NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Welcome Stakes....A Group One?

Walt

Posted (edited)

In 1977 I drove from Nelson to Christchurch to see Royce's star Glide Time take on Motu Prince and Main Star in the Welcomes Stakes. He prevailed and it was a very pleasant drive home the next day. I've always looked forward to the race at Easter along with the time honoured Easter Cup.

The race has been won by some great horses. Lordship, Noodlum, Tuapeka Knight, Christian Cullen, Courage Under Fire etc but over the last decade or so it lost some of it's gloss for me. Mark Purdon has a great eye for picking up quality horses and owners with deep pockets to back his judgement. The All Stars have dominated the fields numerically and with the results year after year. I don't resent that but also don't enjoy seeing the same people scooping up all the spoils season after season. The Welcome Stakes almost became a game of musical chairs with the only question being which All Star would win?

I was delighted to see Katie Cox and It's Tough get over the top of the six horse field in 2023 and break a well worn routine. 

The timing of this race has been changed. It was traditionally run at Easter which many embraced. Now it's mid May. It's also been elevated to Group One status. That's a bit of a head scratcher for me. I appreciate it's been a G2 for some time and has been a G1 previously. It just doesn't look and feel like a G1 to me in the way the NZ Cup etc is a G1. 

Can't help thinking we are putting too much focus on races like this and not enough on the traditional time honoured races.

I'm incredulous at the scrapping of the Easter Cup. Our best race is and always will be for me the NZ Cup. When you look at who could win the two mile feature in November your best guide was the two mile Easter Cup. This was the Easter feature I most looked forward to. The race hasn't just been moved like the Welcome Stakes, it's been dumped despite it's significance to NZ Harness racing. WTF? Are we prioritizing the wrong races? Breeders and owners won't agree but they don't fill the infield at Addington.

Easter Cup (Group 1)

Year Month Distance   Horse Hcap Owner Driver Time
Back to Index
2021 Apr 3200m

Self Assured 20m Mrs J L Feiss Mark Purdon 4-00.3

2019 Apr 3200m

Turn It Up 10m J A Gibbs MNZM, L Pilcher, Mark Purdon, Mrs A Gibbs Mark Purdon 3-58.3
2018 Mar 3200m

A G's White Socks Fr G P Hope, P G Laboyrie, P I Baken, Mrs V M Robertson, W R Stewart, Mrs C L Stewart, A R Pullar, Mrs B E Pullar Ricky May 4-02.1
2017 Apr 3200m

Heaven Rocks Fr Mrs G J Kennard, P I Kennard, P J Creighton, Mrs M C Creighton, G R Chief Stipelas, K J Riseley Natalie Rasmussen 3-58.7
2016 Mar 3200m

Locharburn Fr K K Chapman, Mrs B G Chapman Dexter Dunn 3-58.9
2015 Apr 3200m

Christen Me 20m C J Roberts, V L Purdon Dexter Dunn 3-57.2
2014 Apr 3200m

Adore Me 10m C J Roberts, P G Kenny, Mrs M L Kenny Blair Orange 3-59.9
2013 Mar 3200m

Terror To Love 10m T McDonald Ricky May 4-02.2
2012 Apr 3200m

Hands Christian Fr D M Dunford, M D Dunford Mark Purdon 4-04.0
2010 Apr 3200m

Sleepy Tripp Fr T D Taylor, Mrs A V Taylor Mark Purdon 4-03.0

2009 Apr 3200m

Monkey King 20m Cavalla Bloodstock Limited Ricky May 3-58.2
2008 Mar 3200m

Monkey King 10m Cavalla Bloodstock Limited Ricky May 4-01.8
2007 Apr 3200m

Tuherbs Fr T McDonald, E C Griffin Anthony Butt 4-03.9
2006 Apr 3200m

Baileys Dream Fr Cavalla Bloodstock Limited Ricky May 4-03.6
2005 Apr 3200m

Alta Serena Fr J P Green, Mrs P C Green, Mrs M E Green Brent Mangos 4-01.4
2004 Apr 3200m

Blue Chip Rock Fr W G Hill Ricky May 4-07.0
2002 Mar 3200m   Gracious Knight Fr Happy Valley Syndicate Todd Mitchell 4-06.9
2001 Apr 3200m   Disprove Fr L M Newman, A R Jack David Butcher 4-10.7
2000 Apr 3200m   Facta Non Verba Fr L J Berger, G J Rowe, J G Poppleton Todd Mitchell 4-08.2

