Bit Of A Yarn

Are the Auckland Racing Club RACIST?

If one looks at their marketing...videos, stills, trackside....

Its just a bunch of young white middle/upper class trendys getting pissed, then dance partying the night away....after spending up big on hospo...

Wheres the inclusion of the working class from Sth Auckland...or the vastly untapped Chinese community who absolutely love the punt...the Indian Community

....who remembers their Chinese New Year promotion...now long gone....

...in fact ZERO Clubs celebrate Chinese New Year...what a total abrogation of Racing's responsibility to being inclusive then...

Maybe it's not purposely targeting only young urban trendsetters but it certainly gives that strong impression...just look

Time to change up HQ

https://www.ellerslie.co.nz/new-zealand-bloodstock-karaka-million

2 hours ago, Thomass said:

....who remembers their Chinese New Year promotion...now long gone....

...in fact ZERO Clubs celebrate Chinese New Year...what a total abrogation of Racing's responsibility to being inclusive then...

I thought the same thing, thought they could do something big with this. However I asked someone from either NZtr or the club, I forget now who. But remembering them saying it was a disaster and waste of money as they come along and ate all the food stuck around for a race and all left. 

9 minutes ago, Bid said:

I thought the same thing, thought they could do something big with this. However I asked someone from either NZtr or the club, I forget now who. But remembering them saying it was a disaster and waste of money as they come along and ate all the food stuck around for a race and all left. 

Sounds like it wasn't managed very well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Thomarse by the modern definition of racist you have just shown yourself to be one.

I doubt you have the intellect to work out why.

Mate you couldn't work out a Chinese pictionary for a Lego coffee table flatpak...so no lectures about cop the f on thanks

This HQ crowd is just a bunch of Kings College/Dio school leavers looking for a quick life partner...

Ellerslie couldn't care less if they grow the 'punting aspect'...for the Thoroughbred Industry's benefit...its all about the bottom line in hospo..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bid said:

True, wasn't it Cam George's idea?

Sounded badly organised if they couldn't entice them for even half a day...

Jason Tan was a lone voice last year when appealing to racing's boffins and how they've missed the boat on this...

Even NZ Bloodstock ignored Chinese New Year by continuing to schedule sales over this special time...so HK buyers largely stay home

2 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Even NZ Bloodstock ignored Chinese New Year by continuing to schedule sales over this special time...so HK buyers largely stay home

FFS you honestly believe this?  Tell me which serious Hong Kong buyer stays at home instead of going to the NZ Yearling sales because of Chinese New Year?  Aside from the fact that Chinese New Year this year is on the 12th of FEBRUARY!  It can fall anytime between 21 January and 21 February.  It is a bit like our Easter in that respect as it coincides with the movement of the moon.  You can't seriously be thinking that we should align our national yearling sales with the Gregorian lunar calendar?  Lunacy!

Have you ever stopped to think that the reason why the Chinese Year promotion "failed" is because the wrong assumptions were made in the first place?  Don't you see that for the same reason you state Hong Kong buyers don't come to the sales is the same reason the Chinese don't go to a raceday on the Chinese New Year (aside from the fact your dates are all wrong)? 

Hong Kong does not race on Chinese New Year's day (Friday) or the day after (Saturday).  Why?  Because it is a time when the Chinese spend time with their FAMILY - not at a racecourse!  I bet if you look at plane movements you'll see a lot of Chinese flying back to China during this period.

This is another reason why the Hong Kong Chinese New Year Meeting attracts a lot of people!  (from last year the meeting was held 27 January with New Year's being the 25th).  

screenshot-campaigns.hkjc.com-2021.01.22-08_48_57.png

Andrew Seabrook...

“While we couldn’t match last year’s record average...

...The sale clashing with Chinese New Year wasn’t ideal however increased participation from Dubai countered its effect.”

So last year's average dropped...due to Chinese buyers staying home with their families...

26 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Andrew Seabrook...

“While we couldn’t match last year’s record average...

...The sale clashing with Chinese New Year wasn’t ideal however increased participation from Dubai countered its effect.”

So last year's average dropped...due to Chinese buyers staying home with their families...

Really Thomarse?  Are you believing NZB's spin when it suits you?  Who didn't turn up?  Were less horses sold to Hong Kong?  I guess they had to find a reason for the average dropping - nothing to do with any other factor of course!  One moment he blames the Chinese New Year then says it didn't matter because the Arabs turned up in force.  It's BS!  Hong Kong bought 40 horses out of K1 in 2020 and 43 in 2019.  65 in 2018.  What was the cause of them not buying in 2019?

As a % of the K1 book Hong Kong actually bought MORE in 2020 than 2019 as K1 was 23 horses less in total.  Take into account withdrawals - 2019 636 horses available for sale HK bought 6%.  2020 614 6.5%.  So HK actually bought MORE during Chinese New Year than the year before!  Perhaps NZB should shift the sale every year to clash with Chinese New Year.

You really expect NZ to realign it's yearling sales and racing calendar with the lunar calendar?  Lunacy.