Bit Of A Yarn

Bonny Mare.

Rowley Mile

12 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Nope. Levin was still going for the start of the Bayer classic era.

Went to that Bayer meeting at Levin many times as a guest of Bayer, so free piss and food all day.

It mean't getting up at 4am and driving down from Auckland, but most on here would understand what bliss that was.

Veandercross the legend, none better

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, curious said:

Don't remember the Washdyke wonder winning at Levin though he may well have but the Copper Belt clashes remain legendary in my mind

Just looked him up. He seems to have run 4 times at Levin. Won it in 75 and 76 beating Copper Belt and Black Rod in '76 and Black Rod featured in '75 as well. He was a good one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Just looked him up. He seems to have run 4 times at Levin. Won it in 75 and 76 beating Copper Belt and Black Rod in '76 and Black Rod featured in '75 as well. He was a good one.

I was probably there for both of those. Memory failing!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Freda said:

See if you can find any info re. Olgiata...?

just a quick look...

Olgiata had 3 producing daughters, La Balsa, dam of La Mer; La Figlia; Lucky Bid dam of G1 NZ Oaks winner Zepherin. Zepherin was dam of G2 winner Glenview (AJC Surround Stakes; STC Tea Rose Stakes) and granddam of Victory Magic (3rd 2016 Hong Kong Derby to Werther). 

Glenview bred G2 placed Lord Of The Pines and was granddam of G2 winner Zazzman who ran 3rd 2004 Melbourne Cup. 

3 hours ago, curious said:

Olgiata was her second dam. La Mer was out of her daughter La Balsa.

Yep, you're quite right of course.... Thanks. FTF....La Figlia was the filly bred by the Austins if my memory serves me correctly .

Edited by Freda

6 hours ago, curious said:

Back when these races used to be mostly run genuinely and we produced top stayers and middle distance horses eh?

I was thinking that you guys complaining about the SI apprentices could get them to have a look at this ride. Easy you may say when you have the horse power but both her and Dezzie could do it this way as well so maybe they should also have a peak at this ride. Ezy pezy when you actually know how fast you are going. No slugs behind her on either occasion either.

• Like 1

La Mer will be in horse heaven hoping that her great grandson  Benbatl, can do what she was denied and win the Cox Plate..

She was even money to win.......we arrived in Melbourne the day before - to "front page" headlines that she had run her last 600m trackwork on Thursday in 33 secs......and that she was past the post

The other school of thought was that she had' left it on the  track'

Sadly the latter prevailed........we Kiwi's were shellshocked.,, gobsmacked ....couldn't believe she was beaten - a very numb feeling amongst 40,000 Aussies

A week later she fronted in the McKinnon - from memory Family of Man swept up wide on the turn , put 3 lengths on them and La Mer dived down toward the rail but just ground home for a battling 2nd

The one week back-up would have blunted her brilliance 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Freda said:

Yep, you're quite right of course.... Thanks. FTF....La Figlia was the filly bred by the Austins if my memory serves me correctly .

From what I gathered in a quick search, horses owned or bred by the Austins from La Figlia. 

La Figlia was by Taipan II, owned and bred by the Austins. 5 starts as a 2yo/3yo, best was 11th. They bred 5 foals from her, she slipped twins first off and was not served or slipped foals (apart from her 4 live foals) 1982-1994. Named foals Donatella (Beaufort Sea), La Baraka (Balmerino), Delizioso (Palatable), Lantic (Antic Boy). The 5th foal by Antic Boy died 1994. 

Donatella raced twice for a 2nd and a 1st. Grant Cooksley rode. Bred 5 named foals. Tintorella (Kingdom Bay), Tofenella (Kingdom Bay) 1 win, Romanella (Waikiki Star), Duenna (The Jogger), Kiss Me Red (Carolingian).
La Baraka 26 starts for 2 wins, 3 2nds and 6 3rds. Ran 5th in Listed Warstep Stakes at Riccarton. Bred 4 named foals. Vanitoso (Varikos) raced in Sing. as Air Bank, Four Gees (The Jogger), Mehrts (Varikos) raced in Sing. as Anteater, Deeday (Victory Dance).
Delizioso owned by Ms T Cameron
Lantic owned by Canterbury Stud Ltd. 6 starts, best finish 4th.

14 minutes ago, Freda said:

Great stuff, thanks.

One could wish, perhaps, that their choice of consorts for their girls was a little more adventurous, perhaps?

I remember La Baraka, she wasnt the sweetest natured mare.

La Figlia's breeding figures and her offspring weren't very flash. Too many missed, slipped or not served seasons. Perhaps that is why the family weren't bred to more adventurous sires? 

Edited by FeelTheFear