Bit Of A Yarn

Animal Welfare Underpins Everything We Do

Yankiwi

8 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

So that takes it up to 0.15%.

So the real issue for you isn't dog welfare overall but the other 4 positives?  

I suppose I should consider the RIB and GRNZ ignoring positive swabs which breach the rules as a good thing.

Therapeutic cobalt, arsenic & who knows what else underpinning the welfare of the dogs.

Got it.

13 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

I suppose I should consider the RIB and GRNZ ignoring positive swabs which breach the rules as a good thing.

Therapeutic cobalt, arsenic & who knows what else underpinning the welfare of the dogs.

Got it.

How do you know they ignored them?  All you know is charges weren't laid.  Could be any number of reasons for that.

Where do you get the cobalt and arsenic theory from?

11 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

How do you know they ignored them?  All you know is charges weren't laid.  Could be any number of reasons for that.

Where do you get the cobalt and arsenic theory from?

Cobalt

https://racingintegrityboard.org.nz/decisions/non-raceday-inquiry-reserved-penalty-decision-dated-23-december-2022-ronald-oregan-and-nyomi-oregan/

image.thumb.png.2e19084cd90dc2d9f3a12bf93d1b813f.png

Arsenic

https://racingintegrityboard.org.nz/decisions/non-raceday-request-for-a-ruling-written-decision-dated-26-january-2023-teeing-off/

image.thumb.png.23a1c4b64611d21318000d00fce6e46e.png

9 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

If so, that would make it 3 charges laid, not the two the GRNZ report claims, right?

You're trying to turn a nit's turd into a mountain.  6 cases out of 3815.  I think all of them were environmental contamination.  Certainly the Chloe Watson case was.  The source of the arsenic was determined to have come from the wood the kennel floor was made of.  As it said in the judgement (which I doubt you read) arsenic is a stopper not a performance enhancer.

Maybe I misunderstand the GRNZ requirements.

Animal welfare only matters when something is done to a greyhound deliberately. There is no requirement for a trainer to keep their dogs out of harm's way.

I suppose the RIU/RIB check trainer's vehicles/trailers for warrants/registrations & hand out fines when they're out of date because they are nosey.

Got it.

2 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

Maybe I misunderstand the GRNZ requirements.

Yes I believe you have.

Animal welfare only matters when something is done to a greyhound deliberately.

As it stands at the moment that isn't the case.  However, perhaps it should be the case as that would eliminate the need for investigations and the determination of the intent of the licensed trainer.  Although that would probably end racing in NZ.

There is no requirement for a trainer to keep their dogs out of harm's way.

Yes - all reasonable steps however it is impossible to prevent drug positives caused by environmental contamination unless you implement a completely closed system in NZ.  That would be also lead to the end of racing in NZ as we know it.  A closed system is one like thoroughbred racing in Hong Kong.  Everything is controlled.

I suppose the RIU/RIB check trainer's vehicles/trailers for warrants/registrations & hand out fines when they're out of date because they are nosey.

Do they check vehicle warrants?  Do they clip the infringement fine ticket?  I doubt their jurisdiction runs that far.  Did you get caught Chazza?

Got it.

No unfortunately you don't get it.

The discrepancy in the positives vs charges laid is a factor of what the RIB could convict on and timing of the annual report.  GRNZ has no visibility of where the RIB is at with their investigations although there is evidence that the RIB has a few leaks which it feeds when it suits.  

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yes I believe you have.

As it stands at the moment that isn't the case.  However, perhaps it should be the case as that would eliminate the need for investigations and the determination of the intent of the licensed trainer.  Although that would probably end racing in NZ.

Yes - all reasonable steps however it is impossible to prevent drug positives caused by environmental contamination unless you implement a completely closed system in NZ.  That would be also lead to the end of racing in NZ as we know it.  A closed system is one like thoroughbred racing in Hong Kong.  Everything is controlled.

Do they check vehicle warrants?  Do they clip the infringement fine ticket?  I doubt their jurisdiction runs that far.  Did you get caught Chazza?

No unfortunately you don't get it.

The discrepancy in the positives vs charges laid is a factor of what the RIB could convict on and timing of the annual report.  GRNZ has no visibility of where the RIB is at with their investigations although there is evidence that the RIB has a few leaks which it feeds when it suits.  

Fyi they do check vehicle warrants and if its not up to scratch, they will give you a warning and fine and if it isnt up to scratch next meeting, scratch your dogs and probably judiciary meeting. A few people have not been allowed to race because of it for weeks on end

39 minutes ago, BitofaLegend said:

Fyi they do check vehicle warrants and if its not up to scratch, they will give you a warning and fine and if it isnt up to scratch next meeting, scratch your dogs and probably judiciary meeting. A few people have not been allowed to race because of it for weeks on end

Under what rule?  For how long have they been doing that?

11 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Under what rule?  For how long have they been doing that?

Standard 6 of the Greyhound Animal Welfare standards.

Vehicles that dont have an up to date warrant and rego are considered unsafe for transport of animals.

Animal welfare act also states vehicles need to be up to current wof standards so really, its an animal welfare problem if anyone in any code is traveling around with an animal in a unwarranted or unregistered car

1 hour ago, BitofaLegend said:

Animal welfare act also states vehicles need to be up to current wof standards so really, its an animal welfare problem if anyone in any code is traveling around with an animal in a unwarranted or unregistered car

You're kidding me?  I would have thought that the driver's welfare would be paramount.  

Where in the Animal Welfare Act does it refer to having a warrant or rego?  

Some bureaucrat with an agenda has probably dreamed up the interpretation.  Here's the clause relating to transport:

22Transport of animals

(1)

Every person in charge of a vehicle or an aircraft, and the master of or, if there is no master, the person in charge of, a ship, being a vehicle, aircraft, or ship in or on which an animal is being transported, must ensure—

(a)

that the welfare of the animal is properly attended to; and

(b)

that, in particular, the animal—

(i)

is provided with reasonably comfortable and secure accommodation; and

(ii)

is supplied with proper and sufficient food and water.

(2)

A person commits an offence who fails, without reasonable excuse, to comply with any provision of subsection (1).

23Other offences in relation to transport of animals, etc

(1)

A person commits an offence who, without reasonable excuse, confines or transports an animal in a manner or position that causes the animal unreasonable or unnecessary pain or distress.

(2)

A person commits an offence who, being the owner of, or the person in charge of, an animal, permits that animal, without reasonable excuse,—

(a)

to be driven or led on a road; or

(b)

to be ridden; or

(c)

to be transported in or on a vehicle, an aircraft, or a ship,—

while the condition or health of that animal is such as to render it unfit to be so driven, led, ridden, or transported.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

It's what the GRNZ code of welfare says.

Isn't that what the RIB are meant to police?

To achieve what?  That's where it's all stuffed up.  Do you really want to direct your resources to check car rego's or something more important?  I'm sure you get off on counting inane stats.  

21 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

To achieve what?  That's where it's all stuffed up.  Do you really want to direct your resources to check car rego's or something more important?  I'm sure you get off on counting inane stats.  

Look, I didn't write the code, nor did I have any input into the writing of the code.

On another note, why haven't GRNZ welcomed their new board member & thanked the ousted member for their exemplary service?

image.png.b6cfcca13478c0ae8f6c439d572af3af.png