Jump to content
Bit Of A Yarn

I'm sure someone will know.


Recommended Posts

I find some of the intricacies of racing rules etc quite fascinating. This one has always interested me.

In the SI when there are heaps of noms at a feature meeting, which often happens as the programming is so bad, and they magnanimously decide to split a race into two the second race usually runs for a reduced stake. For instance Riverton last Saturday where one rating 65 1,600m raced for $40,000 and the other for $25,000.

In the NI both of the split races seem to race for the same original higher stake. For instance this weekend at Pukekohe where both 65 1,600m races run for $55,000. Would the club be putting in the extra $30,000 so the second race isn't run for the usual $25,000?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because it is an even split , still a rating 65 horse in both divisions.

The smaller stake races are when their are a higher rated field and the second division might start at rating 61 for example. 

Also of note in these races, where a horse/s are scratched from the top division the balloted horse/s who would be in the bottom division have to start in the higher rated race or scratch from both.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bid said:

Because it is an even split , still a rating 65 horse in both divisions.

The smaller stake races are when their are a higher rated field and the second division might start at rating 61 for example. 

Also of note in these races, where a horse/s are scratched from the top division the balloted horse/s who would be in the bottom division have to start in the higher rated race or scratch from both.

 

I don't follow that logic at all. The Riverton race could easily have been split into two even fields, both at $40,000. Likewise the Puke race could have been split into a higher and lower division. The lower division would have started at rating 62 and been run for $25,000.

My point is that someone decides to either split them into two even fields with the same stake, or split them into two races based on ratings with different stakes. I am fully aware that when they run with two different stakes the lower staked race has a lower rated top weight.

I was asking how they decide which approach to take. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it is in consultation with the club.  With short notice maybe some clubs can't find extra stake money.  Could we reach out to someone at the Riverton club and ask them the questions; were they consulted, was putting two equally rated races on an option, if extra stake money was required did the club have to provide it?

It seems a shame all horses couldn't race for the better stakes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always find it a shame that no one from NZTR ever comes on here and interacts with people to clarify some of the simpler questions. I'm sure there is a really simple answer to this query that someone could answer in a sentence or two. And it may make total sense.

There seems to be a total unwillingness to interact with real racing enthusiasts. It creates a them and us syndrome.

  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just spoke to a club secretary. 

He said that in his experience it was an NZTR decision,  they would indicate a 'main' race at the advertised stake and a 'consolation ' with a reduced stake.

Said he had never been party to any discussion about making up the difference from any club he had been involved with, or being required to choose which option. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Freda said:

Just spoke to a club secretary. 

He said that in his experience it was an NZTR decision,  they would indicate a 'main' race at the advertised stake and a 'consolation ' with a reduced stake.

Said he had never been party to any discussion about making up the difference from any club he had been involved with, or being required to choose which option. 

The racing policy says:

When a race is divided in consolation format, the stake will be determined by NZTR and the relevant Club.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, curious said:

The racing policy says:

When a race is divided in consolation format, the stake will be determined by NZTR and the relevant Club.

That does tend to indicate a consolation format rather than divided equally. So there is still no indication why some are consolation and some are equal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It also indicates the club is involved in the decision which does not seem to be the case.

So when does 15.1 of the regulations apply in order for the club to have some input.

The terms and conditions of these races, including the stakes and grading of these races, are indicative only. The Racing Programme Guide is the official guide as to the terms and conditions of a race, including the stakes and grading. All races are subject to the Standard Regulations for Race Meeting Regulations, as set out in the Racing Programme Guide, which includes the right for NZTR or the Club under regulations 15.1 at any time to alter the terms and conditions of any race, including the stakes and/or its grading.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...