Bit Of A Yarn

new brighton cup

the galah

Friday nights field certainly looks a race worth watching and a field where there will be no short priced favorite.

In fact the whole night the betting fields are pretty even and there seems plenty of horses around for this time of year. Methven also has big fields and some nice betting races.

I see last weeks turnover at addington was good and you would think this friday may be even better.

The new brighton cup looks like it has many chances and most likely will come down to who gets the early lead and who gets to trail.

For me All american lover looks ideally placed and hopefully can begin as well as she normally does. Her driver johnny cox is currently driving with good confidence. Perhaps the main danger could be her stablemate b d joe,although he was quite inconsistent at the end of his last campaign.At his best he would deserve to be favorite,but i still fancy all american lover myself. Shes currently paying $8ff and $2.80 a place which seems about the right price to consider a wager,especially a place.

Muscle mountain at $1.40 seems a fair price. Horses like him seem to suit being on the ur so he should go away no problem,which means $1.40 seems a reasonable bet.

Edited by the galah

On 9/6/2023 at 12:00 PM, the galah said:

Muscle mountain at $1.40 seems a fair price. Horses like him seem to suit being on the ur so he should go away no problem,which means $1.40 seems a reasonable bet.

'Reasonable bet' for the TAB to collect as it panned out. 😉😎

John Dunn out-sticking young Ben again . Just when Ben was glad to see the back of 'Sundee' too. (with Sundee's Son retired) 

The Dunn stable turn up with their next star trotter . very nice Win by Aardiebythehill. 

40 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

'Reasonable bet' for the TAB to collect as it panned out. 😉😎

John Dunn out-sticking young Ben again . Just when Ben was glad to see the back of 'Sundee' too. (with Sundee's Son retired) 

The Dunn stable turn up with their next star trotter . very nice Win by Aardiebythehill. 

Yes a nice john dunn drive and aardiebythehill toughed it out very well..

Rather unfortunate that the starter let them go when midnight dash was in the process of swinging side on. i think horses that do that just before they start,they often keep going sideways  and that is exactly what midnight dash did and  Muscle mountain copped a very bad check. rather unfortunate,but it happens sometimes.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, the galah said:

i think horses that do that just before they start,they often keep going sideways  and that is exactly what midnight dash did and  Muscle mountain copped a very bad check. rather unfortunate,but it happens sometimes

And they ran the New Brighton Cup from a stand too. was gunna be total chaos (with horses misbehaving)  but the drivers are so good they still got them away mostly. That Aviator horse was always going to gallop , he was as tense as a mouse in the cattery. 

Ben Hope would be delighted with Mossdale Ben  ? a great last half mile closing in well for 2nd.

And BD Joe after running second to the stablemate last year , goes one better went nice.

On 9/6/2023 at 12:00 PM, the galah said:

. Perhaps the main danger could be her stablemate b d joe,

so a good call by you there . Joe home pretty easy in the end 

Think Mark Purdon drove ANYTHING GOES an absolute peach of a drive , and 'No Way' could it win the Cup . or any of the lead ups either at Oamaru, Ashburton or Kaikoura the way it went . was quite disappointing for a Purdon trained horse getting such a good trip. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

And they ran the New Brighton Cup from a stand too. was gunna be total chaos (with horses misbehaving)  but the drivers are so good they still got them away mostly. That Aviator horse was always going to gallop , he was as tense as a mouse in the cattery. 

Ben Hope would be delighted with Mossdale Ben  ? a great last half mile closing in well for 2nd.

And BD Joe after running second to the stablemate last year , goes one better went nice.

so a good call by you there . Joe home pretty easy in the end 

Think Mark Purdon drove ANYTHING GOES an absolute peach of a drive , and 'No Way' could it win the Cup . or any of the lead ups either at Oamaru, Ashburton or Kaikoura the way it went . was quite disappointing for a Purdon trained horse getting such a good trip. 

yes a good summary of what happened.

Bdjoe too good. The Telfers have him back to his best.

3.11 a very good time from a stand first up.

my tip All americanlover went a nice race but just worked a bit hard when taken on early. 

Johnny cox continued his good form when harold smith was too good. Hes a very fast horse with speed to match all but muscle mountain and may be able to sneek a place in some of those better trots,although may need another season to  get used to the best.

Beach ball was a good win. He looked the one but i wondered whether he would back up on his hard run last week,but kevin chapman seems to condition them to be able to do that.

Tokyo rose showed big improvement in her race,but maybe the field may not have been as strong. Still she won easily.black pearl and cyren shard went  well in that race given the runs they had.

Now i'm going to watch and see if olivia thornley can get With Style off the fence to win the last.

An entertaining nights racing it has been.

Edited by the galah