Bit Of A Yarn

What’s wrong...?

2 hours ago, Reefton said:

There is a minor point here people are overlooking....

It doesn't matter where you are in the world it is bloody hard to win a race.  And I very very much doubt it gets any easier when the stakes involved double or treble or quadruple.

At the time the Messara report came out I was regularly talking to a bloke from a radio station who knew nothing about racing at all but wanted to find out about the proposal and its effect on the West Coast.  On the day of the Harness racing scandal being uncovered he expressed shock at the bad goings on until I pointed out that very fact to him - it is desperately difficult to win a race and pulling one up one week with a thought of winning a race the next is fraught with risk.  I doubt he appreciated the truth of that but anyone with experience in this game knows it is true.  And the small scale of the offending(A Stuart charged with making $1000, $1100 and $1400 bear that out - racehorses are unreliable and I think the thoroughbreds would be even harder than the harness horses). 

Agree, every win is like gold, better to be honest, no matter wether  it's timaru or Timbuktu, been lucky to have a few, and that winning feeling can't be beaten, even if it's a low stake, not really a factor for me.All about the passion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rowley Mile said:

You guys in Chch live in Bubble Land. Lets look at Weir first, google him, look at the needles, look at the fines and the scathing wrap, go back a bit, check it out...I dare you.....Waller, his right hand man, Liam Prior, sold a horse to HK and didn't disclose to the owners the true price, the owners, very suspicious, did their due diligence, and whoa and behold, clear deception and therefore Prior disq for 6 months.....what a blight on the stable, and you guessed it, Waller knew nada.....so, who gets rehired immediately his disq is up....yep, none other than one Liam Prior...and not as a shit picka upper....back into the same job he had before he was caught out...with Richard Callender who cried into the phone when he admitted to the owners what had transpired.....Who would re-hire this kind of person? C Waller that's who. And before you all get so righteous, what would you do if someone you trusted did that to your owners and discredited your business, would you re-hire him?......Waller urged the clients to sell, and the horse of course has gone on and won gazillions.....so Waller apologises to them.....what a look, and yet the sycophants line up to have a horse with him......I give up......but I'd love to hear the defence, cmon, throw it back.

Hell, no....RM....never give up....and there's no chance for complacency with you to keep us thinking....!

But seriously, that little story that I had heard, but forgotten about with more recent news to keep me entertained, brings me to another gripe which i had thought was just a NZ matter, but seemingly not.

Sales of horses :  correct and open procedures and suitable paperwork with reputable people and this b/ s shouldn't happen.

2 hours ago, Rowley Mile said:

You guys in Chch live in Bubble Land. Lets look at Weir first, google him, look at the needles, look at the fines and the scathing wrap, go back a bit, check it out...I dare you.....Waller, his right hand man, Liam Prior, sold a horse to HK and didn't disclose to the owners the true price, the owners, very suspicious, did their due diligence, and whoa and behold, clear deception and therefore Prior disq for 6 months.....what a blight on the stable, and you guessed it, Waller knew nada.....so, who gets rehired immediately his disq is up....yep, none other than one Liam Prior...and not as a shit picka upper....back into the same job he had before he was caught out...with Richard Callender who cried into the phone when he admitted to the owners what had transpired.....Who would re-hire this kind of person? C Waller that's who. And before you all get so righteous, what would you do if someone you trusted did that to your owners and discredited your business, would you re-hire him?......Waller urged the clients to sell, and the horse of course has gone on and won gazillions.....so Waller apologises to them.....what a look, and yet the sycophants line up to have a horse with him......I give up......but I'd love to hear the defence, cmon, throw it back.

Not 100% familiar with that(the re hiring part) but if so I agree it is a bit of a stain but as far as the medications etc etc etc well tis the world we live in in racing I'm afraid.  If you are going to keep up you have to make plenty of use of the vet 

I really think that is why Singapore pay vet fees - so they can be sure what each horse is being treated with.  if we were not so widespread(in terms of trainer locations) it would not be a bad system to implement here - register the vets and require them to disclose every treatment.

Keeping up with technology is essential but not everyone can do it I guess. 

1 hour ago, Reefton said:

Not 100% familiar with that(the re hiring part) but if so I agree it is a bit of a stain but as far as the medications etc etc etc well tis the world we live in in racing I'm afraid.  If you are going to keep up you have to make plenty of use of the vet 

I really think that is why Singapore pay vet fees - so they can be sure what each horse is being treated with.  if we were not so widespread(in terms of trainer locations) it would not be a bad system to implement here - register the vets and require them to disclose every treatment.

Keeping up with technology is essential but not everyone can do it I guess. 

Do yourself a favour Brian, read about the time the stipes were driving to the races and see the float pulled up side of road, and they decided to ''assist''......and what they found, and the day they found needles.....oh what a read, as for CW, would I ever give a horse of mine to a bloke that did what he did? no way Jose, our trainers are the other sort......hand on heart, if I ever stoop to that I give you permission to shoot me....please.

9 hours ago, Rowley Mile said:

Do yourself a favour Brian, read about the time the stipes were driving to the races and see the float pulled up side of road, and they decided to ''assist''......and what they found, and the day they found needles.....oh what a read, as for CW, would I ever give a horse of mine to a bloke that did what he did? no way Jose, our trainers are the other sort......hand on heart, if I ever stoop to that I give you permission to shoot me....please.

All good and accepted but until the powers that be stomp on that stuff then those who (allegedly) do it have the advantage.  And that brings me back to the comment that it is bloody hard to win a race.

