Bit Of A Yarn

Cambridge may have a Trial Meeting!

6 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

I cant worry about things beyond my control......Most folk spend too much time and energy talking,thinking and worrying about things they are not responsible for and don't control.

A very sensible approach.   

My background drives any actual 'worries' that I have might have.  Talking H&S   

Those worries this century, have been 100% around the presentation of tracks, often driven by 'the need' to having said track at X ratings.  Please remember, watering to x is very much a modern doing (early 90's?), ..  fact behind this weree that for instance horse numbers had started to drop off etc...

One of the privileges that I got from being the photographer was that I got to know a lots of jockeys on a personal level, Be they 'the guns' the journeymen/women,  the battlers, the apprentices!   What has scared me deeply is the fact that some of those 'workers' have gone to work and bam! life changed forever, be it via tragic chaos of a event within the race, or??? etc..   

You will recall, there was a series of race days, where the 'little people' were being sent around in the first! To Prove that the track was not safe, for Todays standards.   I 'know' 'old school'  the old toughen up would have been played!

Enough was enough, I proudly wear a Union Cap! I used those skills to bring about change! <---(that be the sort version), The Stipes now Know they will be liable,  I respect the improvement in the way they now deal with these tracks.  Gee, it was interesting to observe how certain named players thought about my actions!  For them, I use the old, you will move on.. one day I will piss on your grave! they be welcome to to the same!  

So there you go TABey,  

ps. note I didn't share my long list of banalities' around the many frustrations  that I have re the modern presentation of racing as it its now a days...  especially if one has a actual betting focus! I note the at times exciting use if modern digital cameras etc, my banes are driven by the choices of the directors and produces..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Yes NZ racing much different from the 'Good old days' but were they actually that good ? A serious question for you !

That would be a Yes and a NO :)

I start with a short cv on me and racing...

My family back ground, on Mums side, G Grandad win the 1926 Kumaru Nugget! Reon Murtha M 1st cussy,  nearly ever race he commentated was listened too,, On Dads side, back in the 1930's he had a team of 30 Clydesdales, after the war, he was a foreman at GH Woods grain store in Chch, where the likes of Jack Litten of  Caduceus fame brought their feed, 100% secrecy was locked in around what was put in by each trainer!!!  Btw, Mr Litten was a interesting fella, he gave Dad a chromed horses shoe when that horse retired! sadly that went missing,, 

My first actual ventures On Track were early 1970's,   starting with the home tracks of Addington and Riccarton.  

Addington back then really was Magic, the excitement started at the early August meetings,  there was a wonderful easily marked out race program in the lead up to the Cup in Nov...  Betting wise,  minimum options, W&P Main Double of the Day, race to race doubles, where if you got the first leg ticket in, you got to exchange them in the next leg.  jump to day, The don't even have to win 10 races to get to Open class, back then that was needed to get a start.  Re the betting, It was exciting at the beginning of each race to see the Tapes being pulled up and down to see what odds you horses were at!! I still recall the massive groan that went up when Arapahos divvy ($2.70) when up for the year he won the cup! : )      Jump to the future,  re betting,  now a days a massive increase in the betting options, but as I have mentioned elsewhere, the Take Outs from all these increased options comes with a sting in the tail! the $ is not churned over, the 'average' (mug) punter loses there stake quicker!   Tv coverage of course is way better in general ( I will comment later where it isn't), but there has been a slow negation of any interest I had/have in Harness, driven as much by when harness was more and more kicked over to Ch2.   "we" use to go out to Forbury to take a few photos and cheer on a few trainers that we knew who raced there, (Partners family had/have a long term interest in Harness, owning a NZ Cup winner and Horse of the year along the way),  with the demise of Forbury, my interest is now about 1.2%  I would Struggle to watch even the Cup.... enough on the trots..

re the Gallops,  Riccarton, gee, massive fields, in high sight, so hard to make money... Interestedly,  while we Addington dished up The Best, at Ricc one learnt that betting on local loyalty was challenging! For the big races those bloody Northerners would come down and gallop away with the $$$$ Fury Order blew me away,.. thank goodness for Show Gate and Grey Way...  