1999 Apr 3200m   Homin Hosed Fr Mrs M A Macey, B L Macey Todd Mitchell 4-05.8
1998 Apr 3200m   Anvil Vance 20m Mrs K J Purdon, K J Riseley, G H Beirne Tony Herlihy 4-04.0
1997 Mar 3200m   Bradshaw Fr S C Fisher, B E Rossiter Ken Barron 4-01.9
1996 Apr 3200m   Master Musician 25m R J Dunn, Mrs R M Dunn Robert Dunn 4-01.2
1995 Apr 3200m   Matthew Lee 20m R P Anicich Patrick O'Reilly 4-01.5
1994 Apr 3200m   Desperate Comment Fr G E Pilkington, A R Campbell, J H Mullins Jim Curtin 4-05.3
1993 Apr 3200m   Chokin 15m Pacers Australia Syndications Pty Ltd, M Joyce, J Loughnan, B De Boer Tony Herlihy 4-03.0
1992 Apr 3200m   Insutcha 10m Parnell Syndicate Mark Purdon 4-02.4
1991 Mar 3200m   Blossom Lady 15m Polly Syndicate Anthony Butt 4-03.3
1990 Apr 3200m   Inky Lord 10m G M Saunders Ricky May 4-04.9

1989 Mar 3200m   Microscopic Fr G R Bond, Ms R J McLeish John Hay 4-10.1
1988 Apr 3200m   Luxury Liner 15m R R Reid, Est L F Reid, Mrs J C Reid Tony Herlihy 4-09.6
1987 Apr 3200m   Skipper Dale 10m J A Howard Patrick O'Reilly 4-05.1
1986 Mar 3200m   Skipper Dale Fr J A Howard Patrick O'Reilly 4-10.9
1985 Apr 3200m   Our Mana 10m Mrs J A Barron Colin DeFilippi 4-13.2
1984 Apr 3200m   Norton Fr M W Anderson, L W Anderson Kerry O'Reilly 4-10.4
1983 Apr 3200m   Hands Down 25m W H McAughtrie, Mrs M F McAughtrie Peter Jones 4-09.3
1982 Apr 3200m   Hands Down 25m W H & Mrs M F McAughtrie Peter Jones 4-14.1
1981 Apr 3200m   Hands Down 10m W H & Mrs M F McAughtrie Peter Jones 4-11.2
1980 Apr 3200m   Trevira Fr Mrs M V Hamilton & Mrs J R Marshall Gavan Hamilton 4-06.9

1979 Apr 3200m   Wee Win 10m Mrs J M & M L Thompson Wes Butt 4-09.3
1978 Mar 3200m   Sapling 10m G C Cruickshank & R Given Henry Skinner 4-11.8
1977 Apr 3200m   Balgove Fr J P & W H Roberts Robert Cameron 4-11.7
1976 Apr 3200m   Captain Harcourt 10m E J Bennett Tommy Knowles 4-10.2
1975 Mar 3200m   Robalan 35m A T Devery, P N Hope & D D Nyhan Denis Nyhan 4-07.4
1974 Apr 3200m   Vanadium 20m E J Lloyd Leo May 4-11.6
1973 Apr 2m   Manawaru Fr C J McLaughlin Allan Harrison 4-12.2
1972 Apr 2m   Rauka Lad 12yds J Hall Bob Nyhan 4-15.8
1971       Not Run        
1970 Mar 1m 5f   Torrent Fr D A & S E Harley Jack Smolenski 3-28.4

1969 Apr 1m 5f   Chequer Board 12yds A H Carmichael Jack Carmichael 3-24.2
1968 Apr 1m 5f   Allakasam 18yds C J McLaughlin Allan Harrison 3-32.6
1967 Mar 1m 5f   Great Adios 12yds Mrs P M Norton Ray Norton 3-24.4
1966 Apr 1m 5f   Lordship 36yds Mrs D G Nyhan Denis Nyhan 3-21.0
1965 Apr 1m 5f   Jacobite Fr D E Barclay & R A Burnett Doody Townley 3-23.4
1964 Mar 1m 5f   Lordship 36yds Mrs D G Nyhan Denis Nyhan 3-22.2
1963 Apr 1m 5f   Master Alan Fr C M & G R Hore Bob Young 3-26.8
Edited by Walt
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The welcome stakes is one of those races where they have bumped the stakes up for the 2 year olds ,throwing more money at them seemingly on the premise that it will encourage more peolpe to breed.

it doen't make sense,but seems to be HRNZ's thinking.

they have got it totally wrong in my view and so have the likes of the media personalitites who are always hyping up the successful players in one part of the industry as the role models..

