Bit Of A Yarn

2024 Grand national at Aintree

Overnight the 2024 Grand National is on and all the spectacular action in front of 60,000 with some amazing racing was on.

the racecard of some of the greatest stayers on the planet jumping over things while at a fast gallop.

There's nothing as spectacular as horses in racing silks put to the ultimate test over these uk course 's

The recording on my TV is on , and is amazing .done 4 races already. these horses are just Super . and so brave.

Here's the score up for the next . they just all walk up like a harness race,  and then a flag drops and awaaaay they go. 

Takes 2 commentators to get through the race-call too . and they are simply Brilliant . some good Irish twang at times too !!

DSC03195.JPG

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

Wow . that was something else. 🏇🏇

Do yourself a favour and grab a replay of the 2024 Grand National at Aintree Liverpool . 

Won't put the Winner here so not to spoil . One of the wonder spectacles of the World in Racing. 

• Like 1

Was a fantastic race Gammalite.

Great to see such an epic event being enjoyed and appreciated by so many. 

Without wanting to be wise after the event, I've followed the winner for a while now and thought he was a royal chance of winning. The way he finished the race off was impressive. 

What a shame jumping in NZ has been heading in the wrong direction for some time and with no will in place to turn that around. 

• Like 3

Many moons ago when I was working in the UK my wife and I made the pilgrimage up to Liverpool to see the Grand National. Long day but so glad we did it. Huge amount of people.

A kiwi bred horse won a minor race on the day and I collected a bit of that.

Good memories.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Pete Lane said:

The greatest regret for me is that I'll never see another Great Northern at Ellerslie. So many memories. I even had the privilege to walk the course

What an amazing race it is . Look at these bad boys go at Ellerslie !! . you can almost hear the Yeehaa as they soar through the air from the fearless jockeys and jockettes . Hey to 'Walk the Course' must of been a thrill too. so prestigious. love to ov done that 

gettyimages-56074406-612x612.jpg.f9d188dbbd495f65851f9ec8581a8552.jpg

• Like 2

Unfortunately it's now was not is. 

Sadly missed.

Best memories for me:

Kenny Browne somehow coaxing Ardri around in pouring rain.

The deadheat between Smart Hunter and Sir Avion.

The Hunterville treble - what a horse.

Keith Haub absolutely nailed the commentaries too.

Edited by Pete Lane
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 4

On 4/14/2024 at 6:26 PM, Pete Lane said:

Unfortunately it's now was not is. 

Sadly missed.

Best memories for me:

Kenny Browne somehow coaxing Ardri around in pouring rain.

The deadheat between Smart Hunter and Sir Avion.

The Hunterville treble - what a horse.

Keith Haub absolutely nailed the commentaries too.

I remember Ascona winning the great race twice for Kenny. Ardri looking no hope for most of the race with Kenny hard at work only to then grind / plod past them all. Brother Bart and Lord Tennyson who both looked good things as did Sydney Jones with his double. Golden Flare with Clayton Chipperfield winning his double in the early 2000's. Was there to see them all including the great ones you quoted Pete and a host more.

Without a doubt this was the winter racing highlight for me so I'm incredulous at it being gone. 

It's exactly as if history is worthless and meaningless to some. Thought the same when they dug up the mighty Cardigan Bay after he put NZ on the map in the eyes of many. A carpark was more important than him and his legacy. 

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Walt said:

I remember Ascona winning the great race twice for Kenny.

I've never been in awe of someone in racing as much as Ken Browne of NZ .

Riding over the sticks for over 40 years . incredible man and trainer (along with wife Ann helping with the training) 

Ascona was the very First Great Northern Steeplechase win for Ken too . way back in 1977. I would go to the races once a year about then, with dear old dad, and always wanted to go Great Northern Steeples day as a kid. What a Spectacle !  just a an amazing moments in time. 

the champ Ken quite tall for a rider too. Here he is on Crown Star. (went on to win 2 NZ  Grand Nationals at Riccarton) look at this style ! fantastico.

