Bit Of A Yarn

Big Changes Coming For Thoroughbred Racing: Deja Vu or Groundhog Day?

Chief Stipe

On 3/04/2021 at 11:15 AM, Chief Stipe said:

George has already proven himself to be a change agent as chief executive of the Warriors rugby league club

I'm not sure if Guerin was writing this piece as a journalist or an opinion writer but it was essentially a puff piece sourced from George and the extract above highlights this.  What the f$$# is a change agent and whether any change is good surely depends on outcomes.  There is nothing "new" in this trite hackneyed plan is anything new and indeed in that it is highly hypocritical given what has happened to clubs over the past decade eg centralised funding, the removal of any direct revenue flow from betting income etc  Further it strings a long bow to suggest that the "change" undertaken by George at the Warriors has produced any benefits.  It may be too soon to judge but there is every indication that it is all perception and there is no substance - something that is very evident in all George's "roles" in this country. Talk tough - do nothing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chief Stipe said:

Does he mean more turf track surfaces like Riccarton?

I'm buggered if I could hear anything 'concrete' uttered. Lots of circular talk, IMO. I didn't hear one project mentioned. I did hear lots of "this is an action plan" stuff & lots to happen over the next 12 months. All of these wonderful plan points, once implemented, will provide the stakes increases required. Good stakes, tracks & facilities will also keep more horses in NZ. Who knew?

The bit that really showed me how worrying this all is was CG's use of the words, "this IS simple and EFFECTIVE". Htf, do you know it is/will be effective? If you know what all the answers are, in terms of projects & changes etc., then tell us now. Then, once you've had measurable success (concrete stuff), you can justifiably use that word, but not while a lot of struggling grass-roots participants continue to see their future as something more akin to walking toward sinking sand.

I really hope time will prove that I am just a Luddite on all this, but in the meantime, I won't be holding my breath.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Chimbu said:

I'm buggered if I could hear anything 'concrete' uttered. Lots of circular talk, IMO. I didn't hear one project mentioned. I did hear lots of "this is an action plan" stuff & lots to happen over the next 12 months. All of these wonderful plan points, once implemented, will provide the stakes increases required. Good stakes, tracks & facilities will also keep more horses in NZ. Who knew?

The bit that really showed me how worrying this all is was CG's use of the words, "this IS simple and EFFECTIVE". Htf, do you know it is/will be effective? If you know what all the answers are, in terms of projects & changes etc., then tell us now. Then, once you've had measurable success (concrete stuff), you can justifiably use that word, but not while a lot of struggling grass-roots participants continue to see their future as something more akin to walking toward sinking sand.

I really hope time will prove that I am just a Luddite on all this, but in the meantime, I won't be holding my breath.

If it is that simple, Cameron...

Why hasn't it been done before, and

Just. Fucking.Do.It.   don't tell us how its going to be, heard it all before.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Horace said:

If it is that simple, Cameron...

Why hasn't it been done before, and

Just. Fucking.Do.It.   don't tell us how its going to be, heard it all before.

Not that I want to disagree, but.....

Given history are we sure that this new broom is going to sweep any better given most of the bristles appear to be the same type or re-used?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dark Beau said:

I couldn’t agree more. I couldn’t believe what I was reading. It’s unbelievable. Personally I quite like Bernard and was prepared to give him a chance even though I had seen very little evidence of anything positive, but this bullshit confirms that him and his board are no better than John Allen and TAB Board (or whatever they were called at the time) 

It’s simply PR spin, pie in sky crap, wishful thinking or bullshit. 

There’s not a single line telling us how they are going to do anything.  😢

Quiet funny when think about it. Both John Allen and Cameron George have had bullying issued raised against them in former jobs. Allan NZ Post and  George RIU. You think NZ Racing, want more away from these low achiever types,  ex NZ First types. But nope! we want decrease thing even more.

• Like 1