Bit Of A Yarn

Smaller Fields from now! Because of the Starting Gates!

Chief Stipe

Please read Reefton's  comments 12.03pm Tues, that is; "bit of an over reaction" to which I concur. Then his comments 5.28pm same day but specifically the last two paragraphs. Then for those that "totally disagree" read the Chief's reply at 6.55pm although bear in mind these two are diametrically opposed to each other.

Now to put aside the 'I'm right, your wrong rhetoric I believe this debacle last Saturday all comes down to poor decisions. The previous gates were getting very tired and the 'upgraded' gates, I suggest was made by settling on a good price, not the best solution. To defend that comment I refer to Leith Innes who was the most animated  I have ever heard him with regards to his distain for starting gates with clip ons. The current CEO of NZTR has not procrastinated and the clip ons are gone. Few fields in reality will be disadvantaged. Yes, big races like the Oaks one may rebut, yet the reality is there will be more than four that really shouldn't be there. Next season the numbers will be back to their usual maximum limits.

I will close with these comments. Collectively we have moaned for many years about which tracks should be or not be closed. We have justifiably gone to a level far higher than moaning, about yesteryears woeful executive. On a positive side we are making a lot less noise regarding infrastructure and the all important stakes levels. This weeks field sizes however reinforce that the Elephant in the room continues to be ignored,...the CALENDAR

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wingman said:

This weeks field sizes however reinforce that the Elephant in the room continues to be ignored,...the CALENDAR

The Bone Crusher Stakes being a case in point.

Two three year old races on the same day for good stakes attracting small fields.

Hell why not reduce the field size to 10.

However at the end of the day if you spend a shyte load of money on a machine it should be fit for purpose.  A three pin plug and an extension lead shouldn't be the cause of failure.

BTW these gates aren't old and certainly haven't been over used.

But all good let's spend another few million on buying something new.  Which at the end of the day can still have the same points of failure.

Sharrock should stick to managing athletes rather than horses.

7 hours ago, Wingman said:

I will close with these comments. Collectively we have moaned for many years about which tracks should be or not be closed. We have justifiably gone to a level far higher than moaning, about yesteryears woeful executive. On a positive side we are making a lot less noise regarding infrastructure and the all important stakes levels. This weeks field sizes however reinforce that the Elephant in the room continues to be ignored,...the CALENDAR

Absolutely.  I've felt - and have commented [ more than once ] - that it is not just stake levels that send owners/trainers across the Tasman.  It is the encompassing structure. The dates, the programming within those dates, the lack of flow, the inability to place one's horse to its advantage, and instead running where you can get a start, frequently well out of one's district and at considerable cost.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Freda said:

Absolutely.  I've felt - and have commented [ more than once ] - that it is not just stake levels that send owners/trainers across the Tasman.  It is the encompassing structure. The dates, the programming within those dates, the lack of flow, the inability to place one's horse to its advantage, and instead running where you can get a start, frequently well out of one's district and at considerable cost.

More than once I have offered to sort their dates(in the South at least) Every time ignored

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Used once a year?  Geez wouldn't have to do an oil change.

See that is an example of your ignorance.  If you don't maintain these things things go wrong.  That's how we had the old manual set for forty years with not one false start(and they used to do twelve meetings a year not three like now).  Because we ensured they were housed and looked after.  And that is why these current set will last forever as well - because they are looked after.  Unlike all these other mobs we had to find the cold hard cash so we are very careful to look after what we have.  

When we(the RJC Committee) assembled the new gates the Sim Track guy commented on how he had never had a set go together so quickly and smoothly.  The difference is we were doing it for love not for a pay packet at the end of the week.  That's why we produce top quality track surfaces every time(despite what that imbecile Oatham and his mate Clement might believe).  Because we care.

And I can tell you once those batteries have had a days use they need recharged because it drains them.  This strikes me as a classic case of a combination of a battery draining and perhaps(as Curious said) a connection between sets that had worked slightly loose

And that covers your 'these aren't old and overused' comment as well

Edited by Reefton
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

It isn't the dates that need sorting as much as the individual race programming.  Race dates are useless if you don't have the horse inventory!

The inventory is there, many going round in circles for 2 months because there's no suitable race for them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Reefton said:

See that is an example of your ignorance.  If you don't maintain these things things go wrong.  That's how we had the old manual set for forty years with not one false start(and they used to do twelve meetings a year not three like now).  Because we ensured they were housed and looked after.  And that is why these current set will last forever as well - because they are looked after.  Unlike all these other mobs we had to find the cold hard cash so we are very careful to look after what we have.  

When we(the RJC Committee) assembled the new gates the Sim Track guy commented on how he had never had a set go together so quickly and smoothly.  The difference is we were doing it for love not for a pay packet at the end of the week.  That's why we produce top quality track surfaces every time(despite what that imbecile Oatham and his mate Clement might believe).  Because we care.

And I can tell you once those batteries have had a days use they need recharged because it drains them.  This strikes me as a classic case of a combination of a battery draining and perhaps(as Curious said) a connection between sets that had worked slightly loose

And that covers your 'these aren't old and overused' comment as well

So you are contradicting yourself.  You agree then that solution that NZTR have come up is expensive and probably won't fix the issue.

27 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

So you are contradicting yourself.  You agree then that solution that NZTR have come up is expensive and probably won't fix the issue.

Cannot see where I said it was expensive or that it probably won't fix the issue.  What I said was when you have to raise the funds yourself(as we did) it gives you quite an incentive to look after and value what you have.

As far as saying it won't fix the issue well you have to have starting gates.  Are you wanting them to go back to flag starts?

