Bit Of A Yarn

Thornton’s Australian venture opens at Flemington

• Journalists

The next stage of Craig Thornton’s international racing career will open in earnest at Flemington on Saturday when the experienced New Zealand horseman saddles his first Australian runner.

The former successful jumps jockey turned trainer will be represented by the Kiwi-bred El Gladiador, who will step out in the PDC Food Services Plate (1800m).

“I had My Willie Montague over here many years ago, but I had to run him under Kevin Myers’ name because I couldn’t be a trainer and a jockey then,” Thornton said.

“I rode him in the Cup Day Hurdle at Flemington (in 2002) and finished fourth, but this will be my first official runner.

“Obviously, El Gladiador is a well-performed horse on the flat so we want to see where he fits in over here, but jumping down the line is something we will consider.”

El Gladiador won seven races in New Zealand for breeder, owner and co-trainer Karen Parsons and following his last-start success at Riccarton in March, Thornton and prominent Victorian owner Sandy McGregor leased an interest in the son of Ghibellines.

Chairman of the Australian Jumping Racing Association, McGregor was a driving force behind Thornton’s move to Victoria where he is temporarily based at Warrnambool.

“Andrew Seabrook from New Zealand Bloodstock introduced me to Sandy and I had a little bit to do with Andrew when I was training in China,” Thornton said.

“He said I was the man for the job with Sandy, who approached me before Christmas about coming over to train. He is forming a number of syndicates and looking to lease stayers and jumpers.

“It’s in conjunction with the Hamilton Racing Club and they have beautiful facilities on course and require a resident trainer there.

“They approached me also and Sandy is involved with them and that’s where I’m heading at the end of this month.”

Hamilton is located in south-western Victoria and about an hour’s drive from Warrnambool.

“I’ll have room for 30 and it’s a beautiful set-up. I’ve got four at Warrnambool at the moment and will be looking to build up as I interview staff and get a team around me,” Thornton said.

“I am really excited about getting up to Hamilton. The committee has got right behind me and the facilities are second to none.

“They own land around the racecourse that we can utilise and they have bent over backwards to help me.”

Thornton is happy to take a patient approach to establishing his stable, which already has a European flavour to it.

“Sandy said to take my time so we’re not in any major hurry. We’re ticking along and I’ve got a well-performed horse from Europe in quarantine at the moment and he gets out next Tuesday,” he said.

“He’s called Bell Ex One and Sandy bought him in Ireland and he ran at Cheltenham and finished third of 22 runners in the Fred Winter Novice Hurdle.”

A son of Excelebration, Bell Ex One has won three hurdle races in Ireland and two on the flat up to 1900m.

“We’re pretty excited about him and he’s only a four-year-old and we potentially think he can win flat races here,” Thornton said.

“We are looking to lease more New Zealand horses and Sandy has got a number of syndicates here with people who just want to race horses and the money on offer is quite incredible.” 

A former champion jumps jockey, Thornton won numerous prestige events in New Zealand and also rode successfully in Australia, America and Japan. On retirement, he trained more than 100 domestic winners before a stint in China.

On his return to New Zealand in 2019, he took up a senior position as a travelling foreman with the Te Akau operation before embarking on his latest Australian venture.

View the full article