NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Te Rapa gone

Turny

Another management cock-up you mean!

Too much sand put on, resulting in too much kick back, hence the poor visibility. 

Disgraceful.

Now consider how much it has cost all of the participants (tens of thousands I would suggest) simply because of mismanagement.

When will they ever learn?

Sack the idiots is my suggestion. 

• Like 1

With the amount of rain about, no other meeting in NZ would have even got off the ground, so to blame the sand of the track is a bit much. The fact the track was sanded was the very reason the meeting could even be considered today. Te Rapa of old would have been a quagmire.

Well we will just have to agree to disagree.

Personally I prefer to go with what the Stipe said today and what was reported a couple of weeks ago.

In both instances it was stated that too much sand had been applied!

By the way, how much rain have they really had?

Since midnight until now, the official data is only 4.6mm!

At Cambridge yesterday looked fine to me!

Had it rained all week?

Edited by Dark Beau

3 minutes ago, mardigras said:

9mm does not a quagmire make. Was there an extra150mm during the week?

Come on man, I thought you were intelligent.

I said the old Te Rapa, which would have been a heavy 11 from rain that happened 2 weeks ago.

Todays rain would have finished it off before it even started.

its been solid heavy rain since 9am and has not stopped, in fact its got a lot heavier in the last hour. I am sitting at home with lights on as its so dark, as I said in a previous post, no other venue in NZ would have gone ahead with the current weather either.

Brady said with the rail out 12 mtrs today they are on newer ground and the sand hasn't worked into the surface enough yet in that part of the track. The rail is out so far due to Te Rapa racing again next Sat.

I think the track is completely stuffed - but they are not alone

Gotta feel for Avondale - when will they wake up - ridiculous decisions being made 

Let's hope the Ellerslie work is good in the long term as Northern racing is hurting big time - Counties and The Rapa now summer tracks 

Edited by Turny

1 minute ago, Turny said:

I think the track is completely stuffed - but they are not alone

Gotta feel for Avondale - when will they wake up - ridiculous decisions being made 

Let's hope the Ellerslie work is good in the long term as Northern racing is hurting big time

Its the first rain related abandonment at Te Rapa I can remember in a very long time, so not sure where you are coming from there.

2 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I'd go so far to say even an AWT would have been abandoned.  It is an extreme weather event.  Slow moving low - dumped 30mm on us in Whangarei last 24 hours.  Auckland copped it last night and this morning.  Now in Hamilton.

For sure, the right call was made to abandon racing. it got significantly worse in the last 10 mins, now torrential.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, barryb said:

For sure, the right call was made to abandon racing. it got significantly worse in the last 10 mins, now torrential.

looking ahead, racing scheduled for Te Rapa on Saturday...rain expected every day through Wednesday..I wonder if the TAB will offer a market on abandonment?

15 minutes ago, Weasel said:

looking ahead, racing scheduled for Te Rapa on Saturday...rain expected every day through Wednesday..I wonder if the TAB will offer a market on abandonment?

Thurs, Fri & Sat all fine, it will go ahead.

Sand based track, drains in 1 day of no rain.

Just now, Chief Stipe said:

It's the rate of fall.  Large amount in a couple of hours on ground that would already be at water capacity.   Hasn't been a lot of drying lately.

You're kidding right. 9mm in 10 mins with out a lot of prior rain is nothing. Simply because 9mm is nothing.

The amount of prior rain quantity had not been indicated - which I asked about.

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, barryb said:

Come on man, I thought you were intelligent.

I said the old Te Rapa, which would have been a heavy 11 from rain that happened 2 weeks ago.

Todays rain would have finished it off before it even started.

its been solid heavy rain since 9am and has not stopped, in fact its got a lot heavier in the last hour. I am sitting at home with lights on as its so dark, as I said in a previous post, no other venue in NZ would have gone ahead with the current weather either.

Brady said with the rail out 12 mtrs today they are on newer ground and the sand hasn't worked into the surface enough yet in that part of the track. The rail is out so far due to Te Rapa racing again next Sat.

They were bloody lucky...we had 60mls yesterday and Kerikeri had 90......?

27 minutes ago, mardigras said:

You're kidding right. 9mm in 10 mins with out a lot of prior rain is nothing. Simply because 9mm is nothing.

The amount of prior rain quantity had not been indicated - which I asked about.

146mm in last 30 days, none all week as its been fine and frosty.

Regardless, even if they decided to press on the meeting would not be still going now, its torrential.