Bit Of A Yarn

Who needs the whip when you've got Blinkers on first time!

41 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Kansas State University College of Veterinary medicine 

Results showed that the nasal strip did improve the airway, leading to reduced lung damage.

"The nasal strip reduces bleeding, reduces the secondary infections that can damage the lung afterward and also may help facilitate the horse to perform better," Poole said.

The researchers say the nasal strip may improve performance because it reduces fatigue.

Wrong answer to wrong question.  Regardless where is the cite and the 10%?

43 minutes ago, Thomass said:

The researchers say the nasal strip may improve performance because it reduces fatigue.

Yes. I know that. It's what I said. The chief seems to have nasal strips muddled up with blinkers. They are a bit different though his current TA horse doesn't wear either. My question though was where are the "studies that show @ 10% improvement on average"? Thanks.

31 minutes ago, curious said:

Yes. I know that. It's what I said. The chief seems to have nasal strips muddled up with blinkers. They are a bit different though his current TA horse doesn't wear either. My question though was where are the "studies that show @ 10% improvement on average"? Thanks.

So what % improvement do blinkers offer?  Asking on behalf of horse 2.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Or scared shitless because it couldn't see what was running up behind it.

No thats on a treadmill being tortured with a jigger  .  .  

"blinkers on . . JIGGER  .  .  .blinkers off  .  .  blinkers on  .  .  poly it!!!" 

12 hours ago, curious said:

On average, zilch.

Average on an average horse probably  .  .  

So Wodger James, Te Akau, Jelly Williams  .  .  are all wrong when quoted on trackside over the last few months

"blinkers made a big difference"

13 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

So what % improvement do blinkers offer?  Asking on behalf of horse 2.

It's an exceedingly stupid question  .  .  

BUT you're not a horseman's ass  .  .  are you?

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, curious said:

oh yes definitely muddled  .  .  

Knew I'd seen it somewhere!!  The Flair website of course  .  .  maybe a bias  .  .  but the developer was a Vet and you know how straight they are  .  . @7% more accurate?

So on an investment I've Id'd as 10 units  .  .  I'm trusting Jelly Williams training ability if he thinks certain new gear will improve an already in form horse  .  .  as identified by moi  .  .  new bet 11 units!

The spring-like action in FLAIR Strips supports the soft tissues over the nasal passages (the narrowest part of the upper airway) to reduce the tissue collapse that occurs in all horses during exercise, making it easier to breathe in oxygen.

icon-nowords-reducefatigue.jpg

Reduce Fatigue
By reducing resistance to airflow to make breathing easier, horses don’t tire as easily so they can work longer and harder.

icon-nowords-conserveenergy.jpg

Conserve Energy
Horses wearing FLAIR Strips have been shown to exert 5-6% less energy during intensive exercise.

icon-nowords-recoverfaster.jpg

Recover Faster
When horses’ nasal passages are supported during the cool-down phase of recovery, they are able to move air more easily to cool down and recover quicker.

icon-nowords-recoverfaster.jpg

Reduce Exercise Induced Pulmonary Hemorrhage (EIPH)
FLAIR Strips reduce resistance to breathing, which puts less stress on the fragile pulmonary blood vessels in the lungs, resulting in fewer ruptured pulmonary blood vessels.

Edited by Thomass

Don't know where you got the 7% from. Says 5-6% reduction in energy expenditure from what I've seen. Still not evidence of any improvement in performance. Think I was the first SI trainer to win a race with one 25 years ago. So, I'm a fan. Cheap and can do no harm.

29 minutes ago, curious said:

Don't know where you got the 7% from. Says 5-6% reduction in energy expenditure from what I've seen. Still not evidence of any improvement in performance. Think I was the first SI trainer to win a race with one 25 years ago. So, I'm a fan. Cheap and can do no harm.

Good on you. 

So you're a horseman who thought the strips either looked flash??

Or as Jelly Williams thinks wrt Blinkers - "performance improvement after I assessed my horse's needs"

Seriously though it's as basic as ipso facto gets isn't it?

6% less energy expenditure = better performance when the whips are cracking.

As long as they haven't travelled 3 wide open 'in transit'!!

15 hours ago, Thomass said:

MAY help.

15 hours ago, Thomass said:

may help facilitate the horse to perform better," Poole said.

MAY help.  

Not exactly conclusive but then these subtleties have always escaped you.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

MAY help.

MAY help.  

Not exactly conclusive but then these subtleties have always escaped you.

I think the proof is undeniable Chief. The leading stable of Allstars were regularly using them for years in the harness world  , and winning for many years accordingly . so the main rival stable ,The DUNN team,  started planting them on the horses nose to keep up. followed by Telfers , then Dalgety's it seems are joining in the 'open nasel' rush  

all the South Island Big Players. 

They even put them on the baby 2 year old Fillies last Sunday in a Group 3. Here's Carter taking the Win in Photo on 'Forever Dream'.

seems un-necessary to me on the youngsters,  but the result was the 4 horses with them on >> ran the FIRST 4 in the Race. so are starting to become more available and necessary alas.🙄436367535_973958341198847_2869426271853571879_n.thumb.jpg.8d0bbde5b0b1f8e7bed80b9bb39a6c39.jpg

Edited by Gammalite
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

I think the proof is undeniable Chief. The leading stable of Allstars were regularly using them for years in the harness world  , and winning for many years accordingly . so the main rival stable started planting them on the horses nose to keep up. then Telfers , then Dalgety's it seemsfullstop 

Just because a top stable uses them doesn't mean it is proof.  I've learnt over the years that a lot of what Trainers do is based on superstition rather than any conclusive proof/evidence. 