40056-dom.jpg.dd54806afdd044fe4a95e5888ac46e65.jpg

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

I've never been in awe of someone in racing as much as Ken Browne of NZ .

Riding over the sticks for over 40 years . incredible man and trainer (along with wife Ann helping with the training) 

Ascona was the very First Great Northern Steeplechase win for Ken too . way back in 1977. I would go to the races once a year about then, with dear old dad, and always wanted to go Great Northern Steeples day as a kid. What a Spectacle !  just a an amazing moments in time. 

the champ Ken quite tall for a rider too. Here he is on Crown Star. (went on to win 2 NZ  Grand Nationals at Riccarton) look at this style ! fantastico.

40056-dom.jpg.dd54806afdd044fe4a95e5888ac46e65.jpg

Crown Star was one of the best jumpers I've seen in the way he took his fences. Beautiful, clean jumper who would gain ground at every obstacle.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

On 4/14/2024 at 2:42 PM, Walt said:

What a shame jumping in NZ has been heading in the wrong direction for some time and with no will in place to turn that around. 

So sad alright, I am hearing rumours that this could be our last season. 

The rider shortage being the big issue and unlikely to change any time soon.  I wonder why the powers that be haven't looked to the option of a scholarship type thing with some young UK/Irish/french riders, it'll give those young lads/lasses starting out some overseas experience and get them out and race riding in the off season over there.  

We could take the the money from the 1% rehoming/retraining pool of money, jumps racing in this country has been giving horses a second chance in life for generations and will continue to do so as long as we have jump racing. 

I know I'm holding off buying a tried horse until I know what is happening, I have people who are wanting to race a share in a jumper but with a doubt of it continuing I'm reluctant to do so. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I hear you.  Sad, indeed.  

But, I've moved past the anger, and regret, to a sort of grudging acceptance.  Partly because beating one's head against the brick wall of officialdom is just so disheartening, but also because of the points you make about riders.   As well, there is the fact that many jumpers here, at least, are former flat horses, getting on a bit and well tried.  To see a former handy performer battling around making mistakes and not enjoying it is not a nice watch. 

Buying or breeding horses specifically to be jumpers just doesn't happen now.  No one does jumping like the Brits/irish/French.  I for one would rather see it not done at all, than done badly.

• Like 6
  • Champ Post 1

Yes, watched a jumping race from Victoria the other day, maiden hurdle race, hot favorite a million dollar earner having first jumping start over the sticks for Waterhouse/Bott stable, crashes at the last and breaks leg. Very sad watch, think they abandoned the latter half of races because track to firm. Jumping races for me belong in the past, but do hold a special place in history. Time to move on.

• Like 4

On 4/18/2024 at 9:43 AM, aquaman said:

Yes, watched a jumping race from Victoria the other day, maiden hurdle race, hot favorite a million dollar earner having first jumping start over the sticks for Waterhouse/Bott stable, crashes at the last and breaks leg. Very sad watch, think they abandoned the latter half of races because track to firm. Jumping races for me belong in the past, but do hold a special place in history. Time to move on.

Seeing any horse get hurt is awful Aquaman regardless if it's in a race or just in the paddock. I was at Riccarton about 40 years ago when four horses fell at a fence prior to turning for home. Three of them were a ghastly distressing sight. One hobbled up the straight on three legs in full view of everyone on-course. To have three horses put down on one jumping race is not something you forget in a hurry. 

We had a rural property North of Auckland and had 11 ex racehorses at one point. Have always been a softie for all animals, especially horses. ...even when it cost us a fortune to keep them. Had we not, their destination was grim. We'd like to save all horses from that same grim fate but that's just not practical. It's a side of our industry that has always irked me. I went to the yearling sales in the early 80's and a truckload of yearlings that didn't meet their reserve were sent straight to the slaughterhouse. I made my feelings known about that but was told it was a better outcome for those horses than risk them ending up with an "unreliable owner"....when you're dealing that that logic and justification it's not easy to make progress. A more honest answer would have been the breeder needs to get a return from these horses one way or another. It's what is expedient not what is in the horses best interest. 

