Bit Of A Yarn

Ignorance, Arrogance, Stupidity, Incompetence? It's a very fine line.

I just happened to be looking through some upcoming programmes. There hasn't been any real detail announced regarding the trumpetted stakes increases and I have been intrigued to see what they might do with the 3yo classics. I always thought the temptation must be overwhelming for them.

I see the 2,000 Guineas is going up $50,000 to $550,000. What on earth is the point? $50,000 just pissed away into a race that doesn't need it. It won't keep a single extra horse in the country. It won't attract a single extra horse to the race. The 1,000 Guineas incidentally is going up $100,000 to $400,000. 

Will Te Akau sit back and think "Hmmm.. we were going to send all our 3yos to Oz for a change, but the 2,000 Guineas has just gone up $50,000 so big change of plans."

NZ 3yos go to Riccarton because it's an easy go at Group 1 status for horses that could never win a Group 1 in Aussie. Will Pike come out next week and say " I was going to send this horse to Melbourne, but the 2,000 Guineas has just gone up $50,000 so we are staying here."

I imagine the Oaks will probably go to $500,000, or more. God knows what they will do to the Derby. $1.2m, probably more. Where is it being run next season, Te Awamutu or something isn't it?

The 3yo classics winners and placegetters have hardly excelled for many, many years. Hard to rememeber more than a very small handful that have gone on to win big races. NZTR's answer is to keep boosting the stakes. Do they not realise they would be better off fixing the programming and the pattern of racing to create more interesting and competitive racing. 

I see the Livamol at HB has gone to $330,000. Not the standard $300,000 for Group 1s, $330,000. What on earth impact will that extra $30,000 have on the field? We do waste money don't we. It is quite discouraging really. 

I wonder if they might be tempted to throw a few hundred thousand at the two big sweepstake races, it must be tempting  Not sure where they are being held this coming season; probably Pirongia.

In answer to my own original question, I go with incompetence, but it could easy be all of the other three options as well.

• Like 3

Mate your going to do your head in trying to fathom their rationale , they could all be half of what they are and still attract the same fields , because if someone says my horse could win more in Aus they would go anyway , there is only a handful of horses each season out of NZ that are competitive in any group level race , even most of our G1 racehorses struggle to win city Saturday races .  

But hey minimum is up to 14k , so really who are we plebs to look to the promised land of group racing and complain , be bloody grateful i say .

• Like 2