I don't care what Waller or whoever supposedly get up to - I still admire their business skills to coordinate such a massive operation.  I haven't got a horse with them nor am I ever likely to have a horse with them(or anyone else after the current mob are finished) and if someone chooses to give them their horses that is their prerogative..

Anyway once Messara fixes NZ racing it will probably be rife here(if not already) 

Brian, your response now leads me to ask you in your capacity as an accountant...by saying you don't care what Waller or whoever gets up to you are condoning the business practice of that stable? What if the person who lost out was a client of yours? What would you recommend they do to recover THEIR money? I'm not saying Waller is complicit but why would you re-hire a person who defrauded your clients?  By that action alone, it leaves the door open for innuendo and I would have thought no stable business can afford that.  Chief Stipe is watching this thread carefully but this is all on the public record. 

37 minutes ago, Rowley Mile said:

Brian, your response now leads me to ask you in your capacity as an accountant...by saying you don't care what Waller or whoever gets up to you are condoning the business practice of that stable? What if the person who lost out was a client of yours? What would you recommend they do to recover THEIR money? I'm not saying Waller is complicit but why would you re-hire a person who defrauded your clients?  By that action alone, it leaves the door open for innuendo and I would have thought no stable business can afford that.  Chief Stipe is watching this thread carefully but this is all on the public record. 

He is not a client of mine so I am not interested in making judgment on any of that.  I admire the way he runs his stable(not his ethics necessarily) and the systems he and the other interstate trainers use.  I am not commenting on what he may or may not do drugs/treatment wise as it is hearsay other than the odd positive he may have returned(wasn't there one for meth?).  If I had a dollar for every story I heard in racing about this horse being doped or that jockey being pissed or that trainer being crooked I could live ten lifetimes and never have to work again.  I am certain if the story about the stipes finding the truck full of syringes and paraphernalia is true he would have been charged.   

One thing that I do know as an Accountant and as an Auditor for many years is this - if you want to do something crooked do it yourself without anyone else - because if there is cooperation someone will spill the beans eventually.  Waller will have had disaffected employees like every boss and would every single one have shut his mouth if the rampant doping you suggest is going on?  I VERY much doubt it.

As for some sinister implication that Chief Stipe is watching this and taking note of what I have to say - I don't think I am that important or relevant in the industry that anyone takes any notice of (or much less cares) about my views. 

If you think RM that he(or they) are the only ones up to that sort of thing I think you are pretty naive.  When I was kid at Varsity in the early 80's at Riccarton it was rife and I then had an old Uncle with a good horse who got told by a VERY respected trainer(long since retired) in the mid 80's 'If you are not on this stuff you should be fined for not trying'.  'this stuff' being the hormones/steriods in vogue at the time.  That particular horse won 18 races but only ever had three vet bills - one to geld him, one for 'pre race vitamins' (when he had his one and only start for another trainer) and one to put him down.

We have all known for a hundred years it is he with the best vet/chemist who goes best in this game and if you think you are going to stop that then I'm afraid you are pissing in the wind.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rowley Mile said:

No Brian, you are off on a different tangent, if you read my post again you will see I refer to Weir;s record re needles and tubing etc, NOT Waller!......I refer to Wallers rehiring of a disq person.......I'm done with this, but I learn all the time and I'm substantially older than you.

I don't care who you are referring to - you are making sinister insinuations about both of them.  And unless there is hard evidence I am not that interested in believing any of it.  That is the Stewards job(and since most people here seem to hold Aussie up as the be all and end all of world racing then their stewards must be the absolute best as well mustn't they?).

Most trainers(both here and there) make a lot of use of the vet and that is life.  Whether Waller was implicit in that horse sale saga I have no idea and even less interest but (1) he never got charged and (2) the employee served his time so I cannot crucify Waller for re-employing him - or are you saying he should have been banned for life(because saying nobody should employ him is effectively saying exactly that).

Jesus Brian, sinister? got your gander hasn't it? I'm stating facts, they are on the public record, as to your comment re Aussie stewards, they had the hard evidence in front of them to issue a charge/s.....Waller wasn't charged, but his employee was, then disqualified.Fraud Brian, read, Fraud!!!!...... Weir has copped heaps of fines, one of 15K, another charge to be levied shortly, on an another issue.....your defence of these people leave me astounded, so I'm off.......no more on this for me, your standards are far different than mine, and your whatever it takes attitude is way divorced from my MO.

1 minute ago, Rowley Mile said:

Jesus Brian, sinister? got your gander hasn't it? I'm stating facts, they are on the public record, as to your comment re Aussie stewards, they had the hard evidence in front of them to issue a charge/s.....Waller wasn't charged, but his employee was, then disqualified.Fraud Brian, read, Fraud!!!!...... Weir has copped heaps of fines, one of 15K, another charge to be levied shortly, on an another issue.....your defence of these people leave me astounded, so I'm off.......no more on this for me, your standards are far different than mine, and your whatever it takes attitude is way divorced from my MO.

No it hasn't 'got my gander' but it clearly has yours.

How come the media in Aussie are not all over these 'disgraceful' events and circumstances?  Why have Waller and Weir not had their licences withdrawn if they have been up to such nefarious deeds? 

If there has been any wrong doing I am sure the powers that be have given due consideration to charges and penalties and, given they are still holding their licences and running horses I can only conclude that either they have served their time or there was no case to answer.  I have better things to do than research the life history of either party and, as I previously said, if I had a dollar for every rumour or story about a racing figure I have heard I would never have to work again.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...