Bit Of A Yarn

First day early preview for Marlborough Harness on Friday 19th of January.

R1.......Plenty to like about the second race day run of The Chase @ The Mot. He's not foolproof but bypassed Nelson for his preferred grass surface. If he trots all the way, he wins. the rest are a bit of a lucky dip.

R2........Deadset quinella here. Twista has plenty of heart to go with his ability so just needs a run through at the start from his draw to be right in this. 

Had to be impressed with Alta Showgirl on the grass @ The Mot. Did work and kept giving. Bypassed the grit @ Nelson for the grass here. Look no further than these two.

R3.......Chall Vee Power will appreciate the draw and is a chance of an early double for the Barron / Orange combo. 

R4.......Open race here with scope for an upset. Judine kept giving two starts back @ The Mot and has bypassed Nelson for this. Genuine winning chance. 

Olde Oak Emma with the Orange man in the bike could be the value.

R5......Ali Lindenny closing in on another win. Last start run had a lot of merit. Goes very well here and has the right man in the bike. 

Sods Law could put his hand up for a fresh win and has won here previously. 

R6......On Report looking more like it now and Glengarry Midnight was nice two starts back on the grass. Both are likely contenders.

R7......He's A Jackalack ticks the boxes here. Is overdue saluting the judge.

Soviet Star was nice at Nelson and is drawn well here to trail and outfinish them late.

R8......Cormoran Strike looks poised to give Coaster and Robbie Close a double. He didn't have much luck at Nelson.

R9.......Good open field. I liked the run of Dare Devil @ The Mot. Bit of luck in the running and he can salute the judge. 

To Ri Ruby is a good mare suited to the grass. Won nice at Methven in early December. Simon Adlam goes well at Waterlea and Rick May in outstanding driving form at Ashvegas yesterday.

Not sure what's going on with Franco Messi. Disappointing finish last time and driver Sarah O'Reilly told the stipes the horse is better suited to a longer distance than the 2000 metres. This race is over 1850 metres.

R10......Cup Prelude. Mossdale Ben was good enough to run against Swayzee and Akuta in the NZ Cup. That form easily enough to win this.  Superb recent trial win highlights is ready to rumble. My bed of the day and will double up and win the Marlborough Cup on Sunday. Take that to the bank.  

Dashing Major sure to be in it on both days. 

Race 11......Divine Angel wom very nicely @ The Mot in early December and then ran a beauty for second there a week ago. Should go close to winning this.

Social Distancing was very solid at Nelson and is drawn well to continue that rich vein of form. Has won on the grass previously. Robbie Close a strong contender to have a very good day.

Good luck if you're having a crack. Hope you have a big day if you're going Mardy.

Edited by Walt
  • Like 1

like your thoughts on old oak Emma, and sods law, couple my old favourites, first appearance of the geddes horse on the circuit, always follow them when their on the coast, mogul always liked the coast and usually paid a good div, won his first two starts there, latterly trained by Mr house.always seems to have plenty of room in his stables, thought they may have brought some new stock on the trip, but I guess there hard to find, razors edge should go ok, very honest. Would love to be their but travel and work their to keep me honest, have been to the gallops up there a few times, but alas there gone these days,

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Walt said:

R1.......Plenty to like about the second race day run of The Chase @ The Mot. He's not foolproof but bypassed Nelson for his preferred grass surface. If he trots all the way, he wins. the rest are a bit of a lucky dip.

R2........Deadset quinella here. Twista has plenty of heart to go with his ability so just needs a run through at the start from his draw to be right in this. 

Had to be impressed with Alta Showgirl on the grass @ The Mot. Did work and kept giving. Bypassed the grit @ Nelson for the grass here. Look no further than these two.

R3.......Chall Vee Power will appreciate the draw and is a chance of an early double for the Barron / Orange combo. 

R4.......Open race here with scope for an upset. Judine kept giving two starts back @ The Mot and has bypassed Nelson for this. Genuine winning chance. 

R5......Ali Lindenny closing in on another win. Last start run had a lot of merit. Goes very well here and has the right man in the bike. 

R6......On Report looking more like it now and Glengarry Midnight was nice two starts back on the grass. Both are likely contenders.

Soviet Star was nice at Nelson and is drawn well here to trail and outfinish them late.

R8......Cormoran Strike looks poised to give Coaster and Robbie Close a double. He didn't have much luck at Nelson.

R9.......Good open field. I liked the run of Dare Devil @ The Mot. Bit of luck in the running and he can salute the judge. 

To Ri Ruby is a good mare suited to the grass. Won nice at Methven in early December. Simon Adlam goes well at Waterlea and Rick May in outstanding driving form at Ashvegas yesterday.

