Bit Of A Yarn

Attention Cost Accountants , Numbers experts with Racing Nous !

Morning keyboard warriors.....had to post early today cos things bothering me . Sunday is Harness day so an observation on them first.Big fields on the grasstrack at Motukarara , but overall the day at less of an attraction than last week especially after yesterdays rain .But the TAB will be pushing hard with their $10k guaranteed First 4's minimums plus other Advertising/promotion. Will phone reception be any better . 12 races mainly of minimum stakes, and less than the low key Cambridge meet,  except for Race 8 which is for $20k but only 7 horses , and a race for those rated 51 or higher. Horses racing around this level are mediocre with about 4 x wins each.

If this race in the North Dr Luc Chin would have a few starters including one horse who has won 14 races ,and has done a great job up north having 40 starts in a season. The Doc also has a 8 x win horse who is rated 35. The non winners racing today  are rated between 40 and 49 !  Go figure !

Gallops stakes......some on here repeatedly compare Stakes , Field size , Programs, turnovers , yields and other topics which it is hard to work out their connection to other than the chip on shoulder re South Island racing , closed tracks etc etc 

But one thing that pisses me , cos I've had to PAY more than a few time are the Nomination fees a few clubs charge for selected races ....some then puff their chest out and say the Club is contributing toward stakes when it is actually the OWNERS !

Recently second late noms went in for The Wellington Cup [ and WRC Group races] to be run in late January......$7,200  Then should the horse decide to line up ,it is another $3450 to accept.Any horse who nominated 2 x months earlier has paid $173 , $390 and $600 before they get to the $3450 payment. I guess horses at least get $4500 back for 6th to 10th !

For Thorndon it a little simpler.... $6 k late nome , $4,600 accept     Early noms have paid $738 before the $4,600. At least 6 - 10th earn $6k

The Nz Derby at ARC is $1mil Stake so charges are more...$30k for late nom , $8k for final field .

If trainers are responsible for the original noms they need to be aware of the cost to the owner if early noms missed thru tardiness ! 

But overall Owners seem very happy with recent Stakes increases from their codes via Entain /TAB.

TAB For ever ...some good sport to bet on today if you like Sports .

Locally there is the ASB Tennis and the Breakers at 4pm. Sure to be plenty of Cricket and Football as well !

1 hour ago, TAB For Ever said:

Will phone reception be any better .

The punters don't need PHONE reception - just a WiFi connection.  Surely the TAB can provide that at Motukarara or for that matter at any agency or sports pub with access limited to the TABNZ app.

• Like 1

Gallops stakes......some on here repeatedly compare Stakes , Field size , Programs, turnovers , yields and other topics which it is hard to work out their connection to other than the chip on shoulder re South Island racing , closed tracks etc etc 

You find it hard to find a connection to what?  Profitability?

But one thing that pisses me , cos I've had to PAY more than a few time are the Nomination fees a few clubs charge for selected races ....some then puff their chest out and say the Club is contributing toward stakes when it is actually the OWNERS !

The nomination fees are normally for Grp races - mostly there are no fees.  One thing about nomination fees for the big races is it eliminates the inexperienced tyre kickers.

Recently second late noms went in for The Wellington Cup [ and WRC Group races] to be run in late January......$7,200  Then should the horse decide to line up ,it is another $3450 to accept.Any horse who nominated 2 x months earlier has paid $173 , $390 and $600 before they get to the $3450 payment. I guess horses at least get $4500 back for 6th to 10th !

For Thorndon it a little simpler.... $6 k late nome , $4,600 accept     Early noms have paid $738 before the $4,600. At least 6 - 10th earn $6k

The Nz Derby at ARC is $1mil Stake so charges are more...$30k for late nom , $8k for final field .

If trainers are responsible for the original noms they need to be aware of the cost to the owner if early noms missed thru tardiness ! 

Your point?  If you have a horse good enough and with the lead up form you'll have no trouble paying those nom fees.

