Bit Of A Yarn

NZ Cup Field: Queen Bee Bardon & Bailey's Knight

Happy Sunrise

Should R74 and R77 horses be in the Cup? Should they even be allowed to be nominated?

Queen Bee Bardon is a 6 win horse. That is a C6 horse at best in the old days. She has run minor placings behind Ivana Flybe and Mossdale Rose in her last two starts which clearly shows she is out of her depth in the Cup. Mind you, Forgotten Highway has only won 5!

Is it about time the powers that be had a cut off for the low rating allowed in the Cup, just to keep the standard up? I think they do.

image.thumb.png.4131a478eb046e179fdc60089f27ab67.png 

• Champ Post 1

Someone agrees with me . 

Cheapens the race and I agree a dumb down result .

All because of greed - MET needs to rethink this as last 3 years have had useless horses in the race (some have destroyed deserved starters there chance in the race )  - Miracle Mile by far the best race in Australasia as field quality not quantity.

Rating 90 should be the minimum nomination or you win a qualifying race - not this $$$$ pay in and you get a start .

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

19 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Should R74 and R77 horses be in the Cup? Should they even be allowed to be nominated?

Queen Bee Bardon is a 6 win horse. That is a C6 horse at best in the old days. She has run minor placings behind Ivana Flybe and Mossdale Rose in her last two starts which clearly shows she is out of her depth in the Cup. Mind you, Forgotten Highway has only won 5!

Is it about time the powers that be had a cut off for the low rating allowed in the Cup, just to keep the standard up? I think they do.

Agree. It is daft that these horses are included in the most prestigious harness race of the year. None of them belong in the field and are unlikely to get a start anyway. If the worst happens and some do start at least they are on the unruly mark so should not get in the way of more fancied runners at the start. 

It is also a concern there are so many horses on unruly....  two Dunn runners Alta Orlando and Zadaka get starts. Will these horses cooperate or will they hold up the start? If they lineup quickly and go good, but if they muck around we could see a Lamb  special... horses out of line, facing the wrong way, standing sideways, when he says "right". worse a false start. 

• Like 4