Not sure what's going on with Franco Messi. Disappointing finish last time and driver Sarah O'Reilly told the stipes the horse is better suited to a longer distance than the 2000 metres. This race is over 1850 metres.

R10......Cup Prelude. Mossdale Ben was good enough to run against Swayzee and Akuta in the NZ Cup. That form easily enough to win this.  Superb recent trial win highlights is ready to rumble. My bed of the day and will double up and win the Marlborough Cup on Sunday. Take that to the bank.  

Race 11......Divine Angel wom very nicely @ The Mot in early December and then ran a beauty for second there a week ago. Should go close to winning this.

Social Distancing was very solid at Nelson and is drawn well to continue that rich vein of form. Has won on the grass previously. Robbie Close a strong contender to have a very good day.

Good luck if you're having a crack. Hope you have a big day if you're going Mardy.

Some nice thoughts there Walt. Not going on Friday due to work and then child commitments after work,but will head out on Sunday....just hope the forecasted rain for Sunday doesn't happen.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Some nice thoughts there Walt. Not going on Friday due to work and then child commitments after work,but will head out on Sunday....just hope the forecasted rain for Sunday doesn't happen.

It's a bugger working for a living, but most of us do, makes it worse when there at your back door, hopefully the rain stays away, mind you a soft track might bring a few roughies into play,.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shad said:

like your thoughts on old oak Emma, and sods law, couple my old favourites, first appearance of the geddes horse on the circuit, always follow them when their on the coast, mogul always liked the coast and usually paid a good div, won his first two starts there, latterly trained by Mr house.always seems to have plenty of room in his stables, thought they may have brought some new stock on the trip, but I guess there hard to find, razors edge should go ok, very honest. Would love to be their but travel and work their to keep me honest, have been to the gallops up there a few times, but alas there gone these days,

I remember the days or nights at Victoria Park. Shame they couldn't keep the venue going but I may be just being nostalgic. Perhaps there was an omen in Mitch Kerr winning the last race there in 2009 with Pay Me Painter.

Coast horses like others are rock hard fit after the Coast / Nelson circuit so it's not rare for them to put their hand up at Blenheim. 

The Geddes name has been winning races for many years and know where the finish line is. More often than not you get value with their stable runners. On his day Sods Law is very hard to get past. He looks well placed on Friday as a ten race winner going up against numerous one race winners. He'll need to get past eight race winner Ali Lindenny who looked close to winning form at The Mot recently. 

Looking forward to the meeting. Grass track harness always a big fav. 

11 hours ago, Mardy said:

The forecast for the Sunday at Nelson was bad Mardy but as we got closer it changed and we had no rain at all. Fingers crossed you have the same. If it does run hopefully just enough to water the track. 

Enjoy Sunday and hope you nail multiple winners. Something special about our local meeting. 

11 hours ago, Walt said:

I remember the days or nights at Victoria Park. Shame they couldn't keep the venue going but I may be just being nostalgic. Perhaps there was an omen in Mitch Kerr winning the last race there in 2009 with Pay Me Painter.

Coast horses like others are rock hard fit after the Coast / Nelson circuit so it's not rare for them to put their hand up at Blenheim. 

The Geddes name has been winning races for many years and know where the finish line is. More often than not you get value with their stable runners. On his day Sods Law is very hard to get past. He looks well placed on Friday as a ten race winner going up against numerous one race winners. He'll need to get past eight race winner Ali Lindenny who looked close to winning form at The Mot recently. 

Looking forward to the meeting. Grass track harness always a big fav. 

I think I was at the last hurrah for the greymouth trotting club, was latterly a day meeting, can remember the night and twilight meetings, quite a novelty, and who would thought they hosted an open class trot, with the likes of Waipounamu and Nigel Craig pop into my head, also the night when a driver mistook the number of rounds to the finish, the land just a barron wasteland, obviously no good for any other use, the club always battled before the proposed new lease was to double, always wondered why they never went to the grass of omoto, having  had a few supporting races to the gallops the odd time,the old trsck was a very similar to the hutt park all weather track, so many memories a couple of locals that claimed the 10k bonus for winning a races at Westport Reefton and greymouth, Steven John from Westport and maybe Wilbur win trained by Billy Cummings from Kumara or just up the road, even maybe our mana from canterbury,hopefully by memory serves me correct, someone out there will know, enough of a trip down memory lane, going to check the fixed odds for tomorrow, diedre franco a few honest races on the coast, nice draw and should go ok but wont pay a lot.

