Bit Of A Yarn

West Coast Racing

Reefton

I have had a guy ring me this morning seeking info about West Coast Racing identities and in particular Jockeys who hailed from the Coast.  Now there are some obvious ones(the Skeltons, the McCanns, Maria Hampton, Ashlee Mundy for instance) but can BOAYers let me know any others they can think of who originated from the Coast.  I know of a few who were lesser lights who have come form here in my time but I think we are looking for more notable riders.  Artie Stokes and Ned Thistoll were mentioned as well.

Anyone help???

14 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Where did Michael Mein come from?  Or was his name Graeme?

Canterbury.  Michael was the son Graeme the father and there was another brother Philip who roade a winner or two and another brother Paul who was a journo for a long time.  Michael Mein - what a wasted talent he was

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

What were the farmers doing this year at Reefton?  Gone to the Melbourne Cup maybe?

Photographs relating to horse racing

at least they were clearly using the fence - no bias in evidence on the best prepared track in NZ that day

6 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

The track is cutting out a bit Reefton!

?src=http%3A%2F%2Fndhadeliver.natlib.gov

looks rather like PS Richards aboard a Coulbeck runner.  Extremely unusual to see a little moisture on the (no doubt) superbly prepared Reefton course

30 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Doing some research I found this of Hokitika in it heyday!  Didn't realise there used to be racecourses at Okarito, Hari Hari and Kokatahi!  Hell must have been some circuit in those days!  

AWNS_19280906_p046_i008_x.jpg

they had picnic meetings all over the place.  Kevin Lalor used to tell me about the Hari Hari Sports - he used to ride there.  There was another at Slatey Creek(near Pike River) and the Craigburn sports day was held at Bill Kennedy's at Atarau/Ikamatua

28 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

LOL this is fun!  My Great Grandmother Mrs Graham was the first female publican in New Zealand.  She owned and ran the Kokatahi Hotel which was 15 mile inland from Hokitika.  Looks like she even had her own racecourse!

Kokatahi Racing Club races - January 1913

f... I didn't know you descended from the Grahams at Kokatahi!  That means you would be a relation of Stan's?  Better show you a bit more respect in future(take note Tom arse - this bloke's relation didn't bugger about when someone annoyed him)

11 minutes ago, Reefton said:

f... I didn't know you descended from the Grahams at Kokatahi!  That means you would be a relation of Stan's?  Better show you a bit more respect in future(take note Tom arse - this bloke's relation didn't bugger about when someone annoyed him)

Yep dear old Stan was a relation (although I do have an out as I was adopted - my birth family are from prominent Waikato Thoroughbred owning/breeding stock).  LOL I was actually in the movie Bad Blood about Stanley - played an army cadet involved in the final shootout.

My cousin is a Policeman and he was on his first placement in Wellington after finishing at Police College.  It was the day of the Aramoana shooting where I think 13 people were killed.  One of my cousins colleagues walked past and said "Looks like your family has lost the record!"  Stanley shot and killed 7.  My cousin responded with good old laconic dry wit - "Yeah but we still hold the record for shooting the most Policemen."  I guess that story isn't particularly PC nowadays.

Took the Army, Airforce, what was left of the local Police force and a team of local farmers to capture Stan.  Even then "capture" is a moot point as having been shot about a week earlier he was suffering from gangrene and blood poisoning and many believe he was handing himself in.

• Like 1

This is from the 1890 Grey Evening Star.  It talks about 10 race meetings on the Coast in a given year at 5 venues.  5,000 pounds in stakes - an average of 200 pounds per race in prize money.  I just did a conversion of that to today's money.  The total prize money for the Coast would have been $890,000 or approximately $30,000 a race!

It seems even then the West Coast Club weren't working together!

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

Most of you are probably bored now but there is so much of this historical stuff online.  Some of it is really funny and really interesting.

Just read the results from the Westland Racing Club 1876 meeting.  200 pounds was bet on each race = in today's money $30,000.  The winner in one race paid 11 pounds to win or $1,650.  Yes it was the outsider!  2,000 people on course for the meeting!

LOL  in 1887 two steamships the Wallabi and the Kennedy travelled to Hokitika for the Westland Racing Clubs Easter Meeting.  Also a steam train travelled from Greymouth.

Surprising the Wallabi made it as the year previously trying to get to the Greymouth races it ran aground at Cobden.

68061-max

The Kennedy.

ken06.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Most of you are probably bored now but there is so much of this historical stuff online.  Some of it is really funny and really interesting.

Just read the results from the Westland Racing Club 1876 meeting.  200 pounds was bet on each race = in today's money $30,000.  The winner in one race paid 11 pounds to win or $1,650.  Yes it was the outsider!  2,000 people on course for the meeting!

yes well it isn't helping much with my search for info re jockeys originating from the West Coast

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Reefton - were you on the job in 1936?  The entrance looks in good order!

Entrance gates to the racecourse at Reefton

As usual the best presented venue around. Whilst 1936 was 27 years before my birth it is notable that the Reefton Jockey Club would still in 2021 lap em when it comes to venue presentation