Also, if there wasn't a local meeting then 'we' (I could drop a few names of our gang from back there, one went on to win multiple training premierships, another a harness prem.. I'm sure we have punted Many Many Millions through the tote and often back then with the local bookie) would then go to the closes meeting for that Saturday!  where the beer was warm and the pies often cold!  I think that what was better, was that we were all in employment and had recreational money to spend!   One of the 'elephants in the room' re good old NZ is that since then, especially once the reality of the 'neo liberal' economic policy's kicked in,  especially biting in the early 90's, the reality is 60% of kiwis have had a falling real income. 

Something that I recon that was better,  though I didn't have the skills back then to use it to my advantage.

Was the great coverage we got via TV covering a big race meeting, 100% live, Glen Tucker and co...   sadly, racing never locked in copyright from that coverage so it is locked away in the faults on said company.. 

Back to my racing journey,  time was right for me to leave the home town,  (mid 70s) I knew a young golf pro (also a mad keen punter) working in Palm North, up I went, that lead to a job at local Billiards Room,  where the owner was a keen racing man, he always had a horse in work with his mate the hotelier (gee, a lot of them owned back then, cash was king),  a few jockeys were keen players! That led me to knowing Ken Lush, who owned Photopress, ken was a A Grade Snooker player) after I went overseas for a few years, back to PN, Ken suggested I give the camera a go, you can either do it! or Not! I could, that lead to me actually getting up close to the horses and the people that ride, strapped and trained them.  A very long slow apprentice was under taken regarding the presentation of a horse on race day, btw, most can't win the race they are in! Slowly I learnt how to actual end up the year with a Profit,  Based on 'my eye' seeing that Horse X has been presented in Peak Condition!   And having some shared insight into the form for said race! Often knowing what can't win is very important!   Something (making a profit!)  I pride myself on actually doing! year on year! It really is based on minimising ones loses..  I think I am the   antithesis of what the  TAB actually wants/needs.  I love small fields! I almost never bet into large fields, to much chaos, to much cognitive bias flows from 'unlucky runners' etc... 

Reflecting on the modern coverage via Tv,  as mentioned, a lot of the digital coverage is cool to the eye to watch, but nothing compared to how the likes of MLB and NFL now use it..   And to be brutally honest! sometimes I find myself left rather frustrated with the pre race coverage, as in not seeing all the horses, missing out of seeing their prelims, or you are seeing a horses arse run into the distance.. that still happens for G1 races!!!! where, as the years have gone on I have more and more focused my betting dollars.   lol, would you believe that I recon for the last ten meetings that I have been on course I can't recall having a bet, plenty of reddies in back pocket, but not my sort of races to bet into, hard to beat the tote and the local 'racing mafia', I do usually take 1000+ photos! and give most of them back to the battlers in the Industry..

To finish on betting, I hold No hope that the coverage I 'need/want' to bet is not going to be delivered!  I also note, that previously I have been the catalyses  ( I believe head office might use the halo effect!) for lost and lots of family, friends, etc having a bet, having a share in a horse, having any interest,  as I fade away, so does those their interest fade with that! The next generation of my close relatives who are all living in households where they are entering their peak earning years, all way above average! In their 20's they were go to Cup day etc, for the piss up etc, throw away a hundie betting, now, they be in their 30's, they don't need the antics of the present day 20 year old's getting pissed on those day, they just stop going, they find no interest in a race every 4 minutes..  more sometimes actually leads to less in the long run...

Note no mention of Sunset Industry! :)

So, as that book started off "It was the best of times, it was the worse of times', I be healthy, fit and happy! though some many of the people I have share a life journeys with are crapping out and dying!!! A bit like the modern racing industry, we can follow the glitch and glamour of  following the great exciting careers of a WINX or a J Mac!  Or by following the caeers of young trainers who we watched going to the races as Kids! the likes of Chris W, young Baker and Marsh.. or that young trainer who after 10 years has there first win!!!   But for some of us, we know of the struggles of the little battler at the coalface!  sigh, and,  as ever, I do share your goal of actually getting some enjoyment from racing! each has a different road to get there!!!!  lol, I have had a few 'dummy spits' over the last few years! materially driven by certain name players in the game! most have since moved on to greener pastures! but the scars have remained!!! 

that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

I cant worry about things beyond my control......Most folk spend too much time and energy talking,thinking and worrying about things they are not responsible for and don't control.