You know,everyone seems to accept that  there will be a shortage of horses going forward and therefore to retain its market share and keep providing income to the majority of industry participants,there will have to be better use of their number one resource,the horses.

So what does HRNZ and the media always elevate and promote and say this is the blueprint for what everyone should be trying to achieve...The likes  of the purdon/phelan partnership or the all stars.

And what have the likes of those stables consistently said over the years,their focus is on only training the good horses,which is what they obviously are very good at...But there average horse don't last long and don't get to race and there is much less overall use of that valuable resource,the horses.

But it shouldn't take einstein to work out that there are far more valuable trainers to the industries viabilty than the aforementioned trainers. Thats not to undermine their achievements which anyone can admire,but its just stating reality.

Traiers like michael house,bruce negus,greg and nina hope,mark jones and even the dunns make better use of their use numbers and provide more product and then you have the smaller trainers like robbie holmes,jay abernethy,barry ward,john mcdermott who are doing good things.

So if your talking about the reality of who is needed most by the industry,its the latter group of trainers and that is who HRNZ should be focusing on incentivsing to keep doing what they are doing.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

54 minutes ago, the galah said:

And what have the likes of those stables consistently said over the years,their focus is on only training the good horses,which is what they obviously are very good at...But there average horse don't last long and don't get to race and there is much less overall use of that valuable resource,the horses.

But it shouldn't take einstein to work out that there are far more valuable trainers to the industries viabilty than the aforementioned trainers. Thats not to undermine their achievements which anyone can admire,but its just stating reality.

The Welcome Stakes has always had some prestige and nothing wrong with having increase in stakes 💰🏆 if possible to maintain the quality and prestige.

Yes the good stables that race in ALL the Group races are the 'face of the industry' . You expect them to dominate these races with Billionaires like Shannon having 17 horses with Barry and phelan for example.  (Merlin and co)

Tonight the feature $140k 3 year old Fillies Sires championship at Aucland is dominated by 3 of the BIG 4 stables in New Zealand. Nearly the entire field.  A real shock Allstars are starting to show signs of the 'cutback' ?? with nothing in this race to battle against the multiple Dunn , Telfer and Barry Purdon runners. (Nat is driving a DUNN runner !! 🤣😂) the main rival on most occasions lol. Her standards are slipping? tongue in cheek 😅)

The smaller trainers are valuable to southland, west Coast, manawatu and the like , but the GROUP racing is the flagship , and as long as people are still buying the yearlings , they can pop them in these stables at a lower training fee, and Hope Like Hell , they can win a race or return a profit or even get to the races at All ? lol 😁😎. looonng may the industry run 👍

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Gammalite said:

The Welcome Stakes has always had some prestige and nothing wrong with having increase in stakes 💰🏆 if possible to maintain the quality and prestige.

Yes the good stables that race in ALL the Group races are the 'face of the industry' . You expect them to dominate these races with Billionaires like Shannon having 17 horses with Barry and phelan for example.  (Merlin and co)

Tonight the feature $140k 3 year old Fillies Sires championship at Aucland is dominated by 3 of the BIG 4 stables in New Zealand. Nearly the entire field.  A real shock Allstars are starting to show signs of the 'cutback' ?? with nothing in this race to battle against the multiple Dunn , Telfer and Barry Purdon runners. (Nat is driving a DUNN runner !! 🤣😂) the main rival on most occasions lol. Her standards are slipping? tongue in cheek 😅)

The smaller trainers are valuable to southland, west Coast, manawatu and the like , but the GROUP racing is the flagship , and as long as people are still buying the yearlings , they can pop them in these stables at a lower training fee, and Hope Like Hell , they can win a race or return a profit or even get to the races at All ? lol 😁😎. looonng may the industry run 👍

I thought everyone recognised the number 1 issue in harness racing is lack of horse numbers.

so for the well being of the industry,who deserves greater rewards or incentives?