While you have them there will always be a risk of failure but there is a risk of failure with every electronic or mechanical item in life.

I have no doubt it will be expensive but do you think they should blindly go on with the status quo and risk it happening again?

I did suggest that, it line with what Curious has said,  it is possibly a combination of batteries getting down on charge and a loose connection that may have been responsible.

I remember arriving at Reefton the day before the races one year and the gates were right beside the Secretaries office with a power wire running to them.  When I asked why I got the grumpy response that the previous club had not put the batteries straight on charge after their last race.

1 hour ago, Reefton said:

Cannot see where I said it was expensive or that it probably won't fix the issue.  What I said was when you have to raise the funds yourself(as we did) it gives you quite an incentive to look after and value what you have.

As far as saying it won't fix the issue well you have to have starting gates.  Are you wanting them to go back to flag starts?

While you have them there will always be a risk of failure but there is a risk of failure with every electronic or mechanical item in life.

I have no doubt it will be expensive but do you think they should blindly go on with the status quo and risk it happening again?

I did suggest that, it line with what Curious has said,  it is possibly a combination of batteries getting down on charge and a loose connection that may have been responsible.

I remember arriving at Reefton the day before the races one year and the gates were right beside the Secretaries office with a power wire running to them.  When I asked why I got the grumpy response that the previous club had not put the batteries straight on charge after their last race.

I think had it been batteries, they wouldn't still have worked once plugged back in, or for the rest of the day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, curious said:

I think had it been batteries, they wouldn't still have worked once plugged back in, or for the rest of the day.

Yes but with a marginal connection between the sets it adds up to me

If the connection was completely broken maybe not but if there was still a connection then inadequate power between the two .....

The bloke who looks after ours(who runs a trucking firm so knows about mechanics) always talks about how hard those gates are on batteries

7 hours ago, Reefton said:

The bloke who looks after ours(who runs a trucking firm so knows about mechanics) always talks about how hard those gates are on batteries

Of course Reefton is the only place that has this type of expertise!

Hard on batteries?  What they need to work 10 days in one day?  Another simple problem to fix.  Monitor the charge and have a spare battery available.

At the end of the day it is an inexpensive solvable problem.  But no let's go buy some more gates.  Oh and two races this weekend at Trentham don't have full capacity fields and some owners miss out again (assuming there were surplus nominations).

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Surely you're not suggesting it is a three pin plug on the end of a $9 lead bought from The Warehouse that wriggled loose?  Well that's an easy fix - get a screw-in connection.  

image.png

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Hard on batteries?  What they need to work 10 days in one day?  Another simple problem to fix.  Monitor the charge and have a spare battery available.

At the end of the day it is an inexpensive solvable problem.  But no let's go buy some more gates.  Oh and two races this weekend at Trentham don't have full capacity fields and some owners miss out again (assuming there were surplus nominations).

Listen halfwit

Those connections obviously come with the equipment not from the warehouse.  As for smart arse comments about Reefton being the only place with the expertise well Reefton has had some(not a lot) experience with these things where it is clear you have had zero

The fact is there was a false start caused by the connection being either faulty or loose(or as I suggested perhaps the battery(s) being somewhat depleted).  You have created some mass cover up conspiracy by NZTR/the WRC and continued to wank on about a theory with zero substance

An idiot like you who can see something in nothing would be an ideal person to take up a role with the RIB alongside Oatham and Clement.  They too are too thick to see reality.

Anyway since I have essentially now finished with the game, save for retaining half legs of a couple of nags, I need to finish wasting time with chat sites so it is goodbye from me.

1 hour ago, Reefton said:

Listen halfwit

Those connections obviously come with the equipment not from the warehouse.  As for smart arse comments about Reefton being the only place with the expertise well Reefton has had some(not a lot) experience with these things where it is clear you have had zero

The fact is there was a false start caused by the connection being either faulty or loose(or as I suggested perhaps the battery(s) being somewhat depleted).  You have created some mass cover up conspiracy by NZTR/the WRC and continued to wank on about a theory with zero substance

An idiot like you who can see something in nothing would be an ideal person to take up a role with the RIB alongside Oatham and Clement.  They too are too thick to see reality.

Anyway since I have essentially now finished with the game, save for retaining half legs of a couple of nags, I need to finish wasting time with chat sites so it is goodbye from me.

The place will be the poorer for your absence.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Reefton said:

Listen halfwit

Merry Christmas Brian.

How do you know I've had zero experience?  Just finished solving an electrical problem on a historical pilot boat that cost $2m to restore.

Surely you're not suggesting it is a three pin plug on the end of a $9 lead bought from The Warehouse that wriggled loose?  Well that's an easy fix - get a screw-in connection.  

image.png

Expand  

Expand  

Listen halfwit

No I haven't created a mass cover up conspiracy.  The point I was making was that the response is over the top and that response supports NZTR’S agenda.  Which as you know is anti-small clubs.  If I've read @curious post correctly then I agree that the obvious reason for the failure is human rather than mechanical/electrical.  Afterall the gates aren't complex machines.

You are assuming I am an idiot.  You haven't met me.  

That's your call.  At the end of the day it's just words.  You have always had the opportunity to express your opinion without fear or failure.  I'm not a proponent of "it's my way or the highway" - I leave that to other sites.  BTW I've had some very enjoyable moments at Reefton with horses.  But the day I won two West Coast Athletic titles on the course is my best memory.

Anyway I'm still on track to remind you of a challenge you made on BOAY.

Merry Christmas!

Celebrate Double Dare GIF by Nickelodeon