So you have zero influence as an owner?

I've never worried about how much is bet on a meeting , I would suspect most meetings run at a loss , and Group days [my preference] run at a big loss ! Betting is needed /essential for stakes of course but things like Greyhounds and Sports betting and gaming allow TAB profits to pay the stakes. Obviously these were falling well behind Owners acceptance levels so Entain thrown it a lifeline for5 years.

So you are happy for the 'Sport of Kings' to be subsidised by others?  Including the taxpayer.

Entain are spending shareholders money and if in 5 years time they are not making a profit from their NZ business they will pull the plug.

I gather you are one of those types that has a small % in a horse(s) and pitches up on the big days, drinks with the bourgeoisie and at the end of the day when the track is obviously off and your chances were extinguished say "oh well, that's racing, I can't control things"?

Have you ever stopped to think that that approach may be the biggest reason why racing is in decline and unable to pay its way without subsidisation, shareholder and taxpayer funding and pokie problem gambler?

• Bad Post 1

The cannibalization of the tote will eventually be to the demise of racing but will also, by going back to tote only betting for horses, be in the future its savior. Look no further than HK and France. Sports betting belongs to the bookies and despite all the rhetoric it is not hard to see that is where Entain's real interest lies. The best thing that can happen is their parent company realizes they have backed a real outsider and cut their losses. That will probably happen sooner than later.   

At that point a total clear out of NZTR/TAB executive will then have a back to the future effect.

In the meantime I look forward to spring racing on properly renovated tracks  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Wingman said:

In the meantime I look forward to spring racing on properly renovated tracks  

sigh, it seems like spring itself! I be lining up there with you.. 'We' keep meaning to get back on course someday! Some really top horses ran there in early 90's, a cool time to be on course! :)

Talking those HB 3 G1's, they have seemed to have worked well historically,  anyone up to date with how their strength have stacked up lately?  

14 hours ago, Murray Fish said:

A very sensible approach.   

My background drives any actual 'worries' that I have might have.  Talking H&S   

Those worries this century, have been 100% around the presentation of tracks, often driven by 'the need' to having said track at X ratings.  Please remember, watering to x is very much a modern doing (early 90's?), ..  fact behind this weree that for instance horse numbers had started to drop off etc...

One of the privileges that I got from being the photographer was that I got to know a lots of jockeys on a personal level, Be they 'the guns' the journeymen/women,  the battlers, the apprentices!   What has scared me deeply is the fact that some of those 'workers' have gone to work and bam! life changed forever, be it via tragic chaos of a event within the race, or??? etc..   

You will recall, there was a series of race days, where the 'little people' were being sent around in the first! To Prove that the track was not safe, for Todays standards.   I 'know' 'old school'  the old toughen up would have been played!

Enough was enough, I proudly wear a Union Cap! I used those skills to bring about change! <---(that be the sort version), The Stipes now Know they will be liable,  I respect the improvement in the way they now deal with these tracks.  Gee, it was interesting to observe how certain named players thought about my actions!  For them, I use the old, you will move on.. one day I will piss on your grave! they be welcome to to the same!  

So there you go TABey,  

ps. note I didn't share my long list of banalities' around the many frustrations  that I have re the modern presentation of racing as it its now a days...  especially if one has a actual betting focus! I note the at times exciting use if modern digital cameras etc, my banes are driven by the choices of the directors and produces..

Good on ya....if everyone was the same it would be a very boring world !

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Murray Fish said:

That would be a Yes and a NO :)

I start with a short cv on me and racing...

