Bit Of A Yarn

breeders bonus nz sires

the galah

I was just reading how the Breeder of brookies jaffa got an $1100 bonus when it won the other night. Apparently it can go up to $10000 if its bred to a nz bred stallion. 

Michael house seemingly thinks its a great idea.

But heres what confuses me.

Your rewarding a breeder for the decision he made 9 years ago to go to a sire that was nz bred,when obviously  9 years ago the decision to go to auckland reactor would have had nothing whatsoever to do with receiving bonus's.

Theres no way the owner could have factored in that in 9 years time HRNZ would change things to help him,just as there is no way other breeders who didn't bred to a nz bred,knew they were excluding themselves from any bonus.

Now here we are 2023 and they have announced these bonus's .

Ask yourself this. What guarantee have you got that HRNZ won't change their breeding incentive policy in 3 or 4 years. The last one only lasted 1 year.

It doesn't make much sense to me how this  currently works.Surely it would have been best to use the funds being paid to brookies jaffas owner and instead guarantee those who go to a nz bred this year will receive the bonus's promised.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I see the terms of the bonus relating to nz bred stallions includes clauses

"A breeder or breeding entity ceases to exist if they have had no service attempts in the previous 5 years on the hrnz infohorse system".   Also "if a breeder or breeding entity ceases to exist there will be no further bonus paid".

So from that i take it that the breeders of nz bred horses that earn stakemoney this season, will have to have bred from a mare in the previous 5 seasons.

So if you bred a nz bred horse say with the wife in 2017 and it earnt say $20,000 this season,then in theory if you and the wife had bred another horse in nz in the last 5 years you would get 10% of stakes won by the horse you bred in 2017,in other words $2,000 (or $1000 for you and $1000 for the wife).That seems straight forward enough.

However,what isn't clear from the terms is for example whether the horse you bred from in the last 5 years was one that was just in your name and not jointly with your wife. Given that is a different entity,does that mean you get no bonus.Or do you still get the 50%  share of the bonus the 2017 horse you bred has earned? Given the just published terms and conditions say a breeding entity has ceased to exist if they weren't the ones breeding in the last 5 years,so that appears to mean no you won't get the bonus?

Edited by the galah