Bit Of A Yarn

Yesterday Friday - NO racing in NZ.  Tomorrow Sunday NO racing in NZ.  Today 3 meetings, Karaka Millions, Trentham and Rioccarton all vying for the betting dollar, the horses and the jockeys.  Who makes the business cases up for these meetings?  Surely either Riccarton or Trentham could have been yesterday or tomorrow, especially with tomorrow being the mid day of a long weekend for half the country!  It simply makes no sense whatsoever.

I had been going to make mention of similar things myself.  This weekend a long weekend for many people and no gallops Friday, Sunday or Monday. Bit of a contrast to Aussie who had Caulfield, Eagle Farm etc yesterday. They seem to have largely given up on Fridays and Sundays. I can almost understand Sundays, although don't agree with it, as they apparently have given up on oncourse attendance. Apparently oncourse is only important on the 6 race card day, which is bizarre in itself. Abandoning Fridays does seem very strange as that should be a good off course turnover day.

It will be interesting to see the turnovers for the midweek "twilight" meeting which are getting extra funding of about $50,000 - $60,000 per meeting. Presumably they are supposed to attract oncourse attendance. I would have thought a Friday twilight would have been the ideal timeslot for such meetings.

January has 2 Sundays and 2 Fridays with no gallops; February has 1 Sunday and 2 Fridays; March 1 Sunday and 3 Fridays. Seems really bizarre to me.

There are people who think the industry is going great guns because stakes have increased, but none of the stakes increases are related to increased turnover or income. So I am still a bit dubious about the upturn myself.

I have seen today's twilight go described as NZ's greatest race-day! A six race card with no group 1 race, and two rich, listed, age group races without the country's top 2 and 3yos. Talk about smoke and mirrors.

• Champ Post 1

Yeah, looking at that first race from Riccarton you can see the calibre of riders today. I know, before people jump up and down and say we have Kylie Williams and co… yes they are good…. But trust me some of the others are terrible. 

36 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Yeah, looking at that first race from Riccarton you can see the calibre of riders today. I know, before people jump up and down and say we have Kylie Williams and co… yes they are good…. But trust me some of the others are terrible. 

This thread wasn't actually about jockeys, it was discussing dates and programming.

The jockeys all have to learn somewhere and without proper tiered racing it makes it pretty tricky for them.

No jocks want to ride the next day , all out partying after KM and everyone is off to the sales which are on tomorrow.

Besides that if the jocks were going to ride next day, most of the jocks from today wouldn't get a ride.