My family back ground, on Mums side, G Grandad win the 1926 Kumaru Nugget! Reon Murtha M 1st cussy,  nearly ever race he commentated was listened too,, On Dads side, back in the 1930's he had a team of 30 Clydesdales, after the war, he was a foreman at GH Woods grain store in Chch, where the likes of Jack Litten of  Caduceus fame brought their feed, 100% secrecy was locked in around what was put in by each trainer!!!  Btw, Mr Litten was a interesting fella, he gave Dad a chromed horses shoe when that horse retired! sadly that went missing,, 

My first actual ventures On Track were early 1970's,   starting with the home tracks of Addington and Riccarton.  

Addington back then really was Magic, the excitement started at the early August meetings,  there was a wonderful easily marked out race program in the lead up to the Cup in Nov...  Betting wise,  minimum options, W&P Main Double of the Day, race to race doubles, where if you got the first leg ticket in, you got to exchange them in the next leg.  jump to day, The don't even have to win 10 races to get to Open class, back then that was needed to get a start.  Re the betting, It was exciting at the beginning of each race to see the Tapes being pulled up and down to see what odds you horses were at!! I still recall the massive groan that went up when Arapahos divvy ($2.70) when up for the year he won the cup! : )      Jump to the future,  re betting,  now a days a massive increase in the betting options, but as I have mentioned elsewhere, the Take Outs from all these increased options comes with a sting in the tail! the $ is not churned over, the 'average' (mug) punter loses there stake quicker!   Tv coverage of course is way better in general ( I will comment later where it isn't), but there has been a slow negation of any interest I had/have in Harness, driven as much by when harness was more and more kicked over to Ch2.   "we" use to go out to Forbury to take a few photos and cheer on a few trainers that we knew who raced there, (Partners family had/have a long term interest in Harness, owning a NZ Cup winner and Horse of the year along the way),  with the demise of Forbury, my interest is now about 1.2%  I would Struggle to watch even the Cup.... enough on the trots..

re the Gallops,  Riccarton, gee, massive fields, in high sight, so hard to make money... Interestedly,  while we Addington dished up The Best, at Ricc one learnt that betting on local loyalty was challenging! For the big races those bloody Northerners would come down and gallop away with the $$$$ Fury Order blew me away,.. thank goodness for Show Gate and Grey Way...  

Also, if there wasn't a local meeting then 'we' (I could drop a few names of our gang from back there, one went on to win multiple training premierships, another a harness prem.. I'm sure we have punted Many Many Millions through the tote and often back then with the local bookie) would then go to the closes meeting for that Saturday!  where the beer was warm and the pies often cold!  I think that what was better, was that we were all in employment and had recreational money to spend!   One of the 'elephants in the room' re good old NZ is that since then, especially once the reality of the 'neo liberal' economic policy's kicked in,  especially biting in the early 90's, the reality is 60% of kiwis have had a falling real income. 

Something that I recon that was better,  though I didn't have the skills back then to use it to my advantage.

Was the great coverage we got via TV covering a big race meeting, 100% live, Glen Tucker and co...   sadly, racing never locked in copyright from that coverage so it is locked away in the faults on said company.. 

Back to my racing journey,  time was right for me to leave the home town,  (mid 70s) I knew a young golf pro (also a mad keen punter) working in Palm North, up I went, that lead to a job at local Billiards Room,  where the owner was a keen racing man, he always had a horse in work with his mate the hotelier (gee, a lot of them owned back then, cash was king),  a few jockeys were keen players! That led me to knowing Ken Lush, who owned Photopress, ken was a A Grade Snooker player) after I went overseas for a few years, back to PN, Ken suggested I give the camera a go, you can either do it! or Not! I could, that lead to me actually getting up close to the horses and the people that ride, strapped and trained them.  A very long slow apprentice was under taken regarding the presentation of a horse on race day, btw, most can't win the race they are in! Slowly I learnt how to actual end up the year with a Profit,  Based on 'my eye' seeing that Horse X has been presented in Peak Condition!   And having some shared insight into the form for said race! Often knowing what can't win is very important!   Something (making a profit!)  I pride myself on actually doing! year on year! It really is based on minimising ones loses..  I think I am the   antithesis of what the  TAB actually wants/needs.  I love small fields! I almost never bet into large fields, to much chaos, to much cognitive bias flows from 'unlucky runners' etc... 

