Bit Of A Yarn

Improving stayer no Flash in the pan

• Journalists

Seven months ago, Oceanic Flash (NZ) (Sacred Falls) was winless after a handful of starts and his owners had started to consider their options.

Trainers Gerald Ryan and Sterling Alexiou convinced them to persevere and it proved sage advice, with the grey son of Sacred Falls going on to claim a hat-trick of victories.

“They were nearly going to sell him and I said, ‘don’t sell him until we get him out over 1800 again’ and that was when he won at Newcastle then he went and won four of his next five,” Ryan said.

“He came a long way as the journeys got longer last time and he as always given the impression he would stay.”

The four-year-old resumed with a promising third to Norwegian Bliss (NZ) (El Roca) over 1300m at Hawkesbury, the shortest distance he has ever contested.

He rises to 1800m in Saturday’s Fujitsu General Handicap and while it is a quick increase in trip, Ryan is confident the horse will take it in his stride.

“He has come up really well and it wasn’t a surprise he ran well first-up because he has been going well,” Ryan said.

“I know he is jumping straight to 1800 but I don’t think that will worry him a great deal, especially if the track gets a bit better.

“He has done well since and worked well since.”

If Oceanic Flash can continue on his current trajectory, Ryan has designs on stepping him up to stakes grade.

“There is a 2000 metre Listed race towards the end of June and if he was good there, I might even think about the Caloundra Cup with him,” he said.

Apprentice Tom Sherry has the ride on Saturday.

View the full article