Bit Of A Yarn

Question re Tiger Tara

Basil

Well, two actually. I see Tiger Tara is now the betting favourite for the Cup. This got me wondering...

1. Has a horse ever won the Cup for the first time at its 5th attempt? (I remember Robalan had a few unsuccessful goes before winning, but I don't think it was four)

2. Has a horse with a history of four unsuccessful attempts ever previously been pre-post favourite for the Cup? (this is obviously a bit more subjective since there  wasn't an official pre-post favourite prior to the advent of futures betting)

I'm hoping some of you old-timers out there will have this information at your finger-tips.?

No one interested Basil by the look of it. Im old enough to remember going a whole day without taking a picture though.

I think it is indicative of the quality of this years field. Much like the days of Hutt Park having the Wellington Cup full of open class pacers only to descend into a non event. ( mind you some of that was due to other factors as well ). 

Tiger Tara is the logical select going on the defections. Having raced against some pretty good opposition in the previous 4 yrs and showing some grit in the Victoria Cup he must be a chance. Not for me though.

i think it is a year to soon for The Fixer, although the Allstars Barn may disagree, and mares (Dream About Me) winning the Cup are not common.

I think genuinely, some may just get in the way of real chances this year ,due to the fact of their lower class ranking, and the downgrading allowed to make up a field. 

I think Jacks Legend is a live chance and my pick now that the others are out, providing he gets a favorable run ( see above). He peaked late and blew after the Chicago Bull race. He can only get better from that. 

• Like 1