NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

betterthandiva

i just watched the lionel dobbs interview on unhinged.

I once had dealings with him and his wife and you wouldn't meet more genuine honest and fair people.

Unhinged being there to capture it all was great..

also great seeing the pleasure john dunn obviously got from winning for the dobbs.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

7 hours ago, the galah said:

i just watched the lionel dobbs interview on unhinged.

I once had dealings with him and his wife and you wouldn't meet more genuine honest and fair people.

Unhinged being there to capture it all was great..

also great seeing the pleasure john dunn obviously got from winning for the dobbs.

I watched that interview Galah. Was an excellent watch as Nigel's fly on the wall interviews are. Gave a good insight into him and the horse.

Is that the same guy that trained the good sprinter Flying View back in the day? 

10 minutes ago, Walt said:

I watched that interview Galah. Was an excellent watch as Nigel's fly on the wall interviews are. Gave a good insight into him and the horse.

Is that the same guy that trained the good sprinter Flying View back in the day? 

i believe flying view was trained by his grandfather.

I remember lionel dobbs used to lead it around at the races a lot and  guess he would have also ridden it in work although he would have been a lot younger then,like us all.

that was quite a few years ago now.

It was a grey from memory and did it run 2nd in a telegraph at trentham?

i seem to remember its racing colours were yellow as well and  may have raced against the likes of grey way a few times.

those were the days

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, the galah said:

i believe flying view was trained by his grandfather.

I remember lionel dobbs used to lead it around at the races a lot and  guess he would have also ridden it in work although he would have been a lot younger then,like us all.

that was quite a few years ago now.

It was a grey from memory and did it run 2nd in a telegraph at trentham?

i seem to remember its racing colours were yellow as well and  may have raced against the likes of grey way a few times.

those were the days

That's him Galah. An impressive grey that would have run in the Telegraph and also the big Canterbury sprint. May even have run in the Railway and Concorde. He was a beauty and you got the colours right.

I thought the age of the guy Nigel interviewed and how long ago Flying View raced didn't marry up but the name sure did. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've got my names screwed up Galah. I see Flying View won the 1980 Telegraph for L H Pratt....not L Dobbs. S Laming rode. I assume that's Shane Laming? Is he related to Bevan. They had a good one called "Midnight" that had a story with it.

I'm confident Flying View was a Mainlander from the South Canterbury area. Would like to see who he beat in the Telegraph. I can recall him bombing them late as was his way. Arbre Chene won it the year before and won the Railway in 1980. 

Edited by Walt

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Walt said:

I've got my names screwed up Galah. I see Flying View won the 1980 Telegraph for L H Pratt....not L Dobbs. S Laming rode. I assume that's Shane Laming? Is he related to Bevan. They had a good one called "Midnight" that had a story with it.

I'm confident Flying View was a Mainlander from the South Canterbury area. Would like to see who he beat in the Telegraph. I can recall him bombing them late as was his way. Arbre Chene won it the year before and won the Railway in 1980. 

you got it right first time walt. 

lionel pratt was lionel dobbs grandfather . Not sure whether he was given his christain name  after his grandfather?

pretty sure they train and live just down the road from the orari racecourse and thats where lionel pratt trained from near the end of his career i'm pretty sure flying view was trained at orari.

like you say,i also remember him settling back and having a big finish.

i once worked with lionels(dobbs) late brother as well. He was a great guy,very well respected and loved his racing as well.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, goldilocks said:

Lionel Pratt's claim to fame outside of some very good horses he trained,was that he was the boss and riding mentor of the Skelton brothers.

Back when there may have been as many as 150 horses trained at Orari.

• Like 1

Noeline Dobbs ( nee Pratt) was old Lionels daughter and young Lionels mother.

She was an early competitor in the Ladies' races that helped get many of the girls accepted as riders and pioneered women being allowed to ride under rules. 

A very fine horsewoman in her own right.

Pretty sure Flying Views colours were green, but a long time ago!

Shane Laming is Bevan's son, looking at the big tall stretch now you'd wonder how he ever rode raceday!

Local farrier Scotty Laming is Shanes son and partner of jockey Sam Wynne.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Freda said:

Noeline Dobbs ( nee Pratt) was old Lionels daughter and young Lionels mother.

She was an early competitor in the Ladies' races that helped get many of the girls accepted as riders and pioneered women being allowed to ride under rules. 

A very fine horsewoman in her own right.

Pretty sure Flying Views colours were green, but a long time ago!

Shane Laming is Bevan's son, looking at the big tall stretch now you'd wonder how he ever rode raceday!

Local farrier Scotty Laming is Shanes son and partner of jockey Sam Wynne.

interesting how it all connects.

as to flying views colours,i could be wrong but my memory was it started out with greenish tartany colours then later changed to a colour a bit like a bright canary yellow.

from memory i was there and watched him place in the main sprint at orari behind grey way who  won his 50th race that day.

i've just looked up his record and i can see he was ridden in some races by lionel  dobbs.

as you have said,s laming seems to have been his regular rider but other jockeys like danny crozier,gary blair and even ally robinson,kevin morton,jim collett,michael mein,ray hewinson and a c g. sorrenson rode him in the south island.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, the galah said:

interesting how it all connects.

as to flying views colours,i could be wrong but my memory was it started out with greenish tartany colours then later changed to a colour a bit like a bright canary yellow.

from memory i was there and watched him place in the main sprint at orari behind grey way who  won his 50th race that day.

i've just looked up his record and i can see he was ridden in some races by lionel  dobbs.

as you have said,s laming seems to have been his regular rider but other jockeys like danny crozier,gary blair and even ally robinson,kevin morton,jim collett,michael mein,ray hewinson and a c g. sorrenson rode him in the south island.

What a treat that must have been to see the mighty Grey Way win his 50th. I'm pretty sure he won his 51st and final win was at Rangiora. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2024 at 12:25 PM, goldilocks said:

Lionel Pratt's claim to fame outside of some very good horses he trained,was that he was the boss and riding mentor of the Skelton brothers.

And also well known as NZ's premiership /champion trainer one season and possibly runnerup a couple of times too.

• Like 1