When I was a young 8 year old I got to see the fastest horse in the country in his home stable in Hinds.  The horse being Wag.  We had a horse stabled there as well on its way to a number of meetings in the canterbury area.  Its next race was to be at Ashburton and I was given a snip of Wag's tail for good luck.  We tied a few strands to our horses harness.  The horse duly won and the Trainer and my father had an enormous collect off the tote.  The story was written up in the Ashburton Times.

From that time on every now and then in a little envelope with an old fashioned stamp on it we received a little piece of Wag's tail.  It worked a few times.  

Bit like blinkers - they work once and then a Trainer keeps with them until the form drops off and then they try without them and often the horse wins agains.  In my opinion it is to do with how the horse is trained and how it feels rather than any head gear it wears.  In my opinion the more a horse can see, if it is a true competitor, the better.  

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Just because a top stable uses them doesn't mean it is proof.  I've learnt over the years that a lot of what Trainers do is based on superstition rather than any conclusive proof/evidence.

well I say results are proof . The art of preparing a race-horse to win involves several factors.

Anything you can do to win the psychological battle with the equine will carry you a long way to gaining victory in a race. No horse wins anywhere, without human intervention. 

there is a science to it . starting with bloodlines (helps a little) , then Nutrition , then breaking in/ handling , followed by shoeing, fitness measures (like swimming, track gallops ) then aids are applied (like the blinkers, deafeners, nasal strips and all sorts of things that help with a horses focus/ energy exertion at different points of the race-day  ) for calmness initially and then Full-On full throttle in the home straight lol 😆.

Of course Some Trainers and Jockeys are better than others at applying all this criteria . when to apply blinkers, when to use the whip , when to apply nasal strips and get the results accordingly. Having Millionaire Owners also helps 👍. for obvious reasons.

Race conditions help spread the 'Win chance' via weights and barrier draws and handicaps too, and getting a jock able to 'gel with the horse' is critical to your chances too.  

nothing wrong with a bit of superstition though 😁 . But that's all in the LUCK element of it all.  As indeed,  you still need 'Luck in the Running' after all , if you are going to come out the Victor at the Line.  Captured by Love in her last 2 runs and example of that. 

11 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

When I was a young 8 year old I got to see the fastest horse in the country in his home stable in Hinds.  The horse being Wag.  We had a horse stabled there as well on its way to a number of meetings in the canterbury area.  Its next race was to be at Ashburton and I was given a snip of Wag's tail for good luck.  We tied a few strands to our horses harness.  The horse duly won and the Trainer and my father had an enormous collect off the tote.  The story was written up in the Ashburton Times.

From that time on every now and then in a little envelope with an old fashioned stamp on it we received a little piece of Wag's tail.  It worked a few times.  

Bit like blinkers - they work once and then a Trainer keeps with them until the form drops off and then they try without them and often the horse wins agains.  In my opinion it is to do with how the horse is trained and how it feels rather than any head gear it wears.  In my opinion the more a horse can see, if it is a true competitor, the better.  

Wow Chief , you infiltrating the Gallops chat with Harness !

And you knew WE [ Ted] Lowe my very favourite harness trainer at what was considered a halcyon time in NZ harness where there was a very strong and competitive intermediate grade just below or on the verge of Cup class.

Of course Ted  was associated with  NZ Cup winner Cairnbrae who was trained to win that by CSDonald. 4 x years later Ted won it with Humphrey [ 1968].  Wag came soon after and often raced with its brother Pun and sometimes a 3rd in Atanui !

Ted had a hardy breed and a number of his winning horses come to mind.

Like Corwar ,Mitcham, Stavely, Dundas, Allenton, Wing Commander ,Sioux , Lyndhurst .

Lyndhurst a pretty handy 3 yr old and won from 36yds and 48 yards over 2200m at Alexandra Park.Thats Cardigan Bay and Lordship territory !

WE Lowe fullstop.a legend in harness , my favourite fullstop.I can see why you and I get on so well !

9 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

And you knew WE [ Ted] Lowe my very favourite harness trainer at what was considered a halcyon time in NZ harness where there was a very strong and competitive intermediate grade just below or on the verge of Cup class.

Was fortunate enough to stay at Ted's home in Hinds as a youngster.  Saw all the pictures and trophies that he had won.  Probably the most successful amateur trainer ever in the sport. 

I remember seeing the Hokitika Cup in the trophy room.  Hokitika being my home town.  Would love to know the history of that Cup.

I was allowed to stay up late and listen to all the stories while a lot of whiskey was drunk.

Ted could tell a good yarn especially of his win drives.

I recall him being a kind happy man.  He gave Brian and George Hill the mare Single Girl who produced a number of good horses including Single Lord and McShane.

I was very fortunate to meet a lot of the top racing people from that era and their horses!

• Like 2