Bit Of A Yarn

Blossom Lady Lounge?

Walt

Just looking for a bit of feedback from the good eggs here. Going to NZ Cup Day for the first time since Bonnies Chance won the Cup 1982. Taking my wife who doesn't share my harness passion but always has a great day out when we go to the trots together.

I've lived in Auckland for 40 years so it was the Auckland Cup I attended but it was never as good as NZ Cup Day. I enjoy anything related to harness racing history so looking forward to soaking up all I can. 

The Blossom Lady Lounge has been suggested to us on Cup Day. Is it the bees knees and any other recommendations? 

I'll also be heading to Cup Day/Week this year. Was last there around 10 years ago,when i was lucky enough to have a horse racing on the day,so spent most of my time on course in the Owners Bowl,which was a great location.Am hoping too have a horse running on either Cup Day or Show Day,but will be all over the tickets when available in a few weeks.So yea i guess any suggestions on where to hang out for the day would be good.Oh and i'm not keen on getting schmoozy with the young one's who are there just to get pissed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/18/2023 at 8:54 AM, Walt said:

Just looking for a bit of feedback from the good eggs here. Going to NZ Cup Day for the first time since Bonnies Chance won the Cup 1982.

Here's 'Katie' for you Walt . pretty sure Katie was 'Bonnie's Chance' stable name. (This photo on Cup Day is the year before her Nz Cup win though when she was 2nd to Armalight in the great race.) 

Richard Brosnan still going. Training in Victoria now with son Emmett. they won the Interdomion trot in 2021 with Maori Law , (over 40 years since that amazing 'No Response' Grand Final win in the same race at Addington all those years ago ) what a trainer !! 

DSC03050.JPG

• Champ Post 1

On 8/18/2023 at 8:54 AM, Walt said:

Bonnies Chance won the Cup 1982.

Here we are . A fine action shot of Richard winning the Cup with Bonnie's Chance (Armalight 2nd off 10m handicap) Turning for home and it's 'Full throttle '!!!! 

And you could use the whip properly and drive them to Win in those days. Instead of all this pussy-footing around they do now 😅.

Auckland Cup is better race though Walt ?. (Gammalite 🏆 beat Bonnie's Chance into 2nd place the same year I think it was) 😉 good to see the kiwi's getting something here though. (tongue in cheek)

See old 'Hands Down' in the distance in photo after one of his gallops 

DSC03051.JPG

• Like 2

I used to love cup day with around 6 other mates. Not been now for around 6 years. Got sick of nowhere to sit, queuing for ages only to be told they can only serve you 2 beers, overpriced average grub, gone is the trusty grandstand. 
Sadly, the day is not for the average harness enthusiast, it’s for those that are prepared to spend $500 + for a seated meal table, or those that get dressed up with hooters hanging at trying to look cool….avoid this area if you are interested in the racing. 

23 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Here's 'Katie' for you Walt . pretty sure Katie was 'Bonnie's Chance' stable name. (This photo on Cup Day is the year before her Nz Cup win though when she was 2nd to Armalight in the great race.) 

Richard Brosnan still going. Training in Victoria now with son Emmett. they won the Interdomion trot in 2021 with Maori Law , (over 40 years since that amazing 'No Response' Grand Final win in the same race at Addington all those years ago ) what a trainer !! 

DSC03050.JPG

Lots of memories in this link Gammalite, including Bonnies Chance at around 44 mins winning the 1982 NZ Cup, the last one I attended      

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Newmarket said:

I used to love cup day with around 6 other mates. Not been now for around 6 years. Got sick of nowhere to sit, queuing for ages only to be told they can only serve you 2 beers, overpriced average grub, gone is the trusty grandstand. 
Sadly, the day is not for the average harness enthusiast, it’s for those that are prepared to spend $500 + for a seated meal table, or those that get dressed up with hooters hanging at trying to look cool….avoid this area if you are interested in the racing. 

I was blissfully unaware of the Public Grandstand being demolished in 2011. Where do the public sit now? I've seen images on TV of the action on the infield. Looked more like mating rituals than harness racing but better to have that than just the dying breed of old school harness followers I guess. Must be said, if they are the future of the game then we are in even deeper do-do than I thought :) 

Hopefully I can take in some genuine harness racing history on the day

• Like 1