Bit Of A Yarn

Just saying........

I have considerable respect for John Dunn and the Dunn family. I admire what they achieve month after month, year after year.......but that does not stop me from asking what I consider reasonable questions.

John's drive on Dashing Major in Race 6 @ Addington tonight.

I will declare my hand prior to asking questions. Whenever I see a stable with multiple runners in the same race, my eyes are always open to the possibility of one stable runner "assisting" another stable runner in some small way, or perhaps in not so small a way.  It makes no difference who the stable is or what the family name is.

Diamond Stables had three runners in Race six. Will focus on two. Heisenberg who enjoys a good scrap in a fast run race. Dashing Major who is down on the top form he's shown previously.

The Falcon is in very good form and has been hard to beat once he finds the lead. Tonight he found the lead. It didn't seem likely he'd hand up. Sitting right on his back is Heisenberg. John Dunn has a play for the top with out of form Dashing Major despite it being unlikely Gerald won hand up. John not only had a crack for the lead but kept the pressure on for a lot longer than many would deem reasonable under the circumstances. Meanwhile, Blair sat behind The Falcon smoking the pipe which would be a fact JD had full knowledge of. 

Blind Freddy could see Dashing Major was a million to one and drifting prior to the business end. He ran last.

First question could / should be asked. Was Dashing Major driven to obtain the best possible finishing position? 

The Falcon ran out of fuel late in the race. Dashing Major's stablemate Heisenberg got up and won. Second question. Did the driving tactics of John Dunn not only cost The Falcon victory but in doing so assist Heisenberg in achieving that victory?

Whatever the case may be, from this form analyst, it wasn't a great look. 

Edited by Walt
  • Champ Post 1

There's no doubt that taking on the leader was of great benefit to Heisenberg. the leader being 'The Falcon' who still had it's chance with only a 56.7 last half (for Fast Class that's not too hard.)

John Dunn had a look for the lead from the 2300 to the 1900m points of the 2600m contest.

I see nothing wrong with trying for that Walt .  A 400m burn does em' good lol. 😂. no point gifting it to The Falcon lol .  toughen him up a bit ? John's horse only a battler from the bush anyway. 😆

1 hour ago, Walt said:

I have considerable respect for John Dunn and the Dunn family. I admire what they achieve month after month, year after year.......but that does not stop me from asking what I consider reasonable questions.

John's drive on Dashing Major in Race 6 @ Addington tonight.

I will declare my hand prior to asking questions. Whenever I see a stable with multiple runners in the same race, my eyes are always open to the possibility of one stable runner "assisting" another stable runner in some small way, or perhaps in not so small a way.  It makes no difference who the stable is or what the family name is.

Diamond Stables had three runners in Race six. Will focus on two. Heisenberg who enjoys a good scrap in a fast run race. Dashing Major who is down on the top form he's shown previously.

The Falcon is in very good form and has been hard to beat once he finds the lead. Tonight he found the lead. It didn't seem likely he'd hand up. Sitting right on his back is Heisenberg. John Dunn has a play for the top with out of form Dashing Major despite it being unlikely Gerald won hand up. John not only had a crack for the lead but kept the pressure on for a lot longer than many would deem reasonable under the circumstances. Meanwhile, Blair sat behind The Falcon smoking the pipe which would be a fact JD had full knowledge of. 

Blind Freddy could see Dashing Major was a million to one and drifting prior to the business end. He ran last.

First question could / should be asked. Was Dashing Major driven to obtain the best possible finishing position? 

The Falcon ran out of fuel late in the race. Dashing Major's stablemate Heisenberg got up and won. Second question. Did the driving tactics of John Dunn not only cost The Falcon victory but in doing so assist Heisenberg in achieving that victory?

Whatever the case may be, from this form analyst, it wasn't a great look. 

Its a tricky one,as john dunn doesn't normally overdo it like that .It made for an entertaining race and thats how it goes sometimes.

I would say,in my opinion i thought the g o'reilly drive was the poorer of the two. Maybe mr o'reilly has seen the dunn stable take a horse to the front,then wait for a stablemate to take the lead off it,so maybe he thought your not doing that to me.

But i say o'reillys was the poorer of the two drives because The Falcon has supposedly had a few recent issues going by what the trainer said when it won  earlier in the month. Yet,just when you would think the horse is getting his confidence back,hes driven to have a real gut buster when he could have taken the trail and got a soft run. After all ,he came from off the pace when he won,so wouldn't you think he would be driven that way again?

Personally i just think it was one of those races where two drivers intially thought they were doing the right thing,but both underestimated each others stubbornness,and both horses, especially The falcon,had much harder runs than they should have. They still did run there last 400m in 27.0 seconds,so maybe they will both go ok next time. Time will tell.

