Bit Of A Yarn

The Drone can't find the second horse! Didn't have flight clearance to go higher!

• Chief Stipe changed the title to The Drone can't find the second horse! Didn't have flight clearance to go higher!

Interesting the descisions made by the other Jockey's.  At a Time: 2:02.02 Last 600m: 0:37.83 for the 2000m I think the others were left sleeping a bit.  Aguably the best Jockey's in OZ in that race but I'm not sure they judged the pace that well.

Would be interesting to see the early sectionals but I'm not sure where to find those.  Perhaps @curious can help.

The Jockey comments tell a story!  Willo deflected.  JMac was embarrassed.  Ben Melham had a dig.

Jockey Quotes - Queen Elizabeth Stakes

Find out what the jockeys made of their mounts after the Group 1 $5,000,000 Queen Elizabeth Stakes (2000m) at Royal Randwick.

Declan Bates (Pride Of Jenni): That was all her today. Over the last six months, the times I’ve ridden her we had a nice rhythm with each other and when I’d ask her to come back she’d come back a bit.

“Today, when the horse on the outside came to her, she grabbed the bit and she didn’t drop it at any point.

“I was actually concerned that we were doing a bit too much. To be honest, until we hit that line I wasn’t happy at all today until it was done.

“I couldn’t tell you what the sectionals were. Generally once we’re doing it nice and smoothly, I’m aware. Today, just knew we were going quicker than I wanted to so it was a matter of coming back, coming back, and she said ‘nah I’m going’. She knows better.

“It is amazing. Tony Ottobre has changed my life putting me on these horses. Just to be a part of this, you know, it is something special. It really is.

“I knew when I got out today she had a spring in her step and I was concerned that she was getting to the end of her prep.

“You can usually hear them coming and I was tempted to have a look back but I kept my eyes on the post.”

Pride Of Jenni wins the Queen Elizabeth Stakes

James McDonald (Via Sistina): “Embarassing.”

Craig Williams (Mr Brightside): “I was so pleased with his performance. I love the way he felt and most importantly the way he recovered and came back after the race. Take nothing away from Pride Of Jenni. She is phenomenal. My horse turned the tables on Cascadian so it showed you that my horse was better than the Australian Cup.”

Ben Melham (Cascadian): “Dunno what to say really. The race was over after three furlongs. Second and third horses should have tacked up. It was always going to win with a scenario like that.”

Blake Shinn (Buckaroo): “He didn’t jump the best. Liked to have been forward. When he didn’t jump it put him out of the race. Winner dominated.”

Nash Rawiller (Kovalica): “He’s run a great race. I think I really love this horse. Just didn’t work out too well for us today.”

Josh Parr (Zeyrek): “He reached his top speed a long way from home and it’s not to his liking.”

Tommy Berry (Place Du Carrousel): “Just not the same horse today.”

Tom Marquand (Ceolwulf): “At halfway it was open what was happening. I was locked up on fence. I was happy with the complexion of the race. A tough run for him.”

41 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Interesting the descisions made by the other Jockey's.  At a Time: 2:02.02 Last 600m: 0:37.83 for the 2000m I think the others were left sleeping a bit.  Aguably the best Jockey's in OZ in that race but I'm not sure they judged the pace that well.

Would be interesting to see the early sectionals but I'm not sure where to find those.  Perhaps @curious can help.

Posted on cafe.

Dan O'Sullivan's view.

🏇Unpacking the Queen Elizabeth Stakes ⏱️⚖️📊

⏱️In the run: 

*⃣ Pride Of Jenni went at a similar speed to the 800m and 600m mark as she did in the Australian Cup. Her extreme leading margin was hugely contributed to by the incredibly casual nature of the chasing pack.
*⃣ As an example, Mr Brightside (2nd in run) ran about -14L slower to the 600m than is typical for a Randwick 2000m race, not even factoring in that, on average, G1 quality horses should run faster in the early stages than the overall T&D standard.
*⃣ In other words, the pack could have been at least 14L closer at the 600m mark and not have been unduly taxing their horses. They would have travelled no faster than the typical early speed for the Randwick 2000m trip. 
*⃣ Pride Of Jenni was running her race like she typically does. The others were running their race like she wasn't there, taking part in something typical of a jog & sprint weight-for-age race. 
*⃣ Jockeys don't have the benefit of seeing sectionals during the run to know exactly how fast they are going, but they must have known they were travelling well and truly within their comfort zones. I think psychology was a big factor after the first 400m or so and through the middle stages, with jockeys afraid of busting their horse by chasing Pride Of Jenni and trying to close the gap. In essence, they were psyched out of the race by the reputation of Pride Of Jenni, and the result was an over-correction where they went far slower than they should have. 

📊The overall race:

*⃣ On the objective measures of the clock, on a day where times were typical of a Good 4 track,  Pride Of Jenni's overall time of 122.02 was certainly not as remarkable as a 6.5L winning margin over Via Sistina and 8.4L over Mr Brightside would suggest, based on what we know of the talent of those horses. 
*⃣ In a rating sense, if you take some type of line through the ratings of those behind, you'd have Pride Of Jenni at an elite world-class level... think of Might & Power or Sunline with a similar running style, but the clock doesn't warrant that. The chasing pack, with the start they gave by going so slowly for so long, essentially didn't take part in the "race", so none of them can get credit for running anywhere near their typical form. 
*⃣ Pride Of Jenni has gone very well at a 105 rating (vs 102.6 in the Australian Cup), but I don't think she has suddenly turned into Might & Power or Sunline.
*⃣ I've never seen anything like this race where it was literally two separate events. Pride Of Jenni in her own race and the pack in a jog & sprint WFA race. It presents a unique scenario in which to rate performances and view the form going forward.
*⃣ If we look at the pack in their own race and assess its quality based on that, it was in line with what we would expect. Via Sistina was particularly good in a theoretically very slow run race to sprint past Mr Brightside (who went well). Cascadian was also terrific

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Freda said:

Very good assessment IMO

It's a piss poor assessment, but you'd need to have race-ridden to know that.

Every other jockey in that race used their brains by not chasing the tearaway, if they had they would've been the first beaten.

There was a class galloper here in the late 60's early 70's by the name of Game who led by big margins and broke the opposition's hearts, as did Vo Rogue. Opposing jockey's back then also did not fall into the chasing trap.

If you're going to chase, you must use a rabbit to do so.

7 minutes ago, billy connolly said:

Every other jockey in that race used their brains by not chasing the tearaway, if they had they would've been the first beaten.

There was a class galloper here in the late 60's early 70's by the name of Game who led by big margins and broke the opposition's hearts, as did Vo Rogue. Opposing jockey's back then also did not fall into the chasing trap.

Nup.  Willo made the mistake.  Should have stuck on her arse.

5 hours ago, billy connolly said:

Don't think Dan was suggesting that anyone should have given chase. Just that if the rest had run their race at genuine tempo, they would have ended up a good bit closer.

Game. Now there's a horse that lived up to his name.