NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Racing Data

hesi

Have a look at Cricinfo at the wealth of data available on a test match under stats and hawk eye

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/18018/statistics/1119551/england-vs-india-3rd-test-ind-in-eng-2018

Why can't racing get up to speed with related data like this, pretty sure the technology is available via GPS

200m sectionals for each race

Therefore the ability to look, at last 600m, first 600m, mid race sectionals etc etc

GPS tracker for each horse, showing the track it took in the race

Therefore the ability to look at each horse, compare runs by adding in selected horses, get a total distance run.  Would take a lot of the guesswork out of how much further a horse runs when it draws wide or comes 8 wide on the turn etc etc

How is it that Cricinfo can do this and keep on improving it , and Racing stumbles along year after year.

I've followed cricket and Cricinfo for many years, and it is impressive the amount of data and presentation that is available through the technology that is being used

Thanks, is it available on desktop

Punters Intel

Brought to you by Racing NSW, Punter’s Intel provides the ultimate tool to access race data and view dynamic 3D replays of NSW thoroughbred races. Performance data is collected 50 times per second via saddle cloth mounted transmitters and collated in the app to show race times, sectional times, distance travelled, top speed and positioning for every horse in the race. The app also allows users to view a 3D simulated replay of the race and control camera angles as well as select data to be viewed throughout the race.

1 hour ago, hesi said:

Thanks, is it available on desktop

Punters Intel

Brought to you by Racing NSW, Punter’s Intel provides the ultimate tool to access race data and view dynamic 3D replays of NSW thoroughbred races. Performance data is collected 50 times per second via saddle cloth mounted transmitters and collated in the app to show race times, sectional times, distance travelled, top speed and positioning for every horse in the race. The app also allows users to view a 3D simulated replay of the race and control camera angles as well as select data to be viewed throughout the race.

And if it was user pays do you think it would be a commercial success.?

And if it was viable other punters would say to themselves "I haven't the time to study all this info therefore am disadvantaged so won't bet."

A catch 22.

The more data you have on any sporting contest, the better you are able to analyse the performance of the participants.

With cricket, it seems like every time you watch, the presenters have more data available to analyse the performance of a side, batsmen or bowler.

As for who pays for it, who funds for Cricinfo, as it is free

22 minutes ago, hesi said:

The more data you have on any sporting contest, the better you are able to analyse the performance of the participants.

With cricket, it seems like every time you watch, the presenters have more data available to analyse the performance of a side, batsmen or bowler.

As for who pays for it, who funds for Cricinfo, as it is free

The point I am trying to make is those supplying the info often wallow in the fancy look of the data and ignore the persons time factor.

A good example is Des Coppins trainers interviews on the radio. Now who has the time to wait around or have playing the radio half the day. The interviews should be digitized and available on the internet. THe TV presenters instead of trying to pick winners should be  assembling  the sources of info and cutting racing fans time in searching for the information. Its all about time.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

The point I am trying to make is those supplying the info often wallow in the fancy look of the data and ignore the persons time factor.

A good example is Des Coppins trainers interviews on the radio. Now who has the time to wait around or have playing the radio half the day. The interviews should be digitized and available on the internet. THe TV presenters instead of trying to pick winners should be  assembling  the sources of info and cutting racing fans time in searching for the information. Its all about time.

Many of these interviews are linked on the NZTR site...left hand side under News

http://www.nzracing.co.nz/Home.aspx

3 hours ago, The Centaur said:

I think punters and those interested would quickly come to grips with what data was important and to be looked at on a regular basis, and what data was on a need to know basis.

