NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Riccarton a joke

barryb

26 minutes ago, Rowley Mile said:

Wally, I haven't trained the Showcasing yet, she's an unbroken 2yo, however, as you ask, the best horse I trained was named ''Wainwright'' . He was exceptional, unfortunately he nearly died after a throat op, and it was a miracle he survived, he did get to the races again but never ever the same. At his first start in a race, Rosehill, we backed him to win a quarter of a million dollars, 125-1 into 25's......I trained him for a former MEL rails bookmaker and Mrs Rowley, he ran 3rd to Identikit....who went onto win more than a mil in prize-money, pilot error, John Hawkes trained him, we used to beat each other when John trained in MEL. Tates Legacy another good one, won by 7 lengths in Sydney giving Dwayne Dunn his first winning ride in NSW.... I was very lucky to have rained the best winter middle distance 3yo in. Oz in 1988, Nemonic, we took more than half a million out of the bookie's bags after he won at Moonee Valley by 3 lengths and then again 2 weeks later when he won the Sandringham Hcp at Flemington by 4 lengths. His jockey was Pat Hyland, champion fellow and champion jockey, he wanted me to set him for the big Spring races, he broke his leg shortly after when 3 lengths in front at Caulfield, when you are a small stable that loss devastates you, it sure did.....another I had was Pabulum, a son of Artifice who won an AKL Cup, he started fav in the Metropolitan Hcp, however we thought we could win the Caulfield Cup, in the lead up he was bought undone by a Kiwi visitor, Renteeno, Harry White couldn't hold that horse and it was a debacle......we missed the cup, and didn't make the Cox Plate field, so I had to take him to Adelaide, we ran into Frontier Boy a multiple Gr winner, our fellow was so good he beat him, smashed the track record held by another Caulfield Cup winner, Water Boatman, Frontier Boy at his next start won the Queen Elizabeth at Flemington, Gr2.....our boy broke down in the Bendigo Gold Cup when one of Colin Hayes bled and concertinad him......such is life. There you go Wally, I've been very transparent here, Wally was the stable name for Nemonic as it happens,  so maybe that's why I've laid it all bare.....and honest....enjoy your day punting,, today is as good as it gets here in Oz, shame about the rain

i rememer that metrop i went down to watch greg mances horses

19 minutes ago, Rowley Mile said:

Greg Mance, [poor cobbler] a multi millionaire with a great sense of humour, he was a neighbour of ours at Flemington, his foreman was Mick Robins, he trained Rain Lover! how good to have a foreman that trained a dual MEL Cup winner. Cole Diesel, Greg's best horse, they were great days.

yep good old windsor smith  he was my best mates uncle his wife was terrific lady  my mate and i had horse racing at stony creek greg had the fav his wife backed it for heaps  our horse beat it by a head they were the first to congratulate us and shout drinks will never forget it

• Like 1