Bit Of A Yarn

Another Serious Question

Doomed

On 28/12/2023 at 12:31 PM, Doomed said:

Another interesting aspect of today's meeting is that if Timaru had run one extra race and finished at 6.35 they would have qualified as a twilight meeting and been able to run all their races for $25,000. Currently the last race is at 6pm. I presume they were prevented from doing that. As it is there are 10 ballots who won't get a start today. One race had 25 noms so lots of horses eliminated as well.

Even Kurow is interesting. The top four in the Cup are all rated 85 and higher, which is the same as the Rich Hill mile and one more than the Queen Liz.

I'm not sure if this means SI racing is really strong at the moment, or that NI racing is really weak. Or perhaps the rating system is faulty.

A point that was made to me recently; namely, that ratings are obtained by racing against other horses, and assessing the merit or otherwise of performance.

Southern horses race mostly within a limited pool, and ratings are relative to their performances against each other.  If they regularly competed against northern horses, this apparent anomaly wouldn't happen.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Freda said:

A point that was made to me recently; namely, that ratings are obtained by racing against other horses, and assessing the merit or otherwise of performance.

Southern horses race mostly within a limited pool, and ratings are relative to their performances against each other.  If they regularly competed against northern horses, this apparent anomaly wouldn't happen.

I don't see how their ratings/performance would improve just because they race against NI horses, unless they are actually better than their assigned ratings in which case their is something wrong with the relative ratings and the handicapping system.

1 hour ago, curious said:

I don't see how their ratings/performance would improve just because they race against NI horses, unless they are actually better than their assigned ratings in which case their is something wrong with the relative ratings and the handicapping system.

Performance wouldn't alter but the ratings might if the competition was more widely spread. 

52 minutes ago, Freda said:

Performance wouldn't alter but the ratings might if the competition was more widely spread. 

Maybe. However I think there is enough competition between NI and SI horses to align ratings, especially major Riccarton events such as cup week. That's how us punters have to do it and I don't generally see any major discrepancies so I think the handicappers are doing a pretty good job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, curious said:

Maybe. However I think there is enough competition between NI and SI horses to align ratings, especially major Riccarton events such as cup week. That's how us punters have to do it and I don't generally see any major discrepancies so I think the handicappers are doing a pretty good job.

Fair enough.        If there were serious anomalies, you'd find them!