• Journalists
    • 0 replies
      • Journalists
    • 0 replies
      • Journalists
    • 0 replies
      • Journalists
    • 0 replies

• Chris Waller‘s Buckaroo produced a dominant performance to claim victory in the 2024 Underwood Stakes at Caulfield. The gelding, ridden by Joao Moreira, stormed home to a convincing 3.5-length win over Huetor, with Pericles finishing third. Buckaroo, coming off two strong lead-up races in Sydney, relished the step-up in distance to the 1800m. Despite a […] The post Buckaroo Blazes to 2024 Underwood Stakes Glory appeared first on HorseRacing.com.au. View the full article
    • Chris Waller’s exceptional mare, Fangirl, showcased her brilliance with a commanding victory in the $1 million 7+ Sport Stakes (1600m) at Royal Randwick. This win sets her up perfectly for her title defence in the 2024 King Charles III Stakes back at the track on October 19. The six-year-old daughter of Sebring redeemed her third-place […] The post Fangirl Dominates 2024 7 Stakes Results at Randwick appeared first on HorseRacing.com.au. View the full article
    • Angel Capital ridden by Ben Melham wins the Caulfield Guineas Prelude at Caulfield. (Photo by Pat Scala/Racing Photos) Clinton McDonald and Ben Melham have combined with Angel Capital to claim victory in the Group 3 Caulfield Guineas Prelude at Caulfield on Saturday afternoon. The son of Harry Angel was given an 11 out of 10 ride by Melham as he weaved his way through traffic before sprinting past his rivals to take out the 1400m contest. Since returning to Melbourne to race on firmer tracks, Angel Capital has recorded back-to-back wins en route to the Group 1 Caulfield Guines in three weeks. Wanaruah and Feroce set a solid tempo at the front and looked to up the ante before the home turn, as many of the backmarkers began to struggle with 500m to go. Meanwhile, the likes of Private Life, Public Attention and the eventual winner were trucking along behind the speed and were ready to pounce. Melham switched back to the inside running rail to take over with 150m to go, and he was able to hold off the fast-finishing Public Attention and Wanaruah, who filled the placings. 2024 Caulfield Guineas Prelude replay – Angel Capital Clinton McDonald spoke about the victory post-race. “Big thanks to the staff, especially Tarni, who looks after him. So, it’s just nice to put yourself on the line and see the horse reward you like that,” McDonald said. “We do think he’ll run a mile. “Obviously, that was a great winner, so he had to get back to the worst ground and lost momentum, and the horses down the outside had the momentum. “So, we think he’s a proper colt, he’s showing us that now, and I’m just spewing a half of a bet with the track being a bit shifty! “Well, we know how to win both (Coolmore Stud Stakes and Caulfield Guineas). “We did it with (Weekend) Hustler, so we might do it with this colt. “He does things at home that only the real good ones do, and we’re pretty happy with him.” Ben Melham echoed similar thoughts to McDonald in his post-race interview. “Yeah, well, our opinions never changed of him,” Melham said. “I’ve always had a really high opinion of him. “I was a bit concerned going to the barriers today because he’s just been going that well and the more work we do with him. “He came in today, I thought he was a bit above himself, and his horse is a little bit windy, so you’ve got to keep him in a nice rhythm, and from a better draw today, I had to give him a little squeeze away, and I was really happy the way he handled himself. “He relaxed really well, he was a bit sticky coming into the corner. “I was just waiting on a run and the inside wasn’t really my preference, but that’s where it opened up and I knew I had plenty of horse, so I had to go there and his ability shone through at the finish. “Well, I knew I had plenty of horse under me, but I had the better chances on my outside in the better ground, so it just adds more merit to his win, I think. “He was strong through the line there, so he’d probably head to the mile at this stage and if he gets things right, he’s, you know, you have a lot of chances for sure.” Angel Capital is a $7 chance with top horse racing bookmakers in the Group 1 Caulfield Guineas futures markets. Horse racing news View the full article
