NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Maija Vance

hesi

" Following evaluation at Rotorua hospital Maija was airlifted to Middlemore hospital where today Maija had surgery to pin 6 of her vertebrae that were damaged and she has bruising on her spine.

She also has a number of broken ribs and blood in her lungs and she is still heavily sedated to give her body a chance to heal and recover.

We will know more in the next couple of days.”

Waikato jockey Maija Vance suffered damage to five vertebrae in her fall at Rotorua on Sunday.

Vance, 27, had a four-hour operation on Monday, to stabilise her spine, and is still in the intensive care unit at Middlemore Hospital, in Auckland. 

“The surgeon said the operation went really well,” Maija’s father, former top jockey Bob Vance, said on Wednesday. 

“They inserted pins and plates, to protect the spinal cord from any further damage. It’s what they call an incomplete injury but there was damage to five vertebrae and some swelling in the spinal cord.

Her arms and hands are fine and she has had good movement, in her knee and ankle, in her right leg,” Bob said. “I haven’t seen any movement in her left leg yet, but she has had some sensation there and it’s a bit too early to know [what the outcome will be]. Hopefully she will keep improving.

“She also has multiple broken ribs, at the back of her ribcage, so with that and the operation, she’s in a lot of pain. She will probably be in hospital for two weeks and then get transferred to the spinal unit for rehab. It’s going to be a long road.”

Maija’s mount, Zedsational, fell at the second-last fence in a maiden hurdle at Rotorua. Maija was taken to Rotorua Hospital before being airlifted to Middlemore on Sunday night.

https://loveracing.nz/News/25643/MaijaVanceupdate.aspx

Horse racing: New Zealand jockey Maija Vance might not walk again after horror fall

26 Sep, 2018 7:08pm
 3 minutes to read
Maija Vance's injured spine is healing. Photo / Vance family
Maija Vance's injured spine is healing. Photo / Vance family
NZ Herald

By: Michael Guerin

Even as she talks about the horror race fall which has threatened her ability to walk again, Maija Vance can't hide how much she loves horses.

The 27-year-old Auckland jockey is in Middlemore Hospital and could be transferred to the Otara spinal unit on Thursday for the next stage of her recovery from her shocking fall at Arawa Park in Rotorua on September 16.

Vance was having just her third hurdle ride when Zedsational misjudged a fence and flipped, smashing into Vance on the other side.

That left her with smashed teeth which almost cut her tongue off, two punctured lungs from broken ribs but most worryingly five fractures in her spine, including two vertebrae.

Because Vance suffered what is termed an "incomplete spinal injury", meaning her spinal cord suffered some damage but was not severed, she has some feeling in her right leg and can feel when her left is being touched.

Although a four-hour surgery to insert plates into her back went as well as it could, doctors have not guaranteed her she will regain full use of her legs.

Vance is taking a realistic day-by-day view to her recovery and is matter of fact about the accident.

"It wasn't his fault, it was because he is too competitive," she says of Zedsational.

"He was trying to race the horse who was just getting in front of him coming to that fence and when it took off to jump we were half a length behind it and took off at the same time.

"That meant we hit it pretty hard. I remember up to that part."

Maija Vance. Photo / Stuart MunroMaija Vance. Photo / Stuart Munro

Vance was riding over hurdles for only the third time, initially only intending to do it once so she could qualify to ride in highweight races over the summer.

Now she faces an uncertain future but is determined to remain positive.

"The doctors haven't told me exactly what to expect and I know there is a chance I might not walk again."

Vance's parents, Bob and Jenny, were jockeys so fully understand the risks of racing and Bob says he is proud of how his daughter is handling the toughest time of her career.

"Her attitude has been fantastic and she is not thinking about the negatives," says the former jockey.

"Being jockeys ourselves, Jenny and I know these things can happen sometimes in racing and while she is pretty banged up the fact she has some feeling in her right leg is giving us hope.

"But the doctors aren't sure yet so can't tell us anything definite."

Maija started her career in New Zealand before riding in Queensland and briefly in South Australia before she returned home a year ago, riding 14 winners from limited opportunities last season.

Was also so pleased to see Zedsational back racing yesterday. Maija said she loves the horse and it was a miracle he survived. If you watch the fall he appeared to do two complete somersaults and George Simon was calling for the vet.

Not trying to take anything away from the concern for Maija. I was just happy to see a brave horse live to fight another day.

23 hours ago, Thomass said:

Shocking accident....

Women contemplating Jumps riding should think twice...

Its a matter of fact women break harder when they fall...

