the ones I had some coin on). 

However I'd definitely bring the crowds back, festively plumper punters and all - with the introduction of 99 cent "meat" pies oncourse. Don't ask. Just eat and enjoy. 

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Surely that would have made you a strong contender for a position with the RIU or a starter or the boss of HRNZ?

Can't believe you didn't go on with it!

Funny you should say that Happy. You are right on the money. I was fortunate enough to get offered a stipes job couple of years ago. True story. They seemed like a nice enough bunch back then.

I'd be dead keen to be a race starter.

How do I go about trying to become one? I think I am suitably qualified... 

I'm usually pretty aggro, full of myself and think I can do no wrong, I'm always right. My eyes aren't all that great, but I like the sound of my own voice. So much so, that often I can be heard just yelling out to myself; "HAAAPPPPY", or "RIIIIIIIIIIGHT". 

• Haha 1