Edited by the galah

7 hours ago, Gammalite said:

There's no doubt that taking on the leader was of great benefit to Heisenberg. the leader being 'The Falcon' who still had it's chance with only a 56.7 last half (for Fast Class that's not too hard.)

John Dunn had a look for the lead from the 2300 to the 1900m points of the 2600m contest.

I see nothing wrong with trying for that Walt .  A 400m burn does em' good lol. 😂. no point gifting it to The Falcon lol .  toughen him up a bit ? John's horse only a battler from the bush anyway. 😆

I respect your take Gammalite. 

I don't believe there was anything dodgy only that given the circumstances, a question should have been asked. I stand by that. 

7 hours ago, Nowornever said:

Well played John Dunn. Well played.

Indeed but given he ran motherless and the main benefactor of his drive was the stablemate it wasn't a great look.....unless you backed Heisenberg.

7 hours ago, the galah said:

Its a tricky one,as john dunn doesn't normally overdo it like that .It made for an entertaining race and thats how it goes sometimes.

I would say,in my opinion i thought the g o'reilly drive was the poorer of the two. Maybe mr o'reilly has seen the dunn stable take a horse to the front,then wait for a stablemate to take the lead off it,so maybe he thought your not doing that to me.

But i say o'reillys was the poorer of the two drives because The Falcon has supposedly had a few recent issues going by what the trainer said when it won  earlier in the month. Yet,just when you would think the horse is getting his confidence back,hes driven to have a real gut buster when he could have taken the trail and got a soft run. After all ,he came from off the pace when he won,so wouldn't you think he would be driven that way again?

Personally i just think it was one of those races where two drivers intially thought they were doing the right thing,but both underestimated each others stubbornness,and both horses, especially The falcon,had much harder runs than they should have. They still did run there last 400m in 27.0 seconds,so maybe they will both go ok next time. Time will tell.

Interesting Galah and perhaps correct but a good discussion 

It's called a "race" so that's what they should do. It does my head in when all the drivers sit back and let the leader run soft sectionals and then leave them standing in the home straight. I'd much rather see what John Dun did last night than that. The reason I ask the questions of this drive was due to him then running last which was predictable and the stablemate getting up. The Stewards saw fit not to ask the question so it would seem my perspective that a question should have been asked was not shared.

Both Heisenberg and Dashing Major began quickly. I feel the plan was if that occurred to lead trail. Unfortunately for JD, The Falcon began better and took the front leaving him posted. Three choices were have a dig for the top, sit parked quietly or drag his arse back to last. It made sense to try for the top. I felt that attempt went on for just a bit too long.

I don't blame Gerald at all. He got the front fair and square and has raced very well from there previously. Handing up loses control of the race. Had Gerald handed up, JD would have been looking for a breather. Another lead change was then on the cards. The Falcon could have gone from the premium spot to three back. The new leader then walks and he's farked. 

Interesting to share different takes of the same thing. 

https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/infohorsews/wsd06x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=RaceVideo&Arg=hrnzg-RacehdrID&Arg=0F8314C3-AB6B-410C-B906-BFD2CCD119FC&Arg=hrnzg-rSite&Arg=TRUE

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walt said:

Interesting Galah and perhaps correct but a good discussion 

It's called a "race" so that's what they should do. It does my head in when all the drivers sit back and let the leader run soft sectionals and then leave them standing in the home straight. I'd much rather see what John Dun did last night than that. The reason I ask the questions of this drive was due to him then running last which was predictable and the stablemate getting up. The Stewards saw fit not to ask the question so it would seem my perspective that a question should have been asked was not shared.

Both Heisenberg and Dashing Major began quickly. I feel the plan was if that occurred to lead trail. Unfortunately for JD, The Falcon began better and took the front leaving him posted. Three choices were have a dig for the top, sit parked quietly or drag his arse back to last. It made sense to try for the top. I felt that attempt went on for just a bit too long.

I don't blame Gerald at all. He got the front fair and square and has raced very well from there previously. Handing up loses control of the race. Had Gerald handed up, JD would have been looking for a breather. Another lead change was then on the cards. The Falcon could have gone from the premium spot to three back. The new leader then walks and he's farked. 

Interesting to share different takes of the same thing. 

https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/infohorsews/wsd06x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=RaceVideo&Arg=hrnzg-RacehdrID&Arg=0F8314C3-AB6B-410C-B906-BFD2CCD119FC&Arg=hrnzg-rSite&Arg=TRUE

I think if  gerard o'reilly was intent on leading then he should just have let dunn go to the front then come out of the trail before orange did,and take the lead back.Just driving at a consistent pace throughout that manoeuvre. But of course thats easy for me to say after the fact,but it still was a good option at the time.

I agree its interesting to share different takes on tactics used.

Edited by the galah