Bit Of A Yarn

Track Trials and Tribulations

MEETING NEWS

Raceday and Trial Changes – Feb/March/May

Raceday:

Due to the unavailability of the Te Aroha, Tauranga and Hawke’s Bay tracks the following changes have been made:

Thursday 29 February: Unfortunately the Tauranga track, which was inspected after trials on Tuesday, will require more time to recover and will not be able to be used for next Thursday’s meeting (29 February). As a consequence this meeting will now be a Matamata meeting at Matamata. This means that Tuesday’s trials (27 February) will be moved to Cambridge.

Friday 8 March: This will now be a Taupo RC meeting at Taupo. The Mdn 1600m that was programmed will now be a Mdn 1750m while the Mdn 2200m race will become 2000m.

Thursday 23 May: This Hawke’s Bay meeting has moved to Sunday 26 May and will now be a Woodville-Pahiatua RC licence at Woodville.

Trials:

With the movement of the above raceday, and other club-related issues, the trials for the Northern region will now be as follows:

Tues 27 February: Now Cambridge trials.

Tues 12 March: These trials have been pushed back 48 hours to Thursday 14 March due to the Taupo track being unavailable on the Tuesday.

• Haha 1

Just now, Chief Stipe said:

Thursday 29 February: Unfortunately the Tauranga track, which was inspected after trials on Tuesday, will require more time to recover and will not be able to be used for next Thursday’s meeting (29 February). As a consequence this meeting will now be a Matamata meeting at Matamata. This means that Tuesday’s trials (27 February) will be moved to Cambridge.

So 18 trials 20 February on a Good 4 track at Tauranga and the track is not able to be raced on in 9 days.

The trials next Tuesday scheduled for the Matamata track are now transferred to Cambridge on the AWT - mmm how many trainers will want that?

Meanwhile Matamata is expecting 25mm of rain tomorrow and will race on Saturday 24th then 5 days later again for the Tauranga meeting.  Mmmm will the Matamata track have "recovered in time"?

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

So 18 trials 20 February on a Good 4 track at Tauranga and the track is not able to be raced on in 9 days.

The trials next Tuesday scheduled for the Matamata track are now transferred to Cambridge on the AWT - mmm how many trainers will want that?

Meanwhile Matamata is expecting 25mm of rain tomorrow and will race on Saturday 24th then 5 days later again for the Tauranga meeting.  Mmmm will the Matamata track have "recovered in time"?

You couldn't make this up.

• Like 3

I suspect the powers that be are screwing Te Aroha over as well.  Talked to some club committee members when I was there and they have had to work hard to keep on side.  Did a lot of work and spent a lot of money.

Now they are out because of "patches of diseased grass"!

17 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I suspect the powers that be are screwing Te Aroha over as well.  Talked to some club committee members when I was there and they have had to work hard to keep on side.  Did a lot of work and spent a lot of money.

Now they are out because of "patches of diseased grass"!

Another great example of why would you bother as a club in this country , there is an IN club and an Elite bend over backwards club (Ellerslie)  everyone else on the outer.

I heard another perspective on the Te Aroha track.  Apparently the Matamata track manager offered to assist but the local Te Aroha farmers said no thank you.

I must say what I saw of the Matamata track on Saturday it was in perfect condition and offered a safe fair surface.

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

I heard another perspective on the Te Aroha track.  Apparently the Matamata track manager offered to assist but the local Te Aroha farmers said no thank you.

I must say what I saw of the Matamata track on Saturday it was in perfect condition and offered a safe fair surface.

Darrin Balcombe said this about it last October:

Te Aroha Racecourse
We recently completed the final phase of the 'Return to Racing' Policy for Te Aroha Racecourse, concluding in successful trials held on the surface on 12 October. This sets the stage for a return to racing on 1 November. Bart Cowan, our Regional Track Advisor, played a pivotal role in ensuring the track has reached the required safety standards. We're now focusing on implementing long-term plans to maintain and continue to enhance the track's quality. The first twelve months after reopening will feature a lighter racing schedule to facilitate essential maintenance, ensuring Te Aroha Racecourse remains a safe, competitive venue for our participants and fans.

37 minutes ago, curious said:

Darrin Balcombe said this about it last October:

Te Aroha Racecourse
We recently completed the final phase of the 'Return to Racing' Policy for Te Aroha Racecourse, concluding in successful trials held on the surface on 12 October. This sets the stage for a return to racing on 1 November. Bart Cowan, our Regional Track Advisor, played a pivotal role in ensuring the track has reached the required safety standards. We're now focusing on implementing long-term plans to maintain and continue to enhance the track's quality. The first twelve months after reopening will feature a lighter racing schedule to facilitate essential maintenance, ensuring Te Aroha Racecourse remains a safe, competitive venue for our participants and fans.

