Bit Of A Yarn

Another IT debacle.

Nothing to do with Entain but NZTR is kissing $4 million good bye. That's because they have ditched the integration into Australia's management of participants data.

Background.

NZTR’s current Racing Management System requires replacement due to Microsoft Access no longer being supported.
The Single National System Agreement between Racing Australia and NZTR was signed in August 2020. The project began in September 2020
NZTR and Racing Australia agreed on a list of customisations that will be specific to NZ and tailor the system to our needs.
Communication, Education & Training programs are being developed
Until this change is implemented racing industry participants will continue to use the service portals accessed through LOVERACING.NZ (this website has a dedicated information section for external participants).
Improvements through technology will take all participants on a journey to a new platform within our Industry. Thank you for being part of this change.

That's the fairy tale but now......

according to Dennis Ryan NZTR are reverting to their old system and "upskilling" its own IT department.

31 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

according to Dennis Ryan NZTR are reverting to their old system and "upskilling" its own IT department.

Here's hoping they fix their website and race replays.  Give HRNZ a call they have it sorted.  Popups are 15 year old tech.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Huey said:

This is absolutely downright criminal the wastage here, but not a thing will happen about it.

Two principles that should be followed.

1. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

2. Don't reinvent the wheel.

Legacy software quite often is perfectly OK. It's just that young programmers want to learn the latest fad in order to get the big pay. No one wants to learn the old way so businesses are sucked into needless "upgrades" where only minor tinkering is required.

A good example is the Western Australian website. It used to be satisfactory. Then they changed it but obviously the people doing it had no idea what punters wanted. Its actually a total joke now. Seems knowledge of IT and also racing is a rare commodity. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Centaur said:

1. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

It is broken.  

1 minute ago, The Centaur said:

2. Don't reinvent the wheel.

They weren't apparently - they were migrating to a system already used in Australia.  I suspect that part of the problem was the data and for some dumb reason different rules we have in NZ compared to OZ.

3 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

Legacy software quite often is perfectly OK. It's just that young programmers want to learn the latest fad in order to get the big pay. No one wants to learn the old way so businesses are sucked into needless "upgrades" where only minor tinkering is required.

A good example is the Western Australian website. It used to be satisfactory. Then they changed it but obviously the people doing it had no idea what punters wanted. Its actually a total joke now. Seems knowledge of IT and also racing is a rare commodity. 

Based on 35 years in IT Project and Programme Management the most common problem is a lack of clearly defined requirements or poorly defined requirements.  Followed by poor infrastructure investment.

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

It is broken.  

They weren't apparently - they were migrating to a system already used in Australia.  I suspect that part of the problem was the data and for some dumb reason different rules we have in NZ compared to OZ.

Based on 35 years in IT Project and Programme Management the most common problem is a lack of clearly defined requirements or poorly defined requirements.  Followed by poor infrastructure investment.

Chief,  based on my 54 years IT experience (1st tertiary qual for programming in NZ) the above what I have written is my take.

12 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

Chief,  based on my 54 years IT experience (1st tertiary qual for programming in NZ) the above what I have written is my take.

COBOL?  AGOL?  Mainframe?  Only jobs left in COBOL are with the IRD.

The facts are the system is broken and they didn't "reinvent the wheel" - they bought something that was supposedly already tested and tried.  They failed in the implementation and or the difference in system to requirements alignment was greater than 15%.

PS:  I first learnt a programming language (ALGOL-W) 50 years ago.  

19 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

COBOL?  AGOL?  Mainframe?  Only jobs left in COBOL are with the IRD.

The facts are the system is broken and they didn't "reinvent the wheel" - they bought something that was supposedly already tested and tried.  They failed in the implementation and or the difference in system to requirements alignment was greater than 15%.

PS:  I first learnt a programming language (ALGOL-W) 50 years ago.  

So they were basically incompetent buffoons , nothing to see here move on.