Five years ago after a lifetime of being a big meat eater I came to a confronting realization. Me supporting an animal sanctuary and caring deeply for animals but being part of the processing of animals for human consumption and knowing what unfolds makes me a hypocrite to continue eating them. I did what felt right for me and started eating a vegetarian only diet. It's not a protest or an attempt to convert others. I just do what feels right and is comfortable to me. The reason I share this is to highlight that I'm not indifferent to the suffering and distress of animals, yet I strongly support jumping races. These horses are bred to race. There is no lush green paddock waiting for many horses when their racing days are over. Stopping jumps racing does not extend the life of many horses. The reality is it does the opposite. Some of my best memories on a race track involve jumping races. As I stated earlier the irony of that is that some of my worst memories on a racetrack also involve jumps races. 

I've seen so many horses meet their maker in flat races and it's always distressing but thankfully we are not rushing to shut down horse racing. 

Perhaps waiting a month until the tracks have a bit more give in them would help lessen injuries or other improvements to tracks and fences rather than shutting down jumps racing.

Remember Mr Hickey, Crown Star, Hunterville, Loch Linnhe, Our Jonty, Grey Warbler, Hadfield, Cuchulainn, Orca, Rock Crystal, Eric the Viking, Teak, Kumai, The Cossack, Koral, Sea King and thousands of others. Take away jumps racing and very few others would know about the great achievements of these horses. 

• Champ Post 4

Fact is Walt, making horses jump obstacles is far riskier than racing them on the flat, that is undeniable. Fact two, its all about perception these days, and if thoroughbreds want to keep racing into the future, then jumps racing needs to go. In todays woke world, watching horses break legs is very good ammunition for the loony left to get a foothold. It will not be long before every slow racehorse has to be guaranteed a life after racing such is happening in the dogs. The TAB or any other betting organization do not need horses these days, or dogs for that matter, they have sports nowadays, and the racing side will probably go virtual. Jumps racing will only speed up their demise. Personally I like jump racing, but people like me are becoming dinosaurs, mind you I'm proud to be that. Cheers.

• Like 3

On 4/18/2024 at 9:43 AM, aquaman said:

Teofilo Star was fine after the fall,in fact he trialled today.

The meeting that was abandoned was 2 weeks later when the track was upgraded from a soft 5.

In Victoria all jumping races must be run on Soft 5 or softer for animal welfare reasons.

The Grand national was a great race. It's a crying shame the Nz Racing big wigs have let the industry slowly die. Neglected for years ,no wonder it's a shambles now. The flat game doesn't look any better. When Entain bail after 5 years the whole industry will be a mess...........where will the big wigs be then?

On the ship on in the life rafts?

• Like 5

Here's One of the All time greats winning 50 years ago .

The same year the Commonwealth Games were in Christchurch and Dick Taylor won the 10,000 m

and Sir John Walker ran 2nd in the 1500m. (to Bayi in WR time) all about a month before RED RUM won at Aintree (for 2nd year running to be a true great)  to be a Grand National Champion..

you have to be kidding that was half a century ago . some great events of all time that still stand out after all those years.  seems like just a short time ago but time waits for no-one . Neither does Red Rum when he got going lol.  A116Rlb.png.da5e0ece376be8b4c98a68bb4765369a.png

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

17 hours ago, Walt said:

Seeing any horse get hurt is awful Aquaman regardless if it's in a race or just in the paddock. I was at Riccarton about 40 years ago when four horses fell at a fence prior to turning for home. Three of them were a ghastly distressing sight. One hobbled up the straight on three legs in full view of everyone on-course. To have three horses put down on one jumping race is not something you forget in a hurry. 

We had a rural property North of Auckland and had 11 ex racehorses at one point. Have always been a softie for all animals, especially horses. ...even when it cost us a fortune to keep them. Had we not, their destination was grim. We'd like to save all horses from that same grim fate but that's just not practical. It's a side of our industry that has always irked me. I went to the yearling sales in the early 80's and a truckload of yearlings that didn't meet their reserve were sent straight to the slaughterhouse. I made my feelings known about that but was told it was a better outcome for those horses than risk them ending up with an "unreliable owner"....when you're dealing that that logic and justification it's not easy to make progress. A more honest answer would have been the breeder needs to get a return from these horses one way or another. It's what is expedient not what is in the horses best interest. 

