• Journalists
    • 0 replies
      • Journalists
    • 0 replies
    • Journalists

TDN Website Now Geolocated

• Journalists
    • 0 replies

• The racing at Auckland is very average compared to Addington!! Think it is because it is only 1000m2 track and the design. As a punter, I find that it is just not worth the effort!
    • Does anyone else think that it isn't working very well?  I'm not sure Guy Heveldt adds anything. I tuned into Racing.Com to watch the lead up to the last race.  I was interested to watch Federer who raced like a shot cat.  The lead up was extensive compared to NZ Trackside however what really struck me was the post race analysis which lasted for about 6 minutes including interviewing Ciaron Maher the trainer of Federer.  In contrast we get very little post race analysis.
    • I went to alexandra park once about 20 years ago. 3 men talking to each other were the only people in the main stand . I sat there for one race but thought the viewing was poor so wandered down to next to the outside fence,for the next race, but found that an even worse viewing area.It was like you were below where the horses were. so i wandered up to the stand near the winning post,where the people were. I just chose to watch the race on the tv inside and watched the people all around. Next to no one bothered to watch the races and they seemed just there for the social side or something to eat.  i left after that race.Thought if that was harness racing in auckland ,well they were lucky they had all those revenue streams because so few of the public seemed interested in it.  I had been there as a kid and remembered the lines of punters 20 deep to get a bet on the tote, people always getting shut out and 2 stands full of people which from memory seemed segregated but the one further up the straight had good viewing.I remember as a kid thinking auckland was exciting,but how things had changed.  The people who say auckland is so strategically important because thats where all the people live,to me are out of touch with reality. Auckland and cambridge racing need to be consolidated into 2 areas close to each other which feed off each other and provide faclilties that provide a far better harness racing product for the public on a far smaller scale. How about the concept of auckland focusing on their core business,i.e.harness racing. Aucklands past leadership blew it,the major cash flows are  gone,it doesn't matter how clever mr mackinnon may be,he can't save the titanic which is aleaxndra park,no matter how much he tries. Also,i can't help think,why is it people in canterbury manage to drive to places like methven or rangiora or geraldine in good numbers,yet administrators seemingly think aucklanders shouldn't be expected to do so. do they not realise that apart from cup day,you get more people at the aforementioned tracks than addington. To me the whole auckland debate is another harness topic thats clear cut,black and white as to what decisions need to be made to make it sustainable,but for reasons which i can't figure out,decision makers just ignore reality.
    • Half the problem is most of the Jockeys let the leader stack them up and put in a soft sectional. Also they need to get moving sooner on the bend.  Not sure if that is because they are gun shy.
  • Topics