I would find it very interesting, say in a 1200m race, looking at what distance each of the runners has actually covered, bearing in mind there are other factors to consider

Horse   Track   Date   T/C   Class    Placing    Weight    Time   Run    Dec. Time    Dist.    1st   Sec   Dist   1st Sec. Time   L600   L600 UP   Dist Trav.   Dec. Adj.    Time   Adj.   L/S   Extra Lgths
Winx   Randwick   18 August 2018   G4   Open G1   1   57.0   01:22.39   82.4   1400   807.9   50.06   32.33   0.0081   1407.9   81.93   01:21.93   0.14   3.3
Invictus Prince   Randwick   18 August 2018   G4   Open G1   2   59.0   01:22.72   82.7   1400   803.2   49.8   32.88   0.0073   1403.2   82.53   01:22.53   0.14   1.3
Kementari   Randwick   18 August 2018   G4   Open G1   4   58.5   01:22.87   82.9   1400   806.8   50.1   32.82   0.0073   1406.8   82.47   01:22.47   0.14   2.8
Cabeza De Vaca   Randwick   18 August 2018   G4   Open G1   5   59.0   01:22.91   82.9   1400   805.2   49.3   33.61   0.0052   1405.2   82.60   01:22.60   0.14   2.1
Unforgotten   Randwick   18 August 2018   G4   Open G1   6   56.5   01:22.98   83.0   1400   803.0   50.1   32.85   0.0077   1403.0   82.80   01:22.80   0.14   1.2
Religify   Randwick   18 August 2018   G4   Open G1   7   59.0   01:23.05   83.1   1400   804.7   49.5   33.55   0.0056   1404.7   82.77   01:22.77   0.14   1.9
Libran   Randwick   18 August 2018   G4   Open G1   8   59.0   01:23.16   83.2   1400   805.1   50.4   32.77   0.0080   1405.1   82.86   01:22.86   0.14   2.1
Oriental Runner   Randwick   18 August 2018   G4   Open G1   9   59.0   01:23.26   83.3   1400   803.1   49.2   34.02   0.0046   1403.1   83.08   01:23.08   0.14   1.3
Classic Uniform   Randwick   18 August 2018   G4   Open G1   10   59.0   01:23.48   83.5   1400   806.3   49.6   33.87   0.0051   1406.3   83.11   01:23.11   0.14   2.6
Ace High   Randwick   18 August 2018   G4   Open G1   11   58.5   01:23.69   83.7   1400   806.8   50.3   33.41   0.0066   1406.8   83.29   01:23.29   0.14   2.8

• Champ Post 2

The app. didn't have info for 3rd placed D'Argento. 

Info. shows Horse, Track, Date, Track Condition (T/C), Class, Placing, Weight, Final Time (Time Run), Dec Time (time converted to decimal), Distance, 1st Sec Dist. (distance of 1st section of race), 1st Sec. Time (Time for 1st Sec. Dist), L600 (Last 600m time), L600 UP ( metres per sec. for last 600m greater or less than 1st section), Dist. Trav. (Actual distance travelled), Dec Adj. (Adjusted time in decimal), Time Adj. (time for 1400m), L/S (lengths per second for race), Extra Lgths (extra lengths covered)

Another race comparing the winner against 5th placed horse.

Horse   Track   Date   T/C   Class   Placing   Weight   Time Run    Dec.  Time    Dist.    1st   Sec   Dist    1st   Sec.   Time    L600    L600   UP   Dist Trav.   Dec. Adj.   Time Adj.   L/S   Extra Lgths
Butchboy   Randwick   18 August 2018   G4   C3   1   57.5   01:35.77   95.8   1600   1007.6   60.5   35.24   0.0013   1607.6   95.32   01:35.32   0.14   3.1
Panzerfaust   Randwick   18 August 2018   G4   C3   5   53.0   01:36.08   96.1   1600   1012.8   61.0   35.05   0.0018   1612.8   95.32   01:35.32   0.14  

Edited by FeelTheFear

Butchboy runs 1:35.77 over 1600m to win. Panzerfaust runs 1:36.08 to run 5th. Butchboy actually runs 1607.6m and Panzerfaust 1612.8m. That's 5.2m extra for Panzerfaust. Time adjustment to 1600m sees both horses run the same time, 1:35.32. Converted to lengths (Official time minus adjusted time divided by L/S), Butchboy runs a further 3.1 lengths and Panzerfaust 5.3 lengths. That is 2.2 lengths further for Panzerfaust against Butchboy. Butchboy won by 1.8 lengths. 

