Bit Of A Yarn

Shillelagh

Guest CrossCodes

Guest CrossCodes

Good to see this talented mate win a decent race today, always unlucky with her racing style but James Mc Donald picked a perfect path today to ensure her broodmare value.

Didn't bet on the race but loved the result anyway.  Not to mention J-Mac's comments - kiwi owners, kiwi trainer and kiwi jockey.  It doesn't get much better than that (apologies if I have misquoted you James - it's just as I recall the post-race comments ...)

• Like 1

Yes, fantastic win...coulda won a few more big ones with an ounce of luck... I recall her winning a few here before going over to Waller but cant remember who had her here...CD trainer? Sharrock? think she ran in an Easter and was close...why don't I just look it up?OK I will.

Yes you do that weasel. Thx even my delicate fingers seem fat on this phone)

I think you are right about the CD but but I can't recall either. I know the (half?) brother  Sligo is trained in the CD- at Awapuni I think. Big money has been turned down for him. The right decision? Time will tell. But as the owners don't need the dosh - why cash him in if they believe in the horse I guess. 

Hmmm..no info on NZ trainer ...but she won first 3 starts in NZ, then 2nd at New Year meeting Ellerslie 2016, won again at Ruakaka later in 2016 before being sent to Oz. Older brother Tullamore won a Brisbane Cup and ran 3rd behind Southern Speed, Green Moon in 2011 Caulfiild Cup.

5 minutes ago, jess said:

Yes you do that weasel. Thx even my delicate fingers seem fat on this phone)

I think you are right about the CD but but I can't recall either. I know the (half?) brother  Sligo is trained in the CD- at Awapuni I think. Big money has been turned down for him. The right decision? Time will tell. But as the owners don't need the dosh - why cash him in if they believe in the horse I guess. 

Sligo is by Pins 9 starts still a maiden but 2nd at first 4 starts and never further back than 5th

Shillelagh Won her first 3 starts at Woodville 16.04.15 1200m;Wanganui 28.11.2015 1200m;Awapuni 12.12.2015 1400m .

Racing from Te Akau Stables,first  Trainer Jason Bridgman,then Autridge/Richards.

Tasted defeat first time when 2nd Ellerslie 01.01.2016 1600m beaten by Pike runner Nomisma.

Spelled,then unplaced fresh up at New Plymouth,followed by Win at Ruakaka 18.06.2016.

Crossed Tasman,campaigned in Melbourne with Autridge/Richards,winning 2nd up at Caulfield 01.10.2016 1440m.

Had First Win from Waller Stable at  Hawkesbury 29.04.2017 1300m,for Race  Stake $190k,and doubled career earnings. 

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

21 hours ago, CrossCodes said:

Good to see this talented mate win a decent race today, always unlucky with her racing style but James Mc Donald picked a perfect path today to ensure her broodmare value.

How quickly people forget Shillelagh's deeds of Derby Day 2017 when she won the G1 Cantala Stakes, which was year run this year as The Kennedy Mile.

The race was formerly known as the Emirates Mile and run on the last Saturday of Melbourne Cup week.  2017 was the first time it was run on Derby Day because VRC switched it with the McKinnon Stakes.

4 minutes ago, Brando said:

How quickly people forget Shillelagh's deeds of Derby Day 2017 when she won the G1 Cantala Stakes, which was year run this year as The Kennedy Mile.

The race was formerly known as the Emirates Mile and run on the last Saturday of Melbourne Cup week.  2017 was the first time it was run on Derby Day because VRC switched it with the McKinnon Stakes.

thanks for that ...she clearly benefits from big tracks with big straights and lots of room to find a passage from the back and J Mac rode her a treat. 

Guest CrossCodes

Amazing what difference a week makes.

A pearler ride last week when the gaps opened up, James slaughtered her this week nearly lucky to stay on her feet halfway down.

A very negative ride in a 2 million dollar race, it was an absolute shocker of a ride.

4 minutes ago, CrossCodes said:

Amazing what difference a week makes.

A pearler ride last week when the gaps opened up, James slaughtered her this week nearly lucky to stay on her feet halfway down.

A very negative ride in a 2 million dollar race, it was an absolute shocker of a ride.

Thats how they ride her, thats why best not to bet on her

• 6 months later...
Guest CrossCodes

Another unlucky run from her today, I feel they need a much more aggressive rider on her, McDonald just keeps riding her for luck and she had none again today.