But what I'm told is a nearby track manager (20 mins down the road) wasn't listened to. 

Correct. The problem is you don't know who is right and who is wrong until after the fact. And what exactly are the qualifications of the Regional Track Advisors? Seems like it was simply that they were currently working in track manager roles, even though the performance of the tracks they were managing was well below par.

• Like 3

To quote one of NZ's best trainers "You couldn't make this up".

Meeting News

Hawke's Bay RI Races 5-8 Abandoned

Races 5 - 8 at Hastings today have been abandoned due to the state of the track.

NZTR will look to find a suitable replacement date for the Gr2 Lowland Stakes and the 3yo SW+P 1300m races lost as a result of the abandonment.

7 minutes ago, curious said:

To quote one of NZ's best trainers "You couldn't make this up".

Meeting News

Hawke's Bay RI Races 5-8 Abandoned

Races 5 - 8 at Hastings today have been abandoned due to the state of the track.

NZTR will look to find a suitable replacement date for the Gr2 Lowland Stakes and the 3yo SW+P 1300m races lost as a result of the abandonment.

We are starting to look like a third world country for the state of our tracks.

Aren't the chickens really beginning to come home to roost with what these idiots have done closing venues over the past number of years.

Many said it would happen and its certainly becoming the case. NZracing still a s**tshow of extraordinary proportions. 

But don't look there , look over here someone is paying 700k for a slot in race. 

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

It's not the fact that races were put off, per se,  that pisses me - and others - off.   Modern H & S laws require the safety of personnel to be an absolute priority in the workplace, so blaming jockeys, as some do, and/or stipes and RIB on the day, is unfair and shows no knowledge of appropriate practice.

But the fact is that track maintenance procedures DON'T change, we keep getting the same regurgitated rubbish for the same result.

I find it astounding.   And Ellerslie, by choosing a method that is not the normal process by a world-renowned company, Strathayr,  just buys into the same b/s.   Why would anyone's - or any organisation's -  ego be so huge that they thought they could bypass the experts?   And on what basis?   The excellence of our track management?

Ffs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Freda said:

It's not the fact that races were put off, per se,  that pisses me - and others - off.   Modern H & S laws require the safety of personnel to be an absolute priority in the workplace, so blaming jockeys, as some do, and/or stipes and RIB on the day, is unfair and shows no knowledge of appropriate practice.

But the fact is that track maintenance procedures DON'T change, we keep getting the same regurgitated rubbish for the same result.

I find it astounding.   And Ellerslie, by choosing a method that is not the normal process by a world-renowned company, Strathayr,  just buys into the same b/s.   Why would anyone's - or any organisation's -  ego be so huge that they thought they could bypass the experts?   And on what basis?   The excellence of our track management?

Ffs.

Exactly and add to that their "absolutely no" attitude towards utilising any other venues for the betterment of the industry , because they want some power trip over venues they believe should be sold,  it makes them look like the utter fools they are.

I've never known an industry to be so pig ignorant over such simple matters like utilising tracks better (tracks that they have let rot  since they have taken racing etc away from them) , we read a laughable venue plan that plans to dispose of venues over the preceding years. It's hard to get your head around it but someone is getting paid to come up with this garbage, they think it'll magically fix itself.

Can't wait for the next instalment of the COO email series on track abandonments, its getting really exciting!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

What was the reason for the abandonment?

Following a shower of rain which occurred after the running of Race 4, a delegation of Riders approached Stewards
regarding a potential safety concern with moisture on what they considered to be a firm racing surface. A track
inspection was undertaken involving Jockeys, Stewards and the Track Manager. Following this inspection a meeting
was convened involving Stewards, Jockeys and Club representatives. Whilst this meeting was in progress further
heavy rain
commenced to fall, with the remainder of the meeting being abandoned due to safety concerns.

Edited by curious

8 minutes ago, curious said:

Following a shower of rain which occurred after the running of Race 4, a delegation of Riders approached Stewards
regarding a potential safety concern with moisture on what they considered to be a firm racing surface.

A "potential problem"?  So no horse had slipped?  I realise it's chicken and egg.

Why aren't trainers involved in these discussions as representatives of their horses and their owners?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

A "potential problem"?  So no horse had slipped?  I realise it's chicken and egg.

Why aren't trainers involved in these discussions as representatives of their horses and their owners?

I don't know really. They used to be. Certainly in the track inspections. Freda will know what is usual.