Edited by FeelTheFear
  • Like 1

A lot of data to digest, but I think eventually it will become standard and as I have said, people will quickly sift through and take note of what is important.

Surely these GPS trackers are the way of the future in assessing a horses run, takes out a lot of the guesswork, particularly for wide draws, unlucky runners caught wide and coming very wide on the home turn

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hesi said:

A lot of data to digest, but I think eventually it will become standard and as I have said, people will quickly sift through and take note of what is important.

Surely these GPS trackers are the way of the future in assessing a horses run, takes out a lot of the guesswork, particularly for wide draws, unlucky runners caught wide and coming very wide on the home turn

It's a guide to further assessment. I think it could be helpful with maiden races for instance

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FeelTheFear said:

It's a guide to further assessment. I think it could be helpful with maiden races for instance

This is too easy now isn't it fairy?

Even bogan Bazz and Mardi grass can see first hand, without having to 'quantify' non existent mathematical formulas, on how to measure extra time and distance..

WINX covered 3.3L or 9 more metres

Next they'll be simulating races 1600 times to get a winner when all you need to do is read the GPS numbers!

There's nothing wrong with more data if it encourages participation. And some of the data may even be useful. A tool like this is worthless in NZ in my view, since the provision of it will cost more than any possible benefits from participation.

I expect that most people that use this data will be using it statistically to identify trends of the data and winners. Without getting into a big discussion on that, many approaches like that simply won't work long term unless the 'attribute' is linked to something that is actually more than just a statistical historical group based association.

If you look solely at NSW racing results, one might expect that the average win div in NSW races would have reduced. It hasn't this year compared to last year. And the % of horses that win paying $4 or less has also actually decreased, rather than increased. These might just be statistics, but use of these tools are not as yet having a noticeable effect to date on suddenly making winners more 'attractive' to punters generally.

As for the resident idiot, knowing extra distance doesn't mean punters will be able to find winners more easily. The results to date agree with that so I'm not surprised to see that you think it will now be so easy.

You'd only have to watch some European races where they are often quite happy to be 3, 4, 5 or 6 wide throughout (and around the bends). And actually want to be there.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mardigras said:

As for the resident idiot, knowing extra distance doesn't mean punters will be able to find winners more easily. The results to date agree with that so I'm not surprised to see that you think it will now be so easy.

You'd only have to watch some European races where they are often quite happy to be 3, 4, 5 or 6 wide throughout (and around the bends). And actually want to be there.

Yeahh, well that's justThommo. He thinks it's all to do with Pi. Obviously (to most of us), and particularly the European jockeys you refer to, we also know about centrifugal force and inertia. This is way beyond Thommo's remedial math's classes though. That's clear because he keeps running round in smaller and smaller circles until he falls over again in the false belief that's the fastest way home.

Edited by curious
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, curious said:

Yeahh, well that's justThommo. He thinks it's all to do with Pi. Obviously (to most of us), and particularly the European jockeys you refer to, we also know about centrifugal force and inertia. This is way beyond Thommo's remedial math's classes though. That's clear because he keeps running round in smaller and smaller circles until he falls over again in the false belief that's the fastest way home.

And I wonder how much he factors in for energy burned up by a horse racing directly behind a horse or with a horse close on its outside. Is that worth 0.5L or 3L? I'm not sure but he will no doubt have a factor to present when one of his post race selections needs an adjustment for it.

Things like inertia versus things that negatively affect inertia, as well as many other forms of energy loss a horse can experience depending on where it is positioned. He wouldn't have a clue. So generalises everything - and comes up with nothing. Except a receipt for another deposit into his betting account.

Edited by mardigras

Yeahh, and I'm also not sure how he accounts for or measures the psychological and behavioural factors associated with the horse's response to being in tight quarters between horses or between a horse and the rail. Presumably, he will have some way of quantifying and adjusting for that as well. Hopefully, we'll get the low down on this before long in relation to one of his post race winning selections.