Five years ago after a lifetime of being a big meat eater I came to a confronting realization. Me supporting an animal sanctuary and caring deeply for animals but being part of the processing of animals for human consumption and knowing what unfolds makes me a hypocrite to continue eating them. I did what felt right for me and started eating a vegetarian only diet. It's not a protest or an attempt to convert others. I just do what feels right and is comfortable to me. The reason I share this is to highlight that I'm not indifferent to the suffering and distress of animals, yet I strongly support jumping races. These horses are bred to race. There is no lush green paddock waiting for many horses when their racing days are over. Stopping jumps racing does not extend the life of many horses. The reality is it does the opposite. Some of my best memories on a race track involve jumping races. As I stated earlier the irony of that is that some of my worst memories on a racetrack also involve jumps races. 

I've seen so many horses meet their maker in flat races and it's always distressing but thankfully we are not rushing to shut down horse racing. 

Perhaps waiting a month until the tracks have a bit more give in them would help lessen injuries or other improvements to tracks and fences rather than shutting down jumps racing.

Remember Mr Hickey, Crown Star, Hunterville, Loch Linnhe, Our Jonty, Grey Warbler, Hadfield, Cuchulainn, Orca, Rock Crystal, Eric the Viking, Teak, Kumai, The Cossack, Koral, Sea King and thousands of others. Take away jumps racing and very few others would know about the great achievements of these horses. 

Great post, Walt.

Jumps racing is well gone here in the south, anyway.  The Grand National - as it is now - will only remain while there is the will to travel horses from the North Island.  The Hurdles at least will be safe this year, Tim Mills has an ownership interest in Berry The Cash, who is reportedly on target to defend his title.

All the tinkering over the last few years didn't help one iota, and IMO, the demise of highweights down here was one very potent factor.  No chance for jumps riders to have off-season opportunities - so why bother being here - and those horses suited by highweight conditions, not catered for and gradually dropping out of circulation.  The discussions I had with many about this, to be told, oh, but we don't have enough highweight riders...so, I said, make them welters then, with preference to be given first to a jump rider.  Didn't seem difficult to me, but maybe I was missing something.

Southern trainers have been blamed for not supporting the jumping scene, but developing a jumper is time consuming and expensive.  Who on earth would bother, with no riders and no certainty that next season there would even be any events to target?  

The typically very hard tracks in Canterbury particularly are not conducive to that discipline either.

• Champ Post 1

11 hours ago, Special Agent said:

I don't see many greyhounds out walking the streets so where do they go?  Are there greyhound sections at dog shows?

Probably lying on couches watching TV, like mine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Special Agent said:

I don't see many greyhounds out walking the streets so where do they go?  Are there greyhound sections at dog shows?

I see greyhounds walking the streets every day, very common down here in CH CH. Only this morning saw one 7.30am walking in the fog. Yes there is always the hound section at dog shows, and some people do show their hounds.

4 hours ago, aquaman said:

I see greyhounds walking the streets every day, very common down here in CH CH. Only this morning saw one 7.30am walking in the fog. Yes there is always the hound section at dog shows, and some people do show their hounds.

As NZTR are trying to push the after racing life of thoroughbreds in equestrian disciplines, maybe GRNZ or their adoption agencies could do a "showing" drive, if they don't already.  Not every home owner wants a dog on their couch but, if there is another active avenue for them it may prolong their life a little longer.

19 hours ago, Special Agent said:

As NZTR are trying to push the after racing life of thoroughbreds in equestrian disciplines, maybe GRNZ or their adoption agencies could do a "showing" drive, if they don't already.  Not every home owner wants a dog on their couch but, if there is another active avenue for them it may prolong their life a little longer.

GAP [Greyhounds as Pets] the main rehoming agency for GRNZ does all those things plus. Google it.