NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

America Rehoming Project Underway

From the GRNZ website 

Greyhound Racing New Zealand (GRNZ) is pleased to announce that its America Rehoming Project is officially underway, following a period of extensive due diligence and planning.

On Wednesday, 14 retired greyhounds were successfully transported from New Zealand to Chicago to begin their new lives in their American forever homes. We are pleased to advise that all 14 grehounds travelled very well and all have been picked up by their adoption agencies.

GRNZ has worked closely on this initiative with Greyhound Pets of America, the national consultative group for the promotion of greyhound adoptions across the United States of America (USA). Both parties have worked hard to ensure that animal welfare is the foremost priority at every step of the process, with a robust set of mandatory Welfare Guidelines having been developed specifically for this project.

GRNZ is committed to every greyhound having the opportunity to find its forever home at the end of its racing career. While GRNZ continues to put considerable time and resource into rehoming dogs in New Zealand, the America Rehoming Project means that more greyhounds can be rehomed annually - and faster, thereby reducing waiting list times significantly.

GRNZ firmly believes rehoming greyhounds to the USA is a positive for the industry, and exemplifies our dedication to ensuring the best possible welfare outcomes for every greyhound.

Posted on 29 April 2024

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seeyounexttuesdaytrainers said:

From the GRNZ website 

Greyhound Racing New Zealand (GRNZ) is pleased to announce that its America Rehoming Project is officially underway, following a period of extensive due diligence and planning.

On Wednesday, 14 retired greyhounds were successfully transported from New Zealand to Chicago to begin their new lives in their American forever homes. We are pleased to advise that all 14 grehounds travelled very well and all have been picked up by their adoption agencies.

GRNZ has worked closely on this initiative with Greyhound Pets of America, the national consultative group for the promotion of greyhound adoptions across the United States of America (USA). Both parties have worked hard to ensure that animal welfare is the foremost priority at every step of the process, with a robust set of mandatory Welfare Guidelines having been developed specifically for this project.

GRNZ is committed to every greyhound having the opportunity to find its forever home at the end of its racing career. While GRNZ continues to put considerable time and resource into rehoming dogs in New Zealand, the America Rehoming Project means that more greyhounds can be rehomed annually - and faster, thereby reducing waiting list times significantly.

GRNZ firmly believes rehoming greyhounds to the USA is a positive for the industry, and exemplifies our dedication to ensuring the best possible welfare outcomes for every greyhound.

Posted on 29 April 2024

That's nice Tyra.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Seeyounexttuesdaytrainers said:

Because you’re wrong perhaps? 🤣🤣🤣 but cool story plucking random names of people you’ve seen in the media who have opposing views to you. What a detective. 

Also little bit weird that you, as the site admin, allow people to have completely non-verified names but you try to publicly out the person behind this account 🤔🤔🤔

Edited by Seeyounexttuesdaytrainers
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Seeyounexttuesdaytrainers said:

Also little bit weird that you, as the site admin, allow people to have completely non-verified names but you try to publicly out the person behind this account 🤔🤔🤔

Well you do open yourself up to it by calling yourself Seeyounexttuesdaytrainers and in the process declaring your position on the industry.  Do you class all trainers in that Seeyounexttuesday category?  

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Well you do open yourself up to it by calling yourself Seeyounexttuesdaytrainers and in the process declaring your position on the industry.  Do you class all trainers in that Seeyounexttuesday category?  

Haven’t we…had this conversation before? The one where I pointed out that you, as site admin, approved the account name. So the clear inference is you’re actually okay with it.

Yep, we’ve definitely had that convo already. 

And again, as we’ve already discussed, there was nothing in the T&Cs when the account was created that said you had to declare your views on racing or trainers. Not do I see you, as site admin, demanding (ad nauseam) that anyone else must do so either 🙄

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Seeyounexttuesdaytrainers said:

Haven’t we…had this conversation before? The one where I pointed out that you, as site admin, approved the account name. So the clear inference is you’re actually okay with it.

I don't have a problem with it however it gives a clear indication of what your real views are.

17 minutes ago, Seeyounexttuesdaytrainers said:

And again, as we’ve already discussed, there was nothing in the T&Cs when the account was created that said you had to declare your views on racing or trainers. Not do I see you, as site admin, demanding (ad nauseam) that anyone else must do so either 🙄

It is clear how you view all Greyhound trainers so why anyone take your point of view seriously?

14 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I don't have a problem with it however it gives a clear indication of what your real views are.

It is clear how you view all Greyhound trainers so why anyone take your point of view seriously?

Lolololol for someone who doesn’t have problem with the account name you sure bang on about it a lot. And you’re the only person on these forums who has 🤣🤔

Likewise, it’s also clear how you view greyhound trainers so why would anyone take your point of view seriously? Keeping in mind independent research shows 74 per cent of Kiwis would vote to ban greyhound racing in a public referendum. 

