Bit Of A Yarn

False Step

Happy Sunrise

I asked this in the thread about the 5 best pacers but no one has answered and I'm interested to know if anyone has an any idea.

How come False Step was not included in the  top 5 pacers when he won 3, yes 3, NZ cups from 1958 to 1960 and a derby in 1956.

He also went to Ameriva and beat their best horse at the time.

It can't be because of his era as Highland Fling raced earlier than him.

Anyone know why or is it too long ago?

• Like 1

One has to ask who made that list in the first place. Probably someone like you and me ,with a personal bent. 

Maybe a more pertinent question would have been top 10, as the period covered encompasses a whole heap of great horses.

Who knows. The whole thing is subjective ,apart from Cardigan Bay that is.

• Like 1

Before my time I'm afraid Happy, but I too have always wondered why False Step seemed to be relatively under-rated by posterity, compared to horses who, at least on the face of it, would seem to have inferior records. Perhaps he just got overshadowed, and hence subsequently overlooked, by Lordship and Cardigan Bay arriving on the scene shortly after him (history and Lazarus may yet deal the same cruel hand to TTL). But that's only a guess (and not an informed one at that!), I don't really know.  

• Champ Post 1