One of the reasons for nominations be it early or late was the time required for clubs to gather the information for official and printing needs. These days its done in a fraction of a second. The noms nowadays is just for sweepstake purposes or for management to seek a better restaurant. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Centaur said:

One of the reasons for nominations be it early or late was the time required for clubs to gather the information for official and printing needs. These days its done in a fraction of a second.

Really?  What about handicapping?

24 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

That comes under official. Prior to computer it took a lot longer.

Yes well unfortunately most trainers aren't up to speed with computers and are slow with their stable returns and manually notify their nominations.

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yes well unfortunately most trainers aren't up to speed with computers and are slow with their stable returns and manually notify their nominations.

Not true, most are well and truly utilising technology for  racing purposes.

1 hour ago, curious said:

Not sure how that would help the programming deficiencies?

If the organisation that captures the data used it appropriately then of course it would.

In this case no chance of that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

You find it hard to find a connection to what?  Profitability?

A connection to the matters being discussed ........for example why would someone living in a cave in Nightcaps continually be posting about the pending sale/closure of Avondale or the financial struggles of the ATC ,or why there are more races in the Northern region with smaller field sizes etc. Sometimes these may be of general interest but its continual ,its pointless and its boring. Of course some already finding my waffly posts to be 'rubbish'.....these sites really make you feel welcome and we must remember it is the internet and anything goes.

I've been reading the racing sites and social media for some years before posting and learned early on to be careful .I notice that as Owner of site you like to come across as the strong man ,the grumpy old bastard ,take no nonsense and get into tit-for-tat debate over racing matters to show you know more than your combatee ! In the   main  two threads I been on I note that a couple of your regulars are now going toe to toe with you. Maybe your combative style of debate is good for 'clicks' but I would suggest it prevents others from participating. 

I note you been in a few debates with Mikie or Michael from Blenheim a vastly knowlegable and experienced race person...owner/trainer/ breeder/administrator . You seem to have worn him down ! Bring back people like Mikie ,and Tomas ,even tho Mikie another with extremely strong personal interest and bias. At least we know he had runs on the board !

Recently when the debate over the importance of turnover arose you switched to the word yield or margin. I was shamed from the debate by being tagged a Cost Accountant. Do you bank %'s or $$$ ? Also Interesting how you will convince readers that a big picnic crowd watching a few races closeup once a year in an area with no horse industry introduce new devotees.......you are being challenged Chief , strongly !

And my thread on some hidden , expensive and IMO unnecessary costs of horse ownership does not seem to interest you....you think it OK to burden owners with a $7000 charge to merely nominate a horse 3 weeks prior to a race. You think Horse ownership affordable into the future ?

I first learned about Racing sites in NZ about 18 years ago...an enthusiastic  friend who bet regularly , bred and raced  with 3 partners the odd horse and they had raced a Group 1 winner , took me into his house and introduced me to the main channel , explaining how interesting /informative he found it . There were big Owners ,Punters , Breeders , trainers the odd jockey/driver etc etc . The environment  has definitely changed to one of negativity , skepticism and general criticism. Even the main channel  now just Competitions and same few posting and NO sports etc.

I'd think it was a great opportunity for you to improve but maybe you don't want to....the Ads for sexy women seemed to have increased.

I think it would be great to concentrate on things that can be changed and improved ...be different  ,concentrate on things you can do something about. And more of the future.  I love the good old days more than everybody...I doubt if few on here have my longevity in racing ,yet my very first posts were met with the....."how long has this TAB person been around".Then my next posts were examined for mistakes...I slip the odd one in for a laugh .Now they are guessing my identity..Mick Guerin good for a laugh haha ! 

Back to connections....IMO some of the most 'interesting' posts are...... eg As an owner I went to the  races recently  NOT I raced a horse 45 years ago , OR I tried to place a $500 win bet and NOT my neighbours mate bet on a horse and.....OR the Coast was ,and still is a great place to advance in racing OR I hate NZ racing , Aussie is better but I know best... OR this young 17 yr old jockey/driver is a disgrace and  shit ! Is anything good happening out there ??

