NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

cleaning job

the galah

my son applied for a cleaning job a couple of weeks back with the canterbury dhb,but has since been told he by someone  in the know that he would have had a much better chance if he was maori.

Then yesterday he was telling me how he was talking to a filipino friend who had applied for a non paying,voluntary position within the canterburty DHB involving cleaning. He had hoped by gaining the cleaning skills without receiving pay would help him get a full time or part position at the dhb. Well the filipino friend got a call a couple of days back from the person who was deciding who it was they give the unpaid position to. Initailly the filipino man was delighted to get the call,but the call then was only brief. The last 2 questions asked were..was he maori to which he replied no i'm filipino,then do you have a brother or sister who are maori,to which he replied...no i'm living with my brother ,but he is filipino as well and asked did that matter as he thought he was just voluteering for cleaning as advertised. Then the call ended without further questions.

So i looked up the canterbury dhb policy on such jobs.

It said any vacancy or new position that occurs within the canterbury dhb has to be assessed for the need to be redesignated as a position maori or pacific island should do.

It was interesting that a couple of years ago 3 of the 7 community and public health team leaders  with canterbury,south canterbury and west coast were maori.

Then i went on to read what must be considered every time a position is advertised at the canterbury DHB. Now i'm not sure whether this applies to all cleaning jobs,but certainly applies to other jobs such as health care, before deciding who gets an interview and what is asked at those interviews.

Aspects to consider.

Do you know if the interviewee is maori.

Is there maori on the interview panel and if so,what roles do they want in the interview and have they been involved in such things as short listing,developing of questions and preparation pior the interview.

it also says interview panels should have at least one maori.

All interview incorporate questions based on tikanga,te tiritio waitangi and maori health inequalities.

Interviews to include questions about cultural competencies as required and that maori questions and competencies included in the short listing process.

Questions to be asked in relation to health care roles to include .. Partnership,participation and protection are commonly recognised as 3 principles of the treaty of waitangi-how would you incorporate these or other treaty principles in your work within this role.

Maori health inequities within nz are well documented-can you give an example in the canterbury/south canterbury/west coast district.

How do you believe your work in this role will help improve health inequities for maori.

What experiences and exposure have you had with te reo maori.

Anyway you get the picture . this is what the labour government/maori party/ green party prioritised when in government.

So when i read all that i can see why maori are so anti the currwent government. They must be worried about the gravy train drying up to a small degree,although you would imagine 6 years of these polices would be hard to undo.

Which all goes back to what the filipino friend of my son said.  Why can't they just judge me on whether i can do the job or not. 

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 2

8 hours ago, the galah said:

my son applied for a cleaning job a couple of weeks back with the canterbury dhb,but has since been told he by someone  in the know that he would have had a much better chance if he was maori.

Then yesterday he was telling me how he was talking to a filipino friend who had applied for a non paying,voluntary position within the canterburty DHB involving cleaning. He had hoped by gaining the cleaning skills without receiving pay would help him get a full time or part position at the dhb. Well the filipino friend got a call a couple of days back from the person who was deciding who it was they give the unpaid position to. Initailly the filipino man was delighted to get the call,but the call then was only brief. The last 2 questions asked were..was he maori to which he replied no i'm filipino,then do you have a brother or sister who are maori,to which he replied...no i'm living with my brother ,but he is filipino as well and asked did that matter as he thought he was just voluteering for cleaning as advertised. Then the call ended without further questions.

So i looked up the canterbury dhb policy on such jobs.

It said any vacancy or new position that occurs within the canterbury dhb has to be assessed for the need to be redesignated as a position maori or pacific island should do.

It was interesting that a couple of years ago 3 of the 7 community and public health team leaders  with canterbury,south canterbury and west coast were maori.

Then i went on to read what must be considered every time a position is advertised at the canterbury DHB. Now i'm not sure whether this applies to all cleaning jobs,but certainly applies to other jobs such as health care, before deciding who gets an interview and what is asked at those interviews.

Aspects to consider.

Do you know if the interviewee is maori.

Is there maori on the interview panel and if so,what roles do they want in the interview and have they been involved in such things as short listing,developing of questions and preparation pior the interview.

it also says interview panels should have at least one maori.

All interview incorporate questions based on tikanga,te tiritio waitangi and maori health inequalities.

Interviews to include questions about cultural competencies as required and that maori questions and competencies included in the short listing process.

Questions to be asked in relation to health care roles to include .. Partnership,participation and protection are commonly recognised as 3 principles of the treaty of waitangi-how would you incorporate these or other treaty principles in your work within this role.

Maori health inequities within nz are well documented-can you give an example in the canterbury/south canterbury/west coast district.

How do you believe your work in this role will help improve health inequities for maori.

What experiences and exposure have you had with te reo maori.

Anyway you get the picture . this is what the labour government/maori party/ green party prioritised when in government.

So when i read all that i can see why maori are so anti the currwent government. They must be worried about the gravy train drying up to a small degree,although you would imagine 6 years of these polices would be hard to undo.

Which all goes back to what the filipino friend of my son said.  Why can't they just judge me on whether i can do the job or not. 

Welcome to the new New Zealand. 

I've seen more or less the same thing at Auckland and North Shore Hospitals but it wasn't in favour of Maori. It was heavily bias toward certain immigrants. Ironically, they even promoted an employee from the same part of the world to do the hiring. 

Either by design or otherwise, that person discarded every applicant that wasn't from his country of birth regardless if they were a better qualified candidate than the those being hired. Higher up the chain were fully aware this was the status quo and were comfortable with it. .  

• Sad 1

On 2/19/2024 at 11:29 PM, Walt said:

Welcome to the new New Zealand. 

I've seen more or less the same thing at Auckland and North Shore Hospitals but it wasn't in favour of Maori. It was heavily bias toward certain immigrants. Ironically, they even promoted an employee from the same part of the world to do the hiring. 

Either by design or otherwise, that person discarded every applicant that wasn't from his country of birth regardless if they were a better qualified candidate than the those being hired. Higher up the chain were fully aware this was the status quo and were comfortable with it. .  

Explains why Labour were skiting  about leaving hooks in the system that will take forever to change. They actually enjoy what they have done to nz.  They should never have power again. 

Hj

2 hours ago, Honestjohn said:

Explains why Labour were skiting  about leaving hooks in the system that will take forever to change. They actually enjoy what they have done to nz.  They should never have power again. 

Hj

Ginny Anderson should be sent to the front line in the Ukraine.

• Champ Post 1

• 2 weeks later...