Lolololol for someone who doesn’t have problem with the account name you sure bang on about it a lot. And you’re the only person on these forums who has 🤣🤔

That's because I'm sure not many pay any attention to your posts.  Bearing in my of course that it isn't the first time you have used the derivative of you avatar name on BOAY.

Likewise, it’s also clear how you view greyhound trainers so why would anyone take your point of view seriously?

You have no idea what my view of greyhound trainers nor does anyone else.

Keeping in mind independent research shows 74 per cent of Kiwis would vote to ban greyhound racing in a public referendum. 

Which is the reason for your avatar name - you have an agenda.  Quite frankly I'm ambivalent to Greyhound racing.

10 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

That's because I'm sure not many pay any attention to your posts.  Bearing in my of course that it isn't the first time you have used the derivative of you avatar name on BOAY.

You have no idea what my view of greyhound trainers nor does anyone else.

Which is the reason for your avatar name - you have an agenda.  Quite frankly I'm ambivalent to Greyhound racing.

Lololol just like the pro racers who post here have an agenda. You just don’t like when someone’s views don’t appear to align with what your opinions? Because if you were truly ambivalent about greyhound racing why are we still having this deeply boring, repetitive conversation about the account name you approved?  

Just now, Seeyounexttuesdaytrainers said:

So let’s get back to the actual point of this thread, eh? Flying dogs to America for rehoming: how do people feel about this and the money involved to do this? On top of the (at capacity) Rehab to Rehoming facilities, it must be costing a small fortune- does it seem a sustainable way to manage the rehoming crisis? 

I know exactly who you are.  So why don't you declare the association you align to?

I'll give @Yankiwi one point and that is he is actually interested in Greyhound Racing continuing.

5 minutes ago, Seeyounexttuesdaytrainers said:

Again, just because you demand something doesn’t mean anyone has to do it. 

And if no one else here takes notice of my posts as you say, then so be it. But you’re sure het up enough about them and clearly can’t let it go to actually talk about the thread topic 🤪

If I can be so bold to say that you have one agenda and that is to close down Greyhound Racing in NZ.  Correct?

21 minutes ago, Seeyounexttuesdaytrainers said:

Can’t let it go eh? And 🤣 at how you think there’s so few people with potentially differing views that you can just work your way through naming them. Keep guessing. 

Well be honest are you involved with the Greyhound Protection League or not?  Yes or No.

As for sending retired greyhound to the States, I see it as a good thing, but only as a temporary measure to get the overwhelming number of dogs waiting to get into homes.

I reckon that if GRNZ can cover the costs of sending them overseas, then instead why can't they use the same funds to place them here with kiwis?

Maybe domestic adoption numbers would substantially increase if GRNZ was willing to fund future vet bills for the dogs that were successfully placed here in NZ instead. At least that would be keeping the funds in this country instead of sending it offshore never to be seen again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

As for sending retired greyhound to the States, I see it as a good thing, but only as a temporary measure to get the overwhelming number of dogs waiting to get into homes.

I reckon that if GRNZ can cover the costs of sending them overseas, then instead why can't they use the same funds to place them here with kiwis?

Maybe domestic adoption numbers would substantially increase if GRNZ was willing to fund future vet bills for the dogs that were successfully placed here in NZ instead. At least that would be keeping the funds in this country instead of sending it offshore never to be seen again.

I think the issue is that rehoming agencies here are too overwhelmed. Increasing foxton, the south island and the northern regions kennel numbers for rehomed dogs hasn't increased the number of dogs being rehomed, it's led to an even larger backlog of dogs and dogs under care of the grnz. Wait times in the CD and northern region can be from 3-6 months from my understanding. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BitofaLegend said:

I think the issue is that rehoming agencies here are too overwhelmed.

Thus me thinking short term it's a good thing.

It must cost a fair coin to send dogs overseas. That why I made the suggestion that GRNZ could fund vet care for the life of a greyhound rehomed by them or their agents in a successful NZ adoption.

In most case I'd expect the cost incurred for future vet bill would be less than flying them overseas, and also spreads the expenditure over a much longer period.

This would make adopting one or two of them a far more attractive for any kiwi looking for a dog.

10 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

Thus me thinking short term it's a good thing.

It must cost a fair coin to send dogs overseas. That why I made the suggestion that GRNZ could fund vet care for the life of a greyhound rehomed by them or their agents in a successful NZ adoption.

In most case I'd expect the cost incurred for future vet bill would be less than flying them overseas, and also spreads the expenditure over a much longer period.

This would make adopting one or two of them a far more attractive for any kiwi looking for a dog.

Maybe pay pet insurance for dogs first 5yrs.

• Like 1