Reflecting on the modern coverage via Tv,  as mentioned, a lot of the digital coverage is cool to the eye to watch, but nothing compared to how the likes of MLB and NFL now use it..   And to be brutally honest! sometimes I find myself left rather frustrated with the pre race coverage, as in not seeing all the horses, missing out of seeing their prelims, or you are seeing a horses arse run into the distance.. that still happens for G1 races!!!! where, as the years have gone on I have more and more focused my betting dollars.   lol, would you believe that I recon for the last ten meetings that I have been on course I can't recall having a bet, plenty of reddies in back pocket, but not my sort of races to bet into, hard to beat the tote and the local 'racing mafia', I do usually take 1000+ photos! and give most of them back to the battlers in the Industry..

To finish on betting, I hold No hope that the coverage I 'need/want' to bet is not going to be delivered!  I also note, that previously I have been the catalyses  ( I believe head office might use the halo effect!) for lost and lots of family, friends, etc having a bet, having a share in a horse, having any interest,  as I fade away, so does those their interest fade with that! The next generation of my close relatives who are all living in households where they are entering their peak earning years, all way above average! In their 20's they were go to Cup day etc, for the piss up etc, throw away a hundie betting, now, they be in their 30's, they don't need the antics of the present day 20 year old's getting pissed on those day, they just stop going, they find no interest in a race every 4 minutes..  more sometimes actually leads to less in the long run...

Note no mention of Sunset Industry! :)

So, as that book started off "It was the best of times, it was the worse of times', I be healthy, fit and happy! though some many of the people I have share a life journeys with are crapping out and dying!!! A bit like the modern racing industry, we can follow the glitch and glamour of  following the great exciting careers of a WINX or a J Mac!  Or by following the caeers of young trainers who we watched going to the races as Kids! the likes of Chris W, young Baker and Marsh.. or that young trainer who after 10 years has there first win!!!   But for some of us, we know of the struggles of the little battler at the coalface!  sigh, and,  as ever, I do share your goal of actually getting some enjoyment from racing! each has a different road to get there!!!!  lol, I have had a few 'dummy spits' over the last few years! materially driven by certain name players in the game! most have since moved on to greener pastures! but the scars have remained!!! 

that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

Enjoyed the read....back in the day it seems South Islanders took the sport more seriously .Nothing to do with less to do down South! .Many of the top horses,jocks and trainers were in the South.

Up North they were buying Boats ,Family bachs/cribs and learning to drink wine !

Recently you asked me who made up the 'tight - five' on here. As your long post has not been dissected by the Boss I'd say you are sure getting close to it !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

So you have zero influence as an owner?

So you are happy for the 'Sport of Kings' to be subsidised by others?  Including the taxpayer.

Entain are spending shareholders money and if in 5 years time they are not making a profit from their NZ business they will pull the plug.

I gather you are one of those types that has a small % in a horse(s) and pitches up on the big days, drinks with the bourgeoisie and at the end of the day when the track is obviously off and your chances were extinguished say "oh well, that's racing, I can't control things"?

Have you ever stopped to think that that approach may be the biggest reason why racing is in decline and unable to pay its way without subsidisation, shareholder and taxpayer funding and pokie problem gambler?

As a syndicate member I accept that influence is very low to zero but I do often make thoughts known and suggest Changes, but generally understand I have little control over folk 'groups with bigger interests. Thats basic living and getting along. But I do control my Attitude , my goals, my plans and ability to turn knowledge into action. As you'd expect from a ex-Christ College ,Cost Accountant , Plonker who rocks up on racings big days drinking with the  bourgeoisie !

And I OK with racing getting Tax relief and subsidies..Since the year dot it long considered taxes taken from racing were excessive and with the huge number employed in it still I think it OK that are shared around. 

And I will happily take it on a personal level having collected many Taxes on behalf of the Govt thru GST , PAYE and Income tax on modest profits made from a couple of businesses.

But I very unlikely to stop and think about Tax while at the races for the day, and I get to my fair share.

Have you ever stopped to think DIFFERENTLY.....and concentrate on things you are responsible for and can do something about.

7 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Have you ever stopped to think DIFFERENTLY.....and concentrate on things you are responsible for and can do something about.