    • I Am Me winning The Shorts. Photo: bradleyphotos.com.au I Am Me ($2.60) has made it back-to-back wins to kick-off her spring campaign, getting the head down to claim victory in The Shorts (1100m) at Randwick on Saturday afternoon. The Ciaron Maher-trained mare got the perfect run in transit, similarly to her first-up success in the Group 3 Concorde Stakes (1000m) a fortnight ago, sitting one back on the inside running rail before exploding in the final furlong. It was another tight finish for the daughter of I Am Invincible, with the Group 1 Stradbroke Handicap (1400m) winner Stefi Magnetica ($9.50) looming large in the shadows of the post under Zac Lloyd, narrowly running out of time as James McDonald pushed out I Am Me to cling on by a half-head on the wire. The six-year-old must be considered a possible contender for $20 million Everest (1200m) with plenty of slots still available, and the Ciaron Maher team suggested that’s still the goal this preparation. The Shorts 2024 Replay – I Am Me Stable representative Johann Gerard-Dubord was on course to discuss the victory and where to next for I Am Me. “To do it first up, obviously, is one thing, but to repeat it two weeks later like that is a good effort,” said Gerard-Dubord. “Especially after a hard run like that, two weeks back up, there’s always a bit of a question mark, but she’s come back better. “Doing it every second week, it’s never easy. There is a a four-weeks gap to The Everest, which could be ideal. We’ll just have to see how she comes through that first. “She will tell us, but she’s done a perfect job so far.” James McDonald was impressed with the victory and suggested The Everest was within the realm of possibilities. “She’s quality and she just wears a heart on her sleeve,” said McDonald. “She always felt in control of the race and even from a furlong from home, I felt like I was always going to win, even though they were so close. “She’s won the first two lead-ups to the great race, so she’s ticking a lot of boxes. “I think I won on her over six furlongs and she won by the same sort of margin. So she does what she has to do, and she’s a big broodmare who will run a tremendous race in a race like that.” I Am Me is now an $18.00 chance with horse racing bookmakers for The Everest set to be run and won on October 19. Horse racing news View the full article
    • Buckaroo ridden by Joao Moreira wins the Group 1 Underwood Stakes at Caulfield Racecourse on September 21, 2024. (Photo by Scott Barbour/Racing Photos) Buckaroo ($8.50) has recorded back-to-back victories as the Chris Waller-trained gelding stormed clear in the concluding stages to take out the Group 1 Underwood Stakes at Caulfield on Saturday. Following his narrow victory in the Group 2 Chelmsford Stakes, the son of Fastnet Rock has continued his winning ways by rounding up his rivals on the home turn before sprinting away from the rest of the field. Duke De Sessa ($15) jumped well from the barriers to take up the lead, ahead of Pericles ($4.40) and Muhnamek ($31), who settled behind the leader on a solid tempo in the 1800m contest. Joao Moreira was able to find cover on the back of Vow And Declare ($34) midfield in the three-wide running line before peeling even wider to make his run on the eventual winner. As the leaders swung out to the middle of the track, it was evident that Buckaroo had their measure at the top of the straight, and he quickly swept on by at the 200m mark. Huetor ($71) ran on strongly from the back of the field to nab second behind Pericles, who held on for third place. 2024 Underwood Stakes replay – Buckaroo Charlie Duckworth was on course to represent the winning stable in the post-race interview. “Yeah, obviously we’re completely blown away, to be honest,” Duckworth said. “We obviously wanted to be a bit more positive than what we were out of the gates, but he was a fraction slow away so Joao just had to do what Joao does best and take it into his own hands. “He had to circle and get going early, but gee was strong late, and he was obviously far too good today. “So, I had a good chat to Tommy Berry this morning, he sort of gave us a few, few pointers as to how or the reason why he felt he went so well last start, and which obviously then relaid to Joao. “I was actually talking to Ozzie yesterday, I said is he is he a 2400 metre horse or is he a 3200 metre horse or is he a Cox Plate horse because obviously Joao’s here for the Melbourne Cup and can only ride sort of 54 or 53 (kilos) at a push. “So trying to work out where where he where he will ride on on those big days, but he might have answered his own question. “Time will tell I suppose see how he comes through it and Chris can make the big calls but I’m more than happy to be a small part of the team.” Joao Moreira was elated with the victory, and he spoke post-race. “It feels amazing, you know. That’s what horse racing is about,” Moreira said. “When you get one up, the feeling doesn’t get any better. “Impressive the way how he won, isn’t it? “He has a tricky manner in the gate. He wasn’t really kind for me in there. “Began a little bit worse than what we were hoping. Found itself a little bit too far back. “But as the race disenrolled itself, it kind of got him into the race. “When I turned for home on the outside, with him having great momentum, I was always confident he was going to get up. “He’s begging for more ground and I wouldn’t be surprised if he wins another one.” Buckaroo is a $15 chance with top horse racing bookmakers in the Group 1 Caulfield Cup futures markets. Horse racing news View the full article
  • Topics