• Champ Post 1

40 minutes ago, Shad said:

I think I was at the last hurrah for the greymouth trotting club, was latterly a day meeting, can remember the night and twilight meetings, quite a novelty, and who would thought they hosted an open class trot, with the likes of Waipounamu and Nigel Craig pop into my head, also the night when a driver mistook the number of rounds to the finish, the land just a barron wasteland, obviously no good for any other use, the club always battled before the proposed new lease was to double, always wondered why they never went to the grass of omoto, having  had a few supporting races to the gallops the odd time,the old trsck was a very similar to the hutt park all weather track, so many memories a couple of locals that claimed the 10k bonus for winning a races at Westport Reefton and greymouth, Steven John from Westport and maybe Wilbur win trained by Billy Cummings from Kumara or just up the road, even maybe our mana from canterbury,hopefully by memory serves me correct, someone out there will know, enough of a trip down memory lane, going to check the fixed odds for tomorrow, diedre franco a few honest races on the coast, nice draw and should go ok but wont pay a lot.

Excellent post Shad. A very good read.

Have attached a photo you'll appreciate despite the quality being poor.

image.jpeg.080ba732baa5ec654f2998a678cb3b45.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shad said:

and who would thought they hosted an open class trot, with the likes of Waipounamu and Nigel Craig pop into my head, 

Stormy Morn (Dominion & Rowe Cup)

Even Speed (Trotting Stakes, Ross Antico & Rowe Cup)

Alais Armbro (Trotting Stakes & Dominion)

Kate's Return

Pointer Hanover

Hano Direct (Interdominion & Dullard Cup)

And a bit later little Chesapeake (Trotting Stakes)

Also Franco Enforce won his first start there and less than a month and 2 starts later he won the G1 3yo Sires Stakes Final

Many horses benefited from the trip away unlike Ranga who needed a fair quantity of The Brodsters Magic Elixir.

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Walt said:

Excellent post Shad. A very good read.

Have attached a photo you'll appreciate despite the quality being poor.

image.jpeg.080ba732baa5ec654f2998a678cb3b45.jpeg

Thanks walt, nice photo, that sort of history is priceless, only problem is the next generation is not interested, hopefully you'll have someone interest to hand it on to one day, thanks ranga for adding a few top trotters to the open class trot, quite incredible to think these top trotters graced the all weather or greymouth, can remember many a year ago backing a horse called moorbank supreme at greymouth maybe trained by mr mc cormack,few friends joked that it had no show, lead all the way paying 60s to my delight,never won another race, also a horse called pendah bay, was rumored to only have one eye,crickey crazy things one remembers, good to to you fellas if your having a punt tomorrow, great day on the grass with very good fields. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

On 1/17/2024 at 9:38 AM, Walt said:

I would not touch dare devil period.i believe Cullen is toxic like stormont.i like your thoughts thou.heres my opinion which is money big time for me.john Morrison is the best driver in NZ now and he's only getting better!Im praying he doesn't marry Nicole Harris and have kids as that will f things up.blair orange has said the thing he wants to see in 2024 is john get on one knee and ask Nicole to marry him💐😝

1 hour ago, Forbury said:

I would not touch dare devil period.i believe Cullen is toxic like stormont.i like your thoughts thou.heres my opinion which is money big time for me.john Morrison is the best driver in NZ now and he's only getting better!Im praying he doesn't marry Nicole Harris and have kids as that will f things up.blair orange has said the thing he wants to see in 2024 is john get on one knee and ask Nicole to marry him💐😝

Fair enough Forbury. I didn't factor that in. Was just aware of his ability and was impressed by the way he ran home. He's been scratched anyway.

11 hours ago, Rangatira said:

Stormy Morn (Dominion & Rowe Cup)

Even Speed (Trotting Stakes, Ross Antico & Rowe Cup)

Alais Armbro (Trotting Stakes & Dominion)

Kate's Return

Pointer Hanover

Hano Direct (Interdominion & Dullard Cup)

And a bit later little Chesapeake (Trotting Stakes)

Also Franco Enforce won his first start there and less than a month and 2 starts later he won the G1 3yo Sires Stakes Final

Many horses benefited from the trip away unlike Ranga who needed a fair quantity of The Brodsters Magic Elixir.

Some superb names there Rangatira.

One I remember especially was the mare Chesapeake. Nelson training icon Noel Berkett bred and raced her. She won a handful and usually from the front. She lived to the grand age of 41.

I think her best offspring was Sundon's Peak who Colin DeFilippi won a few races with. Chesapeake produced Strawbs K Two who produced Nottingham K Two who won half a dozen.