Bit Of A Yarn

Cambridge may have a Trial Meeting!

What a fantastic facility ,especially for this time of year.....over 70 in transferred trials tomorrow , 20 jumpers on jumps course there today while the weekly jumpouts had 40 x horses last Friday.

Unsure if they will have jumpouts later this week , but hard to knock it in current weather !

Noticed over the weekend ,there were several Australian meetings on synthetics there , obviously the connections and Aussie punters have 'climatised' to the change . overall there must have been more non-turf meetings than turf !

Interesting !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Noticed over the weekend ,there were several Australian meetings on synthetics there , obviously the connections and Aussie punters have 'climatised' to the change . overall there must have been more non-turf meetings than turf !

Interesting !

Are you betting on a hunch?

Noticed over the weekend ,there were several Australian meetings on synthetics there

I counted two - Gold Coast Poly on Saturday and Devonport on Sunday.  That's a couple where were the others to make "several"?

Gold Coast Poly - 7 races 58 horses. Average field size 8.

Yep they're going gang busters in Australia.  Victoria doesn't want anymore than one and we have three.

A hunch, a hunch,  doh doh a hunch.

11 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Racing Victoria acknowledges that participants prefer turf tracks and are reducing their investment in Synthetic.

Run Converse GIF

Haha Chief...when Messara and others bring their Aussie experiences here we shout him down ,but when it suits our narrative we jump on board  !

12 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I counted two - Gold Coast Poly on Saturday and Devonport on Sunday.  That's a couple where were the others to make "several"?

Gold Coast Poly - 7 races 58 horses. Average field size 8.

Yep they're going gang busters in Australia.  Victoria doesn't want anymore than one and we have three.

A hunch, a hunch,  doh doh a hunch.

Get with the program Chief ,its a 4 day working week now...the traditional weekend brings change.

With a pocketful of cash after Thursday night trots into weekend , the lads were looking for races to bet on Friday.

The week in NZ had already been unique in that there had been THREE meetings on Synthetic in one week !

The Friday menu for gallops was Ballarat Synthetic , Canberra Acton and Carnavron Dirt..all non-turf !

Saturday included Gold Coast Synthetic , Broome Dirt , Darwin Dirt ...NZ had 4 x Jumps races at main meeting ,Australia rarely has jumps on a Saturday cos no-one bets on them !

Sunday had Devonport Synthetic and Alice Spring Dirt plus Singapore [50/50 mix] ,plus South Africa, Korea and Japan etc etc.

Monday had Pakenham Stynthetic , Tuesday had Ballarat again and many of the top trainers ..Maher, Moody, Freedman, Hayes, Busuttin etc all paticipating .

No doubt that overall , the races on TAB that one can bet on around the world are on non-turf tracks.

Sad I know.....but with the extremes in weather likely to increase ,those tracks keep the industry ticking away .

And the synthetic tracks aren't too bad to watch with horses closer in general and colours etc more obvious . Good for newcomers to get an intro to wagering in the Industry.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Get with the program Chief ,its a 4 day working week now...the traditional weekend brings change.

With a pocketful of cash after Thursday night trots into weekend , the lads were looking for races to bet on Friday.

The week in NZ had already been unique in that there had been THREE meetings on Synthetic in one week !

The Friday menu for gallops was Ballarat Synthetic , Canberra Acton and Carnavron Dirt..all non-turf !

Saturday included Gold Coast Synthetic , Broome Dirt , Darwin Dirt ...NZ had 4 x Jumps races at main meeting ,Australia rarely has jumps on a Saturday cos no-one bets on them !

Sunday had Devonport Synthetic and Alice Spring Dirt plus Singapore [50/50 mix] ,plus South Africa, Korea and Japan etc etc.

Monday had Pakenham Stynthetic , Tuesday had Ballarat again and many of the top trainers ..Maher, Moody, Freedman, Hayes, Busuttin etc all paticipating .

No doubt that overall , the races on TAB that one can bet on around the world are on non-turf tracks.

Sad I know.....but with the extremes in weather likely to increase ,those tracks keep the industry ticking away .

And the synthetic tracks aren't too bad to watch with horses closer in general and colours etc more obvious . Good for newcomers to get an intro to wagering in the Industry.

Pakenham getting more popular all the time.

Hey TABman , with USA and Japan running very big races on dirt , and Aus has a lot of those sort of surfaces too for bush racing. It Doesn't seem to worry the horses at all.

Could NZ do some dirt ? of do they already have one somewhere? 

• Like 1

...an intro to wagering in the Industry.

Not the sort of meeting that I choose to bet into!  I did manage to find some excitement when a mates 5 year old mare that he bred won!  via a inspired ride by KW! :)

A serious question,  how does the actually betting on these meetings stack up?

14 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Pakenham getting more popular all the time.