Great attitude from this brave grave girl but it should never have been an option

people like her get desperate because weren't brought up to do anything other than horse

5 hours ago, pete said:

Was also so pleased to see Zedsational back racing yesterday. Maija said she loves the horse and it was a miracle he survived. If you watch the fall he appeared to do two complete somersaults and George Simon was calling for the vet.

Not trying to take anything away from the concern for Maija. I was just happy to see a brave horse live to fight another day.

I was gobsmacked to read the Stewards report concerning that incident...no mention of any follow up Vet check or trialling/jumping school before racing again....sorry, but a young woman has ended up in a precarious position.  Surely the Stewards must understand in addition to general governance there is also a basic duty of care...and its in the industry’s best interest to ensure all participants are presented at their best - horses, jockeys AND trainers...

Just a jumping mistake MM. I've watched the horse a few times and never seen him put a foot wrong before but I could be wrong on that. I'm not trying to trivialize it but I would question whether the stewards would want to request a trial every time a horse falls.

Even the best of them can fall. I remember Amanood Lad tipping out at Ellerslie a few years back.

20 hours ago, MaltedMilkshake said:

I was gobsmacked to read the Stewards report concerning that incident...no mention of any follow up Vet check or trialling/jumping school before racing again....sorry, but a young woman has ended up in a precarious position.  Surely the Stewards must understand in addition to general governance there is also a basic duty of care...and its in the industry’s best interest to ensure all participants are presented at their best - horses, jockeys AND trainers... 

in physical and mental health as well ?  that's an impossible task

5 hours ago, Thomass said:

Shocking accident....

Great attitude from this brave grave girl but it should never have been an option

Hmm not sure Shelley Houston and Michelle Strawbridge would agree with you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thomass said:

Shocking accident....

From a technical point of view Maija had a balanced technique over a fence . The accident may have been a random accident or from one of the photos of the horse jumping there is a possibility of tight triceps causing the horse's front legs to cross slightly exaggerating any contact with a fence causing the horse to fall . Wishing Maija a complete recovery over time . The speedier , the better .

Edited by Integrity

11 hours ago, pete said:

Unfortunately he came back with blood in both nostrils after yesterday’s run.

Be surprised if we see him again on a race track.

Can someone please tell me why this horse a) was not required to have a vet clearance and b) was NOT made to trial or school in front of the stewards, before being permitted to start again?

so who’s is responsible if the horse did the same thing yesterday with Emily Farr as he did with Maija? Do we know if the horse schooled prior to Emily riding him yesterday?  All this information should be in the public domain...

It’s only by the good grace of God that they got around safely yesterday...and the horse had a bleed. 

we talk about the Messara Report, the implementation of change and reforming the industry...policing and integrity should be the first issue tackled.  

6 hours ago, MaltedMilkshake said:

Can someone please tell me why this horse a) was not required to have a vet clearance and b) was NOT made to trial or school in front of the stewards, before being permitted to start again?

so who’s is responsible if the horse did the same thing yesterday with Emily Farr as he did with Maija? Do we know if the horse schooled prior to Emily riding him yesterday?  All this information should be in the public domain...

It’s only by the good grace of God that they got around safely yesterday...and the horse had a bleed. 

we talk about the Messara Report, the implementation of change and reforming the industry...policing and integrity should be the first issue tackled.  

Firstly the horse was in a flat race on Sunday so highly unlikely to fall whilst attempting to jump a non existent fence in the straight.

Why would it need to trial etc? it fell when fatigued late in a race at Rotorua and miss judged the 2nd last and not for any other reason. The horse was vet inspected after the race and found to be ok, the trainer was asked to monitor the horses recovery over the next few days and report back prior to racing next, which he did and was satisfied with the horses recovery.

6 hours ago, barryb said:

Firstly the horse was in a flat race on Sunday so highly unlikely to fall whilst attempting to jump a non existent fence in the straight.

Why would it need to trial etc? it fell when fatigued late in a race at Rotorua and miss judged the 2nd last and not for any other reason. The horse was vet inspected after the race and found to be ok, the trainer was asked to monitor the horses recovery over the next few days and report back prior to racing next, which he did and was satisfied with the horses recovery.

Sorry, my mistake...however as you pointed out, the stewards asked the trainer to monitor the horse ....a bit like self-medicating....I though a full vet clearance would have been ordered? 

And that goes to the heart of the problem.....stewards need to be actively and effectively doing their jobs and they don’t....that’s why there are the never-ending incidents in racing in NZ which by the good grace of God haven’t ended in serious, life threatening injury or worse.

• 2 weeks later...