I think its just logical to say the trainers and owners who line up the horses in the races which generate  the profits from turnovers that are used to subsidise the higher stake,loss returning races.

Of course you need those big races and of course the likes of the pudons are very important.

But you lose me when you say Dean shannon and all the other rich owners deserve more incentives and rewards to0 keep them interested, than the bloke down the road who works  2 jobs so he can have a half share in a racehorse that hes happy to see line up most weeks without setting the world on fire,simply because he sees his horse more than just in a materialistic way.

Increasing the stake of the welcome stakes by $70,000 is such a stupid decision when you consider the good it could have done at the coalface.How many extra runners would it have attracted. zero would be the answer if people were honest.

The likes of a michael house or a robbie holmes are very important to the industry. $70,000 could have gone into many series races like the one running tonight for the lower grade at addington. Thats where your grass roots can see an incentive that they could relate to. Not the welcome stakes.  

Harness racing needs leadership that don't live in an echochamber. Thats the problem with harness racing,the decision makers are thinking ..what can we do to encourage more poeople to participate and they ask those in the same circles and think of what would help them continue,then push forward those policies thinking they are doing everyone a favour.

Well to the contrary,the vast majority live outside that echo chamber and HRNZ focusing on 2 year old racing is not helping one bit.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

2 hours ago, the galah said:

I think its just logical to say the trainers and owners who line up the horses in the races which generate  the profits from turnovers that are used to subsidise the higher stake,loss returning races.

Of course you need those big races and of course the likes of the pudons are very important.

But you lose me when you say Dean shannon and all the other rich owners deserve more incentives and rewards to0 keep them interested, than the bloke down the road who works  2 jobs so he can have a half share in a racehorse that hes happy to see line up most weeks without setting the world on fire,simply because he sees his horse more than just in a materialistic way.

There are owners on different agenda's . Of course the big owners are prepared to pay up for yearlings and then race them from the Big stables . Dean Shannon a prime example lately. Merv Butterworth racing 'Copy That' and 'Arden Rooney' could of just used Aussie trainer at home , also the Fiess  lady of Mark Purdon , but they are rich enough to support the NZ harness scene and Pay up for the slot races, etc. and enjoy the BIG Glory they strive for.  There's a good way forward being taken on board in NZ. real progress with those events past 3 years (slot trot and Pace). The racing has improved to go with it. And indeed you still have the Aussie raiders there tonight to have another go a few weeks later . excellent stuff. real progress !!! 

multi millionaire Kevin Seymour (Leap to Fame owner) and Brissy local the amazing Chris Garrard , and Dean Shannon have poured heaps(millions) into the local QLD harness scene , and now the Nz scene,  and they deserve every incentive and reward going as far as I'm concerned. many winners for them is greeeat. If we relied on your 'bloke with 2 jobs to race half a horse' the game would of collapsed in NZ and some states here in Oz long long ago too. that's just the dreamers mate.   

Manawatu nearly closed? like Wellington did, and Dunedin . Manawatu possibly saved by Michael House and Doody? . No Big trainers or owners or good 'Group class' horses there mate. So no interest either from most. Brodie and I are very keen harness racing supporters but wouldn't get too enthused over Manawatu (or Redcliffe to be fair 😅) and therefore it's just those BIG KEEN owners like Seymour , Boots, Butterworth, and Shannon and those millionaires that 'Keep It All Running ' at the main tracks. Bless them heartily I say.   

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gammalite said:

if we relied on your 'bloke with 2 jobs to race half a horse' the game would of collapsed in NZ and some states here in Oz long long ago too. that's just the dreamers mate.   

the people i know in the sport are mostly as i've described so obviously i move in different circles.

theres a place for everyone and if incentives are to be applied then they need to be directed at the area which gets the most positive effects.

If it takes another $70,000 for one 2 year old race or $12,000 bonuses for every 2 year old winner,for anyone to stay in the sport, then they are defintely targeting the wrong people. 

i think the people you descrbe have a genuine passion for the sport anyway so will still participate.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

We need to retain and have new owners entering the industry!

Without a new generation prepared to shell out big money for monthly training, then harness will be doomed!

We need big paying owners as well but they need to be introducing new participants as well!

All Punters need to be given a fair go as well!

• Like 2