Well Chief definitely does that mate. he's invested in this site that has put forward many great stories, experiences and ideas which people can take on-board (or Not 😁) and there has been plenty of knowledge to be gained as well. about the current racing events and plenty of thoughts on tracks,  jockeys , even some recipes for (for horses), traffic conditions on the track and even a bit of horse-play here and there. There is always optimists amid the pessimists 😄. sometimes I think the criticism is harsh but when you watch the Political Parties in Parliament battling it out , you can see even the' runners of the country' set the example for these things lol. ..

shame about Ellerslie, would of been great to have it up and running . That might have helped the racing situation improve ?.  They had some awful trouble getting Eagle Farm right as well in Brissy. Re-did it 3 times I think over about 4 years. Just a thankless Job trying to develop a race track 🤕 

• Like 2

Good on ya....if everyone was the same it would be a very boring world !

One thing I do know, yip,  my journey has been anything but boring, phew, at times "hold on, rapids again approaching", and of course, I did actually forget to mention,  was involved at a grassroots level at attempting to get a Stableshands Union up and running, sadly on the wrong side of the tide for that to happen, but working along side Bud Flavell (racecourse D, a top man in my view) we did manage to take some trainers to labour court, and won!.. Then there was effort put in trying to get Punters Assoc up and running, using lost ticket money, struggled to get traction, key staff inside HO left and that drifted off in history.   Could mention the energy into trying to get a Racing Museum up and running! I dont know if you use to visit r...cafe,  quite a few moons back, I use to run (via Abit Roughhouse), some popular Historical Quiz's,  cunning ones where Prof Google was not helpful with!   Some wonder why I be happy to share stories like this, happy to forewarn anyone about my 'racing interest's and history' if you ever meet up with me you find that all out quickly.  Of course, the big advantage of ever meeting face to face, there are stories that can only be shared in person! after vetting has taken place! Like the G1 horse who was keen on the cannabis,... :)

Oh for memories!  important, but the presence into the future be way more Important!   Happy to report! had all the needed blood and fitness test back recently, GP smiled and said, "well done for all the hard work!" test all as needed to be, and Vo2max  Elite! I'll take that! Life has taught me a few things, one being, if you need to Talk up to Power! then being at your Fighting Weight be Important! Plenty of fight in this dog still!!! and You?

Enjoyed the read.

Recently you asked me who made up the 'tight - five' on here. As your long post has not been dissected by the Boss I'd say you are sure getting close to it !

thank you.  re me and CS,  we know some of each others prior work history, perhaps, he saving things up for some future polemic brutal polemic!  lol,  I've been involved with sites like this for a long time, actually going back to the Bulletin boards of the early 90's, a rough frontier it was then, mainly made up of 'bright young nerd's',  lots of Testosterone  and not many critical thinking skills, jump today, perhaps for here, potentially more critical thinking skills shown,  and perhaps more use of Viagra. :)

But hey, in the end, shouldn't a site like this be enjoyable to log onto and use! That starts with each of us working out how to best present and share our views!  All around the commonality of our share interest in things racing, maturity needed when we agree to disagree.  I do Tip my hat towards CS, a thankless taste it can be running any site like this!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gammalite said:

They had some awful trouble getting Eagle Farm right as well in Brissy. Re-did it 3 times I think over about 4 years. Just a thankless Job trying to develop a race track 🤕 

How did Flemington get it right?  Or for that matter the new track developments done by Racing Victoria?  It isn't as if there aren't any exemplars.  Why did we need to reinvent the wheel and not follow the best of the best?

26 minutes ago, Wingman said:

Flemington do not scrimp on maintenance and are generous with the time set aside each year for scheduled maintenance

Yes we have discussed that on BOAY before and I've loaded details and pictures on the maintenance work they do.  I understand they do yearly maintenance each year that most of our tracks would dearly love to have and then a major renovation every 4 years.  They also seem to have a system of rotation amongst their tracks allowing for this work to occur without disruption.

Now that rotation concept is akin to farming where paddocks or fields are renovated on a periodic basis.  But we are locking up some of those racing "paddocks"!