Bit Of A Yarn

Overwatering tracks...what Gai's squeeze said when asked about Rosehill Saturday

My pet hate raises its ugly head across the Tasman. There was some fierce debate about the state of Rosehill last Saturday and I guess 80/20 rule, majority don't care but the minority who really matter as outlined in that article will continue to become disenchanted. Bottom line is if owners/trainers and particularly the regular punter who is a lot more adventurous with their size of bet loses confidence they will look elsewhere to be entertained.  

31 minutes ago, Wingman said:

My pet hate raises its ugly head across the Tasman. There was some fierce debate about the state of Rosehill last Saturday and I guess 80/20 rule, majority don't care but the minority who really matter as outlined in that article will continue to become disenchanted. Bottom line is if owners/trainers and particularly the regular punter who is a lot more adventurous with their size of bet loses confidence they will look elsewhere to be entertained.  

The two Sydney tracks have issues unrelated to overwatering.

Flemington in contrast will even irrigate on race morning and produce a decent track.  Ditto Moonee Valley.

Learn from the best. What do Melbourne do so well and why can we not apply it do our tracks. Whoops just remembered, maintenance however with Awapuni and Trentham being rebuilt there is hope for the future. Ellerslie should also look at HK/Sha Tin maintenance . Nothing lasts forever but regular maintenance surely must be part of the future planning?

14 minutes ago, Wingman said:

Learn from the best. What do Melbourne do so well and why can we not apply it do our tracks. Whoops just remembered, maintenance however with Awapuni and Trentham being rebuilt there is hope for the future. Ellerslie should also look at HK/Sha Tin maintenance . Nothing lasts forever but regular maintenance surely must be part of the future planning?

Ellerslie CAN'T look at HK because they've built their StrathAyr DIFFERENT!

How many STRATHAYR tracks have 300mm of sand in the top layer.

I notice Kelvin Tyler complaining about Riccarton for the opposite reason. Hard to please everyone.

Tyler hopes also to campaign talented galloper Lightning Jack over the autumn, however, indicated the Group One-performing seven-year-old has taken significant time to recover from Cup Week in November.

“We decided to run Prince Alby yesterday instead of running over 1800m at Riccarton (this Saturday). The way the track has been up there is like concrete, Lightning Jack has taken almost six months to get over running there in the Coupland’s Mile (Gr.3, 1600m),” he said.

“I love my horses, and it’s a long way for us to travel, and not cheap.” 

• Like 1