Bit Of A Yarn

Melbourne Cup 2023 - watch this ride...the jockey wearing the yellow silks.

4 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Many seem to criticise the use of drones and the perspective they show.

This film seems to support the value of this initiative !

During a live race?  A replay is interesting but I'm not sure apart from the start and first 200m where you know which gate your horse is in might be useful bit after that it doesn't help.  Unless the put numbers on the horses rump or the jockeys backs.

Just now, Chief Stipe said:

During a live race?  A replay is interesting but I'm not sure apart from the start and first 200m where you know which gate your horse is in might be useful bit after that it doesn't help.  Unless the put numbers on the horses rump or the jockeys backs.

Each runner has different colour silks so you can identify...them.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

Each runner has different colour silks so you can identify...them.

Yeah right that'll work in the Karaka Millions when half the field is from one stable.

Good luck identifying every horse in the Melbourne Cup as well.

The 2 Irish ones in same colours loomed up togeather and hit the lead turning for home in this Melbourne Cup video above . was hard to tell them apart I spose.

Looked the strong Quinella chance too at that stage , but both tired out the last 250m .

And you saw the 2024 Melbourne Cup Winner there too. SOULCOMBE coming from Waaay back.

(Just Like Verry Elleegant did the year before her Big Cup Win ) she finished strongly for 7th on that occasion. 

Soulcombe got right Up to 2nd last year in the drone video . Wins by 3 lengths this year 🏆👍😎

(edit I see you were picking him too Chief as I was typing. great minds lol 😆)

Edited by Gammalite

15 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Soulcombe got right Up to 2nd last year in the drone video . Wins by 3 lengths this year 🏆👍😎

Yeah looking at that video he was dead stiff.  Took a couple of looks to sort him out as another horse had the same colours.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yeah right that'll work in the Karaka Millions when half the field is from one stable.

Usually they will distinguish the runners by having a different colour cap.Keep an eye out for that in the KM's.

14 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

Usually they will distinguish the runners by having a different colour cap.Keep an eye out for that in the KM's.

Right so you could pick Soulcombe out from the other horse wearing the same colours AND cap by...let me guess...the horse was a lighter colour?

Yeah Na.  Drone footage has limited value during live racing but great for post race analysis.  Good for you @holy ravioli as you'd find more excuses for why your bets lost!

Case in point next race at Tauranga.  Two Te Akau runners one has a quartered cap - good luck picking that out in drone footage!

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Are you being Grumpy Chief ...go fishing or go to the beach.

I just home from the beach and it crowded !

Just like the good ol days' of racing.....people go cos everyone else is going with the extra bonus of being able to eye up some nice fillies !

27 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Are you being Grumpy Chief ...go fishing or go to the beach.

I just home from the beach and it crowded !

Just like the good ol days' of racing.....people go cos everyone else is going with the extra bonus of being able to eye up some nice fillies !

No not grumpy however I don't see the benefit of drone footage during a race.  The Australians only screen an overhead shot for the first 100 to 200m.  

It's best use is after a race when analysing what happened to horses during the running.

I'm all for innovation but when there are still plenty of things to fix for the punter I think it is a waste of resources.

As for fillies at Karaka - fill your boots.  But not all the good colts and fillies are eligible for the Karaka Millions.  Already signs that it screws up our age group pattern.  Just like all the novelty races.  You do that and eventually it will screw our breeding industry.

3 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

Another tip.Race commentators are employed to call each race.Their skill is to describe with accuracy the positions of runners as a race unfolds.They are generally pretty good.

So the blind and the deaf are catered for.The stupid=no.

You really are new to this game aren't you @holy ravioli !!

Commentators don't always get it right and how is listening to a commentator going to work with a drone when he is describing the race from side on and the drone is above?

Stupid?  Lift ya game.

What would you do to encourage punters?  Even new punters?

Positively speaking (for @TAB For Ever) I tell you what I'd do in the short term.  Fix the dam weight allowances/overweight disappearing online and improve the form presentation so the punter doesn't have to go to other sites to look at it!  Which invariably leads to seeing better odds elsewhere!!!