Bit Of A Yarn

Gleneagles’ Highland Chief Upsets Yibir in Man o’War

• Journalists

HIGHLAND CHIEF (IRE) (h, 5, Gleneagles {Ire}–Pink Symphony {GB}, by Montjeu {Ire}) sprung a major upset, taking down late-breaking champion Yibir (GB) (Dubawi {Ire}) as the longest shot on the board at 19-1 in the GI Man o'War S. Saturday at Belmont. It was the first Grade I victory for jockey Trevor McCarthy. The Eclipse winner and heavy favorite Yibir missed the break, trailing the field early. Meanwhile, Highland Chief went up to press the front-running Abaan (Will Take Charge) through a half in :51.84 and three-quarters in 1:17.60. Yibir and Grade I winner Gufo (Declaration of War) moved in tandem as the mile went in 1:42.04. Highland Chief took control at the top of the stretch and held off the late-running Grade I duo to get the win by a half-length. Gufo held off the Eclipse winner for second. Placing in several group races in England, Highland Chief made just one start in the U.S. prior to this, finishing ninth in an Aqueduct optional claimer Apr. 14. Lifetime Record: 13-3-2-2.

O/B-Mrs. Fitriani Hay (Ire); T-Graham Motion.

avw.php?zoneid=45&cb=67700179&n=af62659d

The post Gleneagles’ Highland Chief Upsets Yibir in Man o’War appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

View the full article