Bit Of A Yarn

Luk Chin Out Until March 2nd

Rangatira

5 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I know that you can wake a horse up with a good crack of a rein than fiddling around with a whip.

If you're taking em' for a jog or workout in training Chief , that may be so . horse is quite relaxed and enjoying it's work hopefully.  BUT in a race you pretty much just ''steering with the reins in that situation . (to avoid running into things lol)😄  you are racing in Tight quarters sometimes. 

The whip fiddling is like the deafeners . you apply them to SCARE the horse into putting in as hard as it can. At the gallops or the trots the 'noise' made by the riders and drivers as they turn for home is quite remarkable , and loud on occasion. you've probably heard D. Oliver screeching from there  lol. I used to whack the dust sheet , the wheel disc's made a great crack, even the running rail at times, as well as across the reins and bum of horse . Even hit a rival driver at times lol 😂 You are trying to FRIGHTEN your horse in to Winning (or running on at least)  

every time I go to Albion we are down by the home turn (stables area) and you can hear the Tunes of the drivers making as much noise as they can. you're not spose to whistle but some do. ya hear em' . at Eagle Farm the same thing. Jockeys making a HUUUge noise as they turn for home if you position yourself down there to hear it. A lot of them just slapping the horses shoulder with the whip to Make NOISE. they're not trying to hurt the horses . they're tougher than that.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gammalite said:

If you're taking em' for a jog or workout in training Chief , that may be so . horse is quite relaxed and enjoying it's work hopefully.  BUT in a race you pretty much just ''steering with the reins in that situation . (to avoid running into things lol)😄  you are racing in Tight quarters sometimes. 

Bollocks.  Go back and have a look a few races.

For example look at this race and the three placgetters.  All the drivers are cracking their reins.

The whip fiddling is like the deafeners . you apply them to SCARE the horse into putting in as hard as it can. At the gallops or the trots the 'noise' made by the riders and drivers as they turn for home is quite remarkable , and loud on occasion. you've probably heard D. Oliver screeching from there  lol. I used to whack the dust sheet , the wheel disc's made a great crack, even the running rail at times, as well as across the reins and bum of horse . Even hit a rival driver at times lol 😂 You are trying to FRIGHTEN your horse in to Winning (or running on at least)  

If you are trying to scare them then surely showing the whip at them is enough.  That said a well trained horse will know when its time to move.  Hence the good ones coming on the bit when the action starts.

every time I go to Albion we are down by the home turn (stables area) and you can hear the Tunes of the drivers making as much noise as they can. you're not spose to whistle but some do. ya hear em' . at Eagle Farm the same thing. Jockeys making a HUUUge noise as they turn for home if you position yourself down there to hear it. A lot of them just slapping the horses shoulder with the whip to Make NOISE. they're not trying to hurt the horses . they're tougher than that.

Really?  Gammalite and Lord Module wouldn't be allowed to race today.  What was done to those two horses was inhumane.

5 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

If you are trying to scare them then surely showing the whip at them is enough.

Finally, you ran into my cunning plan Chief. So you agree showing the whip is enough, that’s impossible if you haven’t got one. Most of the time you want your horse on the bit gathered up, showing them the whip is enough, especially colts, most horses really.

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

Finally, you ran into my cunning plan Chief. So you agree showing the whip is enough, that’s impossible if you haven’t got one. Most of the time you want your horse on the bit gathered up, showing them the whip is enough, especially colts, most horses really.

I'm not anti-whip I just think there is a lot of BS written about their use and the rules that govern their use and rein use are unworkable.  Those rules are of now use to driver or horse.

As I said before you don't need to whip a well trained horse that tries as hard as it can.  Not that many drivers or stewards for that matter would know when a horse was giving everything i.e. not cheating.

Some on the Galloping side such as @Thomass come up with this stupid metric that one strike of the whip is worth x lengths which is utter crap.

Whipping is generally all show.

25 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I'm not anti-whip I just think there is a lot of BS written about their use and the rules that govern their use and rein use are unworkable.  Those rules are of now use to driver or horse.

As I said before you don't need to whip a well trained horse that tries as hard as it can.  Not that many drivers or stewards for that matter would know when a horse was giving everything i.e. not cheating.

Some on the Galloping side such as @Thomass come up with this stupid metric that one strike of the whip is worth x lengths which is utter crap.

Whipping is generally all show.

Personally can not agree that the whip is only for show, Chief.

I wouldnt wager on any horse where the driver has opted not to carry a whip!

My impression when a driver notifies the stipes that he is not carrying a whip, is that the horse is not going to be driven out!

Far bigger issues than the whip!