Bit Of A Yarn

America Rehoming Project Underway

Thank you @Yankiwi @aquaman and @BitofaLegend for some actual discourse on the topic rather than the admin skating perilously close to breaking his own site’s privacy policy. How does that work if I have to complain to @Chief Stipe about @Chief Stipe

I think the pet insurance suggestion (about $1,000 per dog per annum) would be the most viable cost alternative from GRNZ’s perspective, rather than covering vet bills, if my rescued hounds are anything to go by. We’ve spent close to 10k in 5 years on one’s teeth alone and 3k on dental bills for the other in 18 months, plus at least 5k more on bloat emergency vet visits. Then there’s the arthritis monthly injections and pain relief and other small injuries and illnesses. Most of this isn’t covered by insurance because dental is excluded or they have been deemed pre existing conditions (one is an RtR hound). 

Obviously from an adopter’s perspective vet bills covered would be vastly preferable.

IMG_3001.jpeg

2 hours ago, Seeyounexttuesdaytrainers said:

Thank you @Yankiwi @aquaman and @BitofaLegend for some actual discourse on the topic rather than the admin skating perilously close to breaking his own site’s privacy policy. How does that work if I have to complain to @Chief Stipe about @Chief Stipe

Where did I go "perilously close to breaking" my sites privacy policy?  It would be very hard to do that in you case if you haven't actually given any details to release!!!  

All I asked is for you to state what association you align to and what your objective is.  I'm putting my money on at $1.01 that you are anti Greyhound Racing and want it to stop.  Back to the topic - if that happened you wouldn't have to worry about rehoming would you?

9 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Where did I go "perilously close to breaking" my sites privacy policy?  It would be very hard to do that in you case if you haven't actually given any details to release!!!  

All I asked is for you to state what association you align to and what your objective is.  I'm putting my money on at $1.01 that you are anti Greyhound Racing and want it to stop.  Back to the topic - if that happened you wouldn't have to worry about rehoming would you?

It’s lucky my name isn’t Tyra isn’t it? 🤪 #shortmemorymuch

And given the RIB reported in March 2023 that with the current breeding vs rehoming rates (the later of which have further plummeted since) it would take seven years to rehome all the hounds in the industry at that point. So rehoming is, unfortunately, going to be a challenge for a long time to come. 

18 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

Thus me thinking short term it's a good thing.

It must cost a fair coin to send dogs overseas. That why I made the suggestion that GRNZ could fund vet care for the life of a greyhound rehomed by them or their agents in a successful NZ adoption.

In most case I'd expect the cost incurred for future vet bill would be less than flying them overseas, and also spreads the expenditure over a much longer period.

This would make adopting one or two of them a far more attractive for any kiwi looking for a dog.

My understanding atleast regarding the rehoming costs and costs of injury rehabilitation post racing, is that these funds come of the top of what would be stakes for the trainers. I forget the exact number that was mentioned but there is a percent taken of each race for this.

I also know entain group are very supportive of greyhound racing generally, being large sponsors in Australia already and from what I've been told from a few of the people I still talk to here, seems like they will be here too with members going to board members meeting or meeting trainers etc. 

While I am critical of the industry at times, it has improved alot since i was involved which i am happy to see. I also doubt any government will ban it. I imagine the deal with entain would have come with guarantees and I doubt they'd be happy to lose the second largest income for their entire operations.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BitofaLegend said:

While I am critical of the industry at times, it has improved alot since i was involved which i am happy to see.

I agree. There has been a lot of improvement.

What I am critical about is GRNZ making statements and then not following thru with them.

Manukau's safety rail is a classic example.

2014 - nope

July 2023 - Announced for Nov 2023 - nope/delay.

Jan 2024 - nope/delay.

May 2024 (yes today) - Still nope. Still delayed? What gives?

They can't even complete a relatively simple project which they stated wouldn't interrupt trails or racing.

If they can't do something as easy as this, what can they do?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2024 at 8:28 PM, BitofaLegend said:

Wait times in the CD and northern region can be from 3-6 months from my understanding. 

If 14 dogs have gone to America there must be at least 14 spaces somewhere.  It seems a bit extreme NZ dogs going to the US.  If greyhounds are such lovely pets, what marketing is being aimed at NZ homes?

Just saw a race from Caliente on Trackside.  Maybe all these NZ ex-racers will make their way to South America, instead of lounging on a couch somewhere.

1 hour ago, Special Agent said:

If 14 dogs have gone to America there must be at least 14 spaces somewhere.  It seems a bit extreme NZ dogs going to the US.  If greyhounds are such lovely pets, what marketing is being aimed at NZ homes?

Just saw a race from Caliente on Trackside.  Maybe all these NZ ex-racers will make their way to South America, instead of lounging on a couch somewhere.

I feel confident that those hounds that made it to America will end up in excellent homes, even better than here. They are really sort after in the US, especially after all the track closures. I also read that all 14 arrived safely and in good condition, so all good news SA.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Special Agent said:

I think the issue is there aren't enough homes in NZ and Australia to keep up rehoming numbers long term. 

If 1000 dogs retire a year, roughly 800 will be rehomed I'd imagine. 800 per year over 10yrs is alot of dogs needing rehoming and the rehoming programs been going for 15+ years.