Bit Of A Yarn

HGTV ad?

curious

The missus was watching HGTV tonight. An ad came on. Something like ...

I Wish I Win ... fastest sprinter in the world... a New Zealander ... back him in the Everest ... NZTAB

Good ad I thought. B&W. Looks like Entain are taking racing to the wider market. Anyone else seen it?

12 minutes ago, curious said:

I Wish I Win ... fastest sprinter in the world... a New Zealander ... back him in the Everest ... NZTAB

Good ad I thought. B&W. Looks like Entain are taking racing to the wider market. Anyone else seen it?

Is it the fastest sprinter in..the world?

13 minutes ago, curious said:

Yes, I've seen it.

I thought the same,  at last, getting racing out in the mainstream viewing audience. 

24 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Uh?  How's that any different to the Melbourne Cup promotions done each year?

Well I think most of the general public know about the Melbourne Cup and many watch it and bet on it if they watch and bet on no other race during a year. Most however, have never heard of IWIW or the Everest.

9 hours ago, curious said:

Well I think most of the general public know about the Melbourne Cup and many watch it and bet on it if they watch and bet on no other race during a year. Most however, have never heard of IWIW or the Everest.

So what's the difference?  You agree then that it isn't necessarily the only promotion to the "general public"?

I'm surprised who is buying into the hype.  It was set up primarily to scavenge off the Victorian Racing Carnival.  

In my opinion it encapsulates everything that is wrong or critics say is wrong with NZ Racing.

Does it appeal to the general public?  A race that has a $700k entry fee, that involves behind the scenes machinations and horse trading by racings super elite, a $600+ trophy and so on.

Does it return significant revenue to NZ racing?  

In Australia it is now the focal point of a shit fight between NSW and Victoria racing.

Geez many of you criticise Karaka but The Everest is Karaka on steroids!

I think you have entirely missed the point of the thread Chief. I am not debating the merits and politics of the Everest as a race here. That has been widely canvassed elsewhere and I largely agree with your comments. But it doesn't matter whether it is the Everest or an 18k maiden at Reefton. What I am applauding is that Entain with this ad are taking racing and betting on racing to a wider audience than just the existing participants

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, nod said:

I saw the advert and cringed at the mistakes--fastest? richest? -nope and wondered why the ad on freeview when the race would not be available for viewing there It all sounds a bit Sanitarian to me

What? It'll follow the TVNZ+ lead up series won't it. Free to all. https://www.tvnz.co.nz/sport/horse-racing/horse-racing/the-everest-show-episode-1-extra

And he is, arguably at least, the fastest, certainly rated the best, sprinter in the world and it is the richest turf sprint in the world.

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

So what's the difference?  You agree then that it isn't necessarily the only promotion to the "general public"?

I'm surprised who is buying into the hype.  It was set up primarily to scavenge off the Victorian Racing Carnival.  

In my opinion it encapsulates everything that is wrong or critics say is wrong with NZ Racing.

Does it appeal to the general public?  A race that has a $700k entry fee, that involves behind the scenes machinations and horse trading by racings super elite, a $600+ trophy and so on.

Does it return significant revenue to NZ racing?  

In Australia it is now the focal point of a shit fight between NSW and Victoria racing.

Geez many of you criticise Karaka but The Everest is Karaka on steroids!

The Everest isn't industry subsidised like Karaka Millions day is.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, curious said:

What I am applauding is that Entain with this ad are taking racing and betting on racing to a wider audience than just the existing participants

My point is that this has been done year on year with the Melbourne Cup.  The promotion of The Everest is no different i.e. it isn't anything new.

2 hours ago, nod said:

I saw the advert and cringed at the mistakes--fastest? richest? -nope and wondered why the ad on freeview when the race would not be available for viewing there It all sounds a bit Sanitarian to me

Agree @nod 

Meanwhile marketing NZ Racing is left to the 3 codes who must fund it out of their allocations.

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

How much?

I don't know since the TAB has decided not to publish monthly, 6 monthly or annual reports anymore it seems. You'd have to probably do an OIA request to find out!

But for TABCORP it's definitely NSW's biggest turnover race of the year. This year if you bet there that will be into the massive world pool.

1 hour ago, curious said:

Yep. It comes from sponsorship. Not industry funds as Freda said.

In recent times in NZ it would be TABNZ profits and we would have all complained.  

At the end of the day the TAB (OZ and NZ) money comes from one source - the punter.

The Everest is no different to the Karaka Millions.  Actually probably worse.

1 hour ago, curious said:

But for TABCORP it's definitely NSW's biggest turnover race of the year. This year if you bet there that will be into the massive world pool.

I think you'll find better value punting elsewhere.  Everyone talks about Racing's "social license" does The Everest tick any of the boxes?