Bit Of A Yarn

New Zealand Summer Series Bonus Points Structure - brought to you by Entain and NZTR

Chief Stipe

New Zealand Summer Series Bonus Points Structure

Last week, Entain Australia and New Zealand and New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing collectively announced the inaugural New Zealand Summer Series Bonus, whereby New Zealand and Australia’s leading middle-distance horses will compete for a lucrative purse of $650,000 in bonuses.

The bonus structure for entry and Series races has been finalised by NZTR, with the overall winner being determined by a points system, and points weighted towards the Series races as indicated below.

Points Structure for Entry and Series Races

Table-9900000000079e3c.PNG

Bonus Structure (Total bonus, including Trainer payment)

• Series winner: $500k
  • Series runner up: $100k
  • Series third placegetter: $50k

*Mandatory 10% Trainer payment to be paid from bonus amounts listed above.

To be eligible for the winning bonus, a horse will need to run in one of the two 1600-metre entry races – the $400,000 Harcourts Thorndon Mile at Trentham on 20 January or the new $1,000,000 Elsdon Park Aotearoa Classic at Ellerslie on 27 January, held on TAB Karaka Millions night. The Series will then progress towards two of New Zealand’s most iconic 2000-metre races – the $600,000 Herbie Dyke Stakes at Te Rapa on 10 February and the $450,000 Bonecrusher New Zealand Stakes at Ellerslie on 9 March.

Learn more about the New Zealand Summer Series Bonus below. 

Should you have any questions about the Series, or require further information, please do not hesitate to contact us. 

Yours in racing, 

Darin-Balcombe-9903cf028a01453c-9903cf02

Darin Balcombe
Chief Operating Officer
New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing

19 hours ago, curious said:

It's a good initiative but it's a mystery to me how they think that series will attract Australia's  leading middle distance horses.

The Thorndon is not a middle distance race anyway is it? I thought it was a mile.

I agree it's a good initiative and you are right about 1600m.  One issue I have is that they won't attract OZ horses and they wont get a quality field worth the stakes money.  It would be better to spread that money down the chain and build up the quality of our fields.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I agree it's a good initiative and you are right about 1600m.  One issue I have is that they won't attract OZ horses and they wont get a quality field worth the stakes money.  It would be better to spread than money down the chain and build up the quality of our fields.

A good initiative, but misplaced . It would be better spread amongst the mid to low tier horses through several different that keep the turnover turning over here. 

I can't see this keeping G1 horses here.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, curious said:

I can't see that's the point. Nor of any use. What they need to do is increase revenue on NZ racing and they've well proven that raising stakes at any level doesn't do that.

Then what's the point at throwing more $$$ at the top end?

I assumed the money was from Entain.     At this point turnover won't be increasing revenue in any shape or form, surely?   So it appears to my admittedly uneducated eye that it is a shy at the stumps from Entain's lolly bucket with the aim of increasing participation, and therefore interest and betting revenue for the future. 

But, as already alluded to, throwing money at stakes doesn't have that effect.

• Like 1

Just now, Freda said:

I assumed the money was from Entain.     At this point turnover won't be increasing revenue in any shape or form, surely?   So it appears to my admittedly uneducated eye that it is a shy at the stumps from Entain's lolly bucket with the aim of increasing participation, and therefore interest and betting revenue for the future. 

But, as already alluded to, throwing money at stakes doesn't have that effect.

Missed Chief's post....which makes the exercise even sillier.