Hey TABman , with USA and Japan running very big races on dirt , and Aus has a lot of those sort of surfaces too for bush racing. It Doesn't seem to worry the horses at all.

Could NZ do some dirt ? of do they already have one somewhere? 

Not surprising when they have these facilities.  Most of Australia's top trainers have stables at Cranbourne or Pakenham.  Less than 30km between them.

PAKENHAM TRAINING COMPLEX

Located an hour from Melbourne, the Pakenham Race Club is one of the biggest racing and training precincts in Australia. The Club holds over 30 meetings a year and boasts some of the finest training facilities in the southern hemisphere which include

• 2400m Grass Course Proper
  • 2000m Polytrack
  • 1800m Training Grass
  • Two Sand Tracks
  • Swimming Pool – 50m straight pool
  • Dressage Arena

The new “1400m Hill” track is scheduled to open in the Spring of 2022 which is an exciting addition allowing to train the "English way" where horses are worked predominately uphill to build greater cardio and aerobic fitness whilst keeping the horses sounder.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Murray Fish said:

Not the sort of meeting that I choose to bet into!  I did manage to find some excitement when a mates 5 year old mare that he bred won!  via a inspired ride by KW! :)

A serious question,  how does the actually betting on these meetings stack up?

Did you not feel tempted to bet on your mates horse ?

Probably familiarity with owner/trainer/jockey is a motivating factor for many to have a bet.  I am not a huge punter, more a regular sort who prefers a bet if actually watching a race . To me ,and I guess a few others , a horse race is a horse race and a cigar is a good smoke.

If 10 x horses are running there will be some good each way divis and chance of a reasonable trifecta . Similar to grass track harness ,the ground is a great leveller .  Heavy 10 ditto !

I've never worried about how much is bet on a meeting , I would suspect most meetings run at a loss , and Group days [my preference] run at a big loss ! Betting is needed /essential for stakes of course but things like Greyhounds and Sports betting and gaming allow TAB profits to pay the stakes. Obviously these were falling well behind Owners acceptance levels so Entain thrown it a lifeline for5 years.

My personal enjoyment is attending some Group meetings incl Cup week each year ,the odd Aussie meeting live and having a small ownership interest in a few horses and having a few bets. So whatever a meetings betting is my interest can still be maintained , and if NZ shrinks further ,Australia is close at hand. 

I cant worry about things beyond my control......Most folk spend too much time and energy talking,thinking and worrying about things they are not responsible for and don't control.

Yes NZ racing much different from the 'Good old days' but were they actually that good ? A serious question for you !

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Yes NZ racing much different from the 'Good old days' but were they actually that good ? A serious question for you !

they were. everyone has their favourite horses and tracks and jockeys/drivers from last century as well as this.

seems everyone is more worried about track conditions and whip usage these days so that's a shame . but the Pokies (and extensive online coverage)  ruined it a lot by coming in and taking a lot of the gambling dollar plus the presence of spectators at the track 😪 .

anyway when you see Everst Day, Karaka Day , currently Royal Ascot , maybe Cup week too there is still plenty of people enjoying the day out  😀 and seeing the great horses race 🏇. Unfortunately for harness racing , the spectator days are gone , even for the brilliant and unique to harness racing Interdominion Championship, which used to have huge interest between our great 2 nations. Cambridge made a bold bid to rekindle some interest with the Race by Grins day Night of Champions , and getting the trotters going too now in a slot race and a decent crowd, and Aussie raiders 🇦🇺, and lots of entertainment I think. so let's hope that continues and the gallops slot race for BIG Bucks 💰 has great progress as well 👍 for next March.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Did you not feel tempted to bet on your mates horse ?

NO   I bet to Make a Profit, unlike the majority whom bet.

To do that (profit) I might watch 500 races without having a bet. 

Re the horse and race that I mentioned, I have a 'golden rule',  I Need to see my horse properly before the race,  I had the watch set for 6 mins before the off,  log on, to find the split screen up. Oh, the dog race has not been run! The boxes not working! the split screen jumps between the two venues, dog race continues to not run,  we see about half the gallops field,  including mates horse, which has presented the best yet of this campaign. Back to Dogs, race is run, back to gallops,  Not all horses have been shown! Race jumps, KW rides the race/track well.  Horse runs up to her good looks, wins well!! Horse really enjoys the run, comes back in with a new found confidence.   Brief mention by the talking heads about 1st win for young trainer, not sure if any more text on the story was produced!    sigh, just another day with race/race/race following on...  I be lucky though, I don't need to bet to get enjoyment! Knowing how the horse was bred and then that long journey of being nurtured  to get to the stage of finding out if it will actually get to have a race.  Owner thinks this will be his last one (he has been doing it for decades), mainly around he less and less enjoys how he is treated,  as in,  on any raceday, none of the staff seems to know his long involvement in the game,  never made to feel appreciated etc... 

• Champ Post 1