Reefton tomorrow.....weather forecast good........something sure to  happen to impress local enthusiasts that it one of the greatest days on the NZ Turf.....is there a gate charge ? Can't wait !

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

.....these sites really make you feel welcome and we must remember it is the internet and anything goes.

A warm welcome to you TAB4eva , always good to hear from others with differing opinions right or wrong!

19 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

I've been reading the racing sites and social media for some years before posting and learned early on to be careful .I notice that as Owner of site you like to come across as the strong man ,the grumpy old bastard ,take no nonsense and get into tit-for-tat debate over racing matters to show you know more than your combatee ! In the   main  two threads I been on I note that a couple of your regulars are now going toe to toe with you. Maybe your combative style of debate is good for 'clicks' but I would suggest it prevents others from participating.

The alternative that you will see on other channels is you are banned for being combative.  Everyone is free to participate on BOAY regardless of what they say or what they think of me.  I don't get concerned about it.  As for the clicks - those and the people who kindly subscribe covers the cost of providing this forum.  I'd love to be paid for the hours I put in keeping it going.  Actually I'd love to have been fully paid for resurrecting the other channel and administering and developing it over many years!

23 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

I note you been in a few debates with Mikie or Michael from Blenheim a vastly knowlegable and experienced race person...owner/trainer/ breeder/administrator . You seem to have worn him down ! Bring back people like Mikie ,and Tomas ,even tho Mikie another with extremely strong personal interest and bias. At least we know he had runs on the board !

I doubt anyone could wear Mr O'Brien down anymore than he does it to himself.  He may have had runs on the board but a fair few of them were well short of the crease or leg byes!

25 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Recently when the debate over the importance of turnover arose you switched to the word yield or margin. I was shamed from the debate by being tagged a Cost Accountant. Do you bank %'s or $$$ ? Also Interesting how you will convince readers that a big picnic crowd watching a few races closeup once a year in an area with no horse industry introduce new devotees.......you are being challenged Chief , strongly !

Challenged by whom?  You displayed all the credentials of a Cost Accountant.  In wagering yield is the most important metric just as managing yieldis in selling seats on planes or rental cars.

All I said regarding the big crowd picnic meetings is it makes racing accessible to a new generation of potential punters and owners.  Even a few youngsters choosing a career in the industry.  Is it any different from the Boys Get Paid pitching up once a year at Ellerslie?  Well it is a bit different as their participation is heavily subsidised in comparison to those attending the picnic meetings.

29 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

And my thread on some hidden , expensive and IMO unnecessary costs of horse ownership does not seem to interest you....you think it OK to burden owners with a $7000 charge to merely nominate a horse 3 weeks prior to a race. You think Horse ownership affordable into the future ?

Horse ownership has always been expensive.  The point I was making is that if you have a horse good enough to be competitive in a Group race and have the form then $7,000 isn't a great deal to pay.  Considering in terms of nomination they would have had a relatively free ride to get to that point.

32 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Back to connections....IMO some of the most 'interesting' posts are...... eg As an owner I went to the  races recently  NOT I raced a horse 45 years ago , OR I tried to place a $500 win bet and NOT my neighbours mate bet on a horse and.....OR the Coast was ,and still is a great place to advance in racing OR I hate NZ racing , Aussie is better but I know best... OR this young 17 yr old jockey/driver is a disgrace and  shit ! Is anything good happening out there ??

Did you lose your train of thought in that paragraph?  It is a sport and everything is open to discussion be it positive or negative.  If you read closely you will see I more often than not counter negativity strongly particularly the tall poppy slayers.

• Like 2

@TAB For Ever  - I might add to that Channels 2 and 3 have tried their damdest to bring BOAY down - one channel purely out of spite and using some really underhand methods and the second because I refused to ban people they didn't like.  The irony is I got rid of the main person they didn't like not through banning them but through debating them. 